DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling What Ifs

Web Conn

On 6/10/2019 at 4:39 AM, Brian Fowler said:

If WWE are paying for them, then it's strange they are also seemingly influenced by them.

A video of Braun, and Bobby Lashley got 12 million views last week. You don’t see those two being the center of the program a week later.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

8 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

A video of Braun, and Bobby Lashley got 12 million views last week. You don’t see those two being the center of the program a week later.

Even then.

Let's say WWE is paying for social media likes/views to do this.

Which is REALLY more likely for WWE to pay for social media likes/views for: "WWE pays for social media likes/views for a really big storyline that's flailing so that it looks like it's capturing fans' attention and looks better", or "WWE pays for social media likes/views for some random jobber, so that WWE could turn around and justify giving that jobber a huge push even though the jobber's relatively unpopular...even though maybe 0.0001% of the IWC would even notice how big those social media likes/views are for the jobber, and even THEY won't be convinced it's worthy of them getting a World Title push?"

If WWE was really paying for social media likes and views, they wouldn't be paying for them to benefit Jinder Mahal. They'd pay for the views to make Roman Reigns look like he's a mega-star on Youtube. 

Edited by SorceressKnight

@SorceressKnight Oh I’m not saying the WWE is paying for views/likes. I’m saying that I don’t think Vince puts that much stock into them these days, as he did when he tried the Jinder thing. 

Also if anybody is paying for views/likes it’s the wrestlers themselves. I’m looking at you Braun! I mean I can understand lifting cars, but I think the Russian bots went overboard with that arm wrestling contest.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

@SorceressKnight Oh I’m not saying the WWE is paying for views/likes. I’m saying that I don’t think Vince puts that much stock into them these days, as he did when he tried the Jinder thing. 

Also if anybody is paying for views/likes it’s the wrestlers themselves. I’m looking at you Braun! I mean I can understand lifting cars, but I think the Russian bots went overboard with that arm wrestling contest.

All of this just reminding me of six weeks ago when I posted something tagging Paul Heyman's Twitter handle and then it got liked by over 100 bot accounts with feeds that just were retweeting and liking the same Paul Heyman related posts and tweets from elsewhere.

And then I called it out publicly in another post and the likes stopped IMMEDIATELY. 

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, clintthecrippler said:

All of this just reminding me of six weeks ago when I posted something tagging Paul Heyman's Twitter handle and then it got liked by over 100 bot accounts with feeds that just were retweeting and liking the same Paul Heyman related posts and tweets from elsewhere.

And then I called it out publicly in another post and the likes stopped IMMEDIATELY. 

We’ve reached a new age of carny If workers are using bots.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

We’ve reached a new age of carny If workers are using bots.

I would have been genuinely shocked if I experienced that with anyone in wrestling EXCEPT Paul Heyman. When I realized what was happening my response was basically "yeah, I can totally see Paul Heyman buying bot farms to support his Internet media ventures."

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

Cuban Assassin would have had a money finish.

Better yet... Cuban Assasin has this move in his arsenal, but he never uses it, it’s just a scare tactic. His opponents just agree to his demands for a draw.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, L_W_P said:

Not sure if this has been asked but: What if Bischoff takes a liking to Jean Paul Levesque's clean cut behavior & thirst for backstage knowledge and takes him under his TV/production wing?

JPL gets to the end of his contract in 95 and, without extra money to offer, Eric instead puts forward a kind of internship/mentoring role to show how they write the show, how the camera crew setup, what they are looking for in terms of visual story telling etc. He would stay a mid card guy in the ring, but out of the ring Eric would look to transition him into more of a producer's role.

Is that something that could have kept Hunter around in WCW? How does JPL look in the 1996 WCW midcard with the luchadores, ECW talent etc coming through? What happens to the Kliq without their designated driver? Assuming Hunter stayed until 99/00 what does his WWE career look like with his backstage education?

A lot to think about but I really wonder if WCW couldn't have done more to keep him beyond a token offer of a couple extra $$.

If The Bisch is to believed it was always JPL's goal to wrestle for the WWF. Being a northeast kid it makes sense. 

• Like 1

I was a fan of JPL squash matches, and he quickly developed into a solid in ring guy. 

But, as smart as he is, I just can't imagine WCW/Bischoff giving a random midcard guy that kind of a role (although Vince apparently did even before H started dating his daughter)

I think the saddest possible outcome is the clique dying in a tragic car accident when one of them drives while drunk and wrecked on somas.

15 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

But, as smart as he is, I just can't imagine WCW/Bischoff giving a random midcard guy that kind of a role (although Vince apparently did even before H started dating his daughter).

In defense there, WCW did let Disco Inferno join the writing team. 

However, also in defense, Disco Inferno had some insane ideas and good, bad, or otherwise you could see Disco Inferno was a creative guy. By contrast, NXT is an amazing show, but NXT kind of lost the creative spark it had when Dusty Rhodes died (and there's reason to believe Dusty was behind all of the "characters" in NXT...with the all HHH era seeming to be "hire another indy darling and that'll let us coast for a taping spree or two."

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

I think the biggest thing hurting NXT is that they've stopped calling up the main event acts as often.

Then, you've got the issue of how poorly they're utilized when they do get called up.

15 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Well, yeah, but that doesn't hurt NXT.

That's the whole problem, though.

Call a performer up too early, and it's guaranteeing they'll flail- a lot of the least popular NXT callups seem to have the same point of "they were called up too soon and couldn't get a crowd reaction."

Call them up too late, and you'll get their whole story arc written in one place and there'll be nowhere new to go with them (Bayley's a good example- they just told so much of the Bayley character and explored the room so much it became impossible to do anything with her on the main roster that wouldn't be a retread, and guaranteed she'd flail.)

And it's very rare they found the EXACT sweet spot of times to call someone up where there was a case of "leave them wanting more". Really, Enzo and Cass might be one of the only examples of the right time- they explored the room with them and told most of the story- but the fans still had that nagging "we want to see them finally WIN THE BIG ONE" so that there was a place to go with them.

(Actually, say what you will about Enzo, but WWE always had the right sense of the moment with him: Call up Enzo and Cass right before they won the big one in NXT so that fans would have something to hope for. When the Hardyz came back and slammed their window shut, break them up just as the fans would be devastated, but it would still mean something. And then finally, turn Enzo heel the second that it became clear the fans were getting sick of him.) 

Edited by SorceressKnight
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Jinder is a good solid hand that shouldn’t be a main eventer but could work your midcard for years.  He is a housecard hero where he’s not going to blow out your main event, going to get some cheap heat and do some fun gaga.  While his offense is the definition of pedestrian, he can have a role.

• 1 month later...

Here is a big one!
What if Masahiro Chono doesn't shoot his already fucked up back to shit in 98 during his IWGP title run? I mean what was the long term plan? Not Muto right? Was it all to set-up him and big Hash for the Tokyo Dome? I mean Chono had to vacate before he made a single defense

James

Edited by J.H.

Since people were discussing Doink squash matches in the monthly wrestling chat thread and I just so happen to be watching WrestleWar 92, I think I came up with a decent What If after looking into the Observer covering the show.

6. Big Josh pinned Richard Morton (Morton was a last minute sub for Diamond Studd Scott Hall who quit the promotion that day after asking for and getting turned down in his quest for a guaranteed contract--the new contact he was given reportedly was for $300 per night with no guarantee as to the number of dates; Hall was being groomed for a program with Dustin Rhodes and to possibly be Larry Zbyszko's replacement in the Dangerous Alliance) in 7:26 in another unadvertised match

Instead of becoming Razor Ramon a few months later, what if Bill Watts decided to give Scott Hall that contract and Scott Hall stays in WCW until Hogan gets there or at least the start of the Monday Night Wars? 

Feuding with Dustin Rhodes and being put in the Dangerous Alliance? That's what Steve Austin was doing in 1992. Does this mean that Austin got his initial WCW push because Hall left, and he was moved into the spot?