DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling What Ifs

Web Conn

The big problem with Jinder is that even if it failed, they went too far to the other side.

What's forgotten about Jinder's big push is before it happened- he deserved a chance to be weighed originally and see if there was more. Jinder Mahal moments had incredible Youtube views for months prior to the push, and on paper, that's right to say "wait a second- there MIGHT be a chance for this guy to be good.  Let's try a push for him."

The bigger problem is that they went too far, too fast. (Heck, if they swapped the title feuds and had Jinder as US Champ and Orton vs. Owens as the World Title feud, Smackdown is better as whole.

24 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Nia is wildly inconsistent. She's had good matches with Bayley, Ronda, and Auska, but she's also had terrible matches a lot.

Agree with this. Nia's best matches are a lot better than anything I've seen involving Jinder, but she also looks really awful at times, while Jinder is consistently sort of blandly competent. 

21 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

What's forgotten about Jinder's big push is before it happened- he deserved a chance to be weighed originally and see if there was more. Jinder Mahal moments had incredible Youtube views for months prior to the push,

Did they really? I don't recall his being involved in anything interesting that would explain that.

Yeah. WWE saw the Indian Youtube views and thought "wait, Jinder is a huge draw on Youtube in India, maybe we can do something with this!" (IIRC, it's the same reason that WWE gave Kavita Devi a contract after her 2017 MYC match had ungodly Youtube views compared to other MYC matches.

Then when WWE realized "by and large, India likes to watch Youtube and don't like to pay for TV services- especially when they get WWE programming on free TV", it failed. Now, the only question mark is if the current great 24/7 Title views (most of which have Jinder Mahal fighting for the title) play into that or not.

5 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

WWE's YouTube stuff gets an inordinately high percentage of views from India, iirc.

Then the actual India tour flopped, so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

'Paid for' social media views/likes methinks

4 minutes ago, CreativeControl said:

'Paid for' social media views/likes methinks

If WWE are paying for them, then it's strange they are also seemingly influenced by them.

On 6/8/2019 at 1:16 PM, For Great Justice said:

Well not all the matches. Lest we forget the Undertaker match.

Taker's inability to do business here was really weird as him and JBL were tight backstage so you'd think he'd want to put him over strong ala Eddie. Whether it was a case of protecting the dead man gimmick because they were re-establishing it at this time I'm not sure.

On 6/10/2019 at 4:39 AM, Brian Fowler said:

If WWE are paying for them, then it's strange they are also seemingly influenced by them.

A video of Braun, and Bobby Lashley got 12 million views last week. You don’t see those two being the center of the program a week later.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

8 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

A video of Braun, and Bobby Lashley got 12 million views last week. You don’t see those two being the center of the program a week later.

Even then.

Let's say WWE is paying for social media likes/views to do this.

Which is REALLY more likely for WWE to pay for social media likes/views for: "WWE pays for social media likes/views for a really big storyline that's flailing so that it looks like it's capturing fans' attention and looks better", or "WWE pays for social media likes/views for some random jobber, so that WWE could turn around and justify giving that jobber a huge push even though the jobber's relatively unpopular...even though maybe 0.0001% of the IWC would even notice how big those social media likes/views are for the jobber, and even THEY won't be convinced it's worthy of them getting a World Title push?"

If WWE was really paying for social media likes and views, they wouldn't be paying for them to benefit Jinder Mahal. They'd pay for the views to make Roman Reigns look like he's a mega-star on Youtube. 

Edited by SorceressKnight

@SorceressKnight Oh I’m not saying the WWE is paying for views/likes. I’m saying that I don’t think Vince puts that much stock into them these days, as he did when he tried the Jinder thing. 

Also if anybody is paying for views/likes it’s the wrestlers themselves. I’m looking at you Braun! I mean I can understand lifting cars, but I think the Russian bots went overboard with that arm wrestling contest.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

@SorceressKnight Oh I’m not saying the WWE is paying for views/likes. I’m saying that I don’t think Vince puts that much stock into them these days, as he did when he tried the Jinder thing. 

Also if anybody is paying for views/likes it’s the wrestlers themselves. I’m looking at you Braun! I mean I can understand lifting cars, but I think the Russian bots went overboard with that arm wrestling contest.

All of this just reminding me of six weeks ago when I posted something tagging Paul Heyman's Twitter handle and then it got liked by over 100 bot accounts with feeds that just were retweeting and liking the same Paul Heyman related posts and tweets from elsewhere.

And then I called it out publicly in another post and the likes stopped IMMEDIATELY. 

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, clintthecrippler said:

All of this just reminding me of six weeks ago when I posted something tagging Paul Heyman's Twitter handle and then it got liked by over 100 bot accounts with feeds that just were retweeting and liking the same Paul Heyman related posts and tweets from elsewhere.

And then I called it out publicly in another post and the likes stopped IMMEDIATELY. 

We’ve reached a new age of carny If workers are using bots.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

We’ve reached a new age of carny If workers are using bots.

I would have been genuinely shocked if I experienced that with anyone in wrestling EXCEPT Paul Heyman. When I realized what was happening my response was basically "yeah, I can totally see Paul Heyman buying bot farms to support his Internet media ventures."

• Like 1

Not sure if this has been asked but: What if Bischoff takes a liking to Jean Paul Levesque's clean cut behavior & thirst for backstage knowledge and takes him under his TV/production wing?

JPL gets to the end of his contract in 95 and, without extra money to offer, Eric instead puts forward a kind of internship/mentoring role to show how they write the show, how the camera crew setup, what they are looking for in terms of visual story telling etc. He would stay a mid card guy in the ring, but out of the ring Eric would look to transition him into more of a producer's role.

Is that something that could have kept Hunter around in WCW? How does JPL look in the 1996 WCW midcard with the luchadores, ECW talent etc coming through? What happens to the Kliq without their designated driver? Assuming Hunter stayed until 99/00 what does his WWE career look like with his backstage education?

A lot to think about but I really wonder if WCW couldn't have done more to keep him beyond a token offer of a couple extra $$.

6 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

Cuban Assassin would have had a money finish.

Better yet... Cuban Assasin has this move in his arsenal, but he never uses it, it’s just a scare tactic. His opponents just agree to his demands for a draw.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, L_W_P said:

Not sure if this has been asked but: What if Bischoff takes a liking to Jean Paul Levesque's clean cut behavior & thirst for backstage knowledge and takes him under his TV/production wing?

JPL gets to the end of his contract in 95 and, without extra money to offer, Eric instead puts forward a kind of internship/mentoring role to show how they write the show, how the camera crew setup, what they are looking for in terms of visual story telling etc. He would stay a mid card guy in the ring, but out of the ring Eric would look to transition him into more of a producer's role.

Is that something that could have kept Hunter around in WCW? How does JPL look in the 1996 WCW midcard with the luchadores, ECW talent etc coming through? What happens to the Kliq without their designated driver? Assuming Hunter stayed until 99/00 what does his WWE career look like with his backstage education?

A lot to think about but I really wonder if WCW couldn't have done more to keep him beyond a token offer of a couple extra $$.

If The Bisch is to believed it was always JPL's goal to wrestle for the WWF. Being a northeast kid it makes sense. 

• Like 1

I was a fan of JPL squash matches, and he quickly developed into a solid in ring guy. 

But, as smart as he is, I just can't imagine WCW/Bischoff giving a random midcard guy that kind of a role (although Vince apparently did even before H started dating his daughter)

I think the saddest possible outcome is the clique dying in a tragic car accident when one of them drives while drunk and wrecked on somas.