DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling What Ifs

Web Conn

10 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Any great Jinder WWE Main Event matches you can recommend?

30 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

He isn't a bad wrestler. He's just kind of there.

You leave me with little choice but to again politely encourage you to read my posts before you decide to reply to them.

Well there are an army of agents in the back. If none of them can get anything out of you when laying out a match, then you aren’t a “kind of there” guy, you’re just “bad”. You can’t salvage something like that. Regardless, yes the booking is bad, and with the right booking a guy who never had the ability shouldn’t have been the top heel of a weekly program out of nowhere. If the company was better run on the production side, there would be 20 guys who should’ve been up for that part way before Jinder. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Well there are an army of agents in the back. If none of them can get anything out of you when laying out a match, then you aren’t a “kind of there” guy, you’re just “bad”.

Which matches, specifically, were terrible ones *because of something Jinder did*? Which spots, specifically, did Jinder blow? What did he do that was not exactly what he was told to do?

16 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

Which matches, specifically, were terrible ones *because of something Jinder did*? Which spots, specifically, did Jinder blow? What did he do that was not exactly what he was told to do?

Do I need to find botches? Because every wrestler has one, even the best. If you are looking for bad Jinder matches then look at all the ones he had with Orton, and Hardy.

What did he do that was not exactly what he was told to do?”

Why should I tell you? Don’t you hate speculation of things backstage we don’t know about?  

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

13 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

Why, specifically, were those bad matches, and why, specifically, is that all Jinder's fault?

He’s bad at filling out the body of a singles match when he’s in control, and only knows the basic hokey stuff he was taught. It wasn’t just when he was in a top spot, but also when they decided to move him into a gatekeeper mid-card spot, and that turned out bad too. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2

And if we are removing agency from all WWE wrestlers, then nothing is worth praising or criticizing other than the behind-the-curtain staff. His delivery in both promos and matches was not good. For a colossal human being, he has little presence. I think most fans recognized Nakamura for what he was well before that point, and while it would've been neat to see him go from strength to strength after winning the Rumble in hopes of him maybe turning it around in terms of effort and output I don't think there were many around that were super high on him at that point. Still, anybody would've been better than Jinder at that stage.

Randy Orton, for as much shit as he gets for milking it and most of it deservedly so, busted his ass to get Jinder over in that series of matches. There's also a difference between comparing a midcard lifer like JBL getting a huge main event push and a guy who hadn't won a match in like a year before they started the big push and had never been anything in WWE but the third guy in a jobber comedy act. They originally let him go for a reason.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

He’s bad at filling out the body of a singles match when he’s in control, and only knows the basic hokey stuff he was taught. It wasn’t just when he was in a top spot, but also when they decided to move him into a gatekeeper mid-card spot, and that turned out bad too. 

I know you saw me say specifically three times.

4 hours ago, Oyaji said:

I think most fans recognized Nakamura for what he was well before that point, and while it would've been neat to see him go from strength to strength after winning the Rumble in hopes of him maybe turning it around in terms of effort and output I don't think there were many around that were super high on him at that point. Still, anybody would've been better than Jinder at that stage.

I think your timeline is off here. Jinder won the title like a month after Nak's main roster debut and lost it before Nak won the Rumble. Not that it matters all that much - if people weren't wanting Nak, they would have wanted Styles. I just don't see how he was egregiously terrible. He's a boring, mediocre wrestler who was The Wrong Guy and he got crucified for it. Jinder's been fine enough before in some spots (3MB, the recent 24/7 stuff). There are main roster wrestlers that are far worse.

55 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

There are main roster wrestlers that are far worse.

Name one.

200.gif

I stand corrected. Name Five.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Lars comes off as a terrifying neanderthal with real presence. No Way Jose is the perfect house show/opener guy, which is more than I can say about Jinder. Nia is the only one that's received any semblance of a push though and I think there have been several good Nia Jax matches (almost exclusively with Asuka). She also at least partially got over. I dunno.

Edited by Oyaji

The big problem with Jinder is that even if it failed, they went too far to the other side.

What's forgotten about Jinder's big push is before it happened- he deserved a chance to be weighed originally and see if there was more. Jinder Mahal moments had incredible Youtube views for months prior to the push, and on paper, that's right to say "wait a second- there MIGHT be a chance for this guy to be good.  Let's try a push for him."

The bigger problem is that they went too far, too fast. (Heck, if they swapped the title feuds and had Jinder as US Champ and Orton vs. Owens as the World Title feud, Smackdown is better as whole.

24 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Nia is wildly inconsistent. She's had good matches with Bayley, Ronda, and Auska, but she's also had terrible matches a lot.

Agree with this. Nia's best matches are a lot better than anything I've seen involving Jinder, but she also looks really awful at times, while Jinder is consistently sort of blandly competent. 

21 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

What's forgotten about Jinder's big push is before it happened- he deserved a chance to be weighed originally and see if there was more. Jinder Mahal moments had incredible Youtube views for months prior to the push,

Did they really? I don't recall his being involved in anything interesting that would explain that.

Yeah. WWE saw the Indian Youtube views and thought "wait, Jinder is a huge draw on Youtube in India, maybe we can do something with this!" (IIRC, it's the same reason that WWE gave Kavita Devi a contract after her 2017 MYC match had ungodly Youtube views compared to other MYC matches.

Then when WWE realized "by and large, India likes to watch Youtube and don't like to pay for TV services- especially when they get WWE programming on free TV", it failed. Now, the only question mark is if the current great 24/7 Title views (most of which have Jinder Mahal fighting for the title) play into that or not.

5 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

WWE's YouTube stuff gets an inordinately high percentage of views from India, iirc.

Then the actual India tour flopped, so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

'Paid for' social media views/likes methinks

4 minutes ago, CreativeControl said:

'Paid for' social media views/likes methinks

If WWE are paying for them, then it's strange they are also seemingly influenced by them.

On 6/8/2019 at 1:16 PM, For Great Justice said:

Well not all the matches. Lest we forget the Undertaker match.

Taker's inability to do business here was really weird as him and JBL were tight backstage so you'd think he'd want to put him over strong ala Eddie. Whether it was a case of protecting the dead man gimmick because they were re-establishing it at this time I'm not sure.