DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling What Ifs

Web Conn

Which of the big WCW contracts back on 2001 has the biggest "What if?"

Hogan? Goldberg? Sting?

Plenty of talk/fantasy booking about having them available but let's say Vince feels like he can afford 1 of them to lead the invasion angle? Hogan/Goldberg v Austin make a heap of sense. Sting as the face of WCW vs "Locker Room Leader" Undertaker as well.

I feel like if Hogan gets bought out then it all goes a little pear shaped. I can see him being like RVD and getting massive pops despite being a 'heel'. Same with Goldberg and Sting actually... Come to think of it, did Vince leave the A plus guys on the shelf because he was worried they might get bigger reactions than his roster?

3 hours ago, L_W_P said:

Which of the big WCW contracts back on 2001 has the biggest "What if?"

Hogan? Goldberg? Sting?

Plenty of talk/fantasy booking about having them available but let's say Vince feels like he can afford 1 of them to lead the invasion angle? Hogan/Goldberg v Austin make a heap of sense. Sting as the face of WCW vs "Locker Room Leader" Undertaker as well.

I feel like if Hogan gets bought out then it all goes a little pear shaped. I can see him being like RVD and getting massive pops despite being a 'heel'. Same with Goldberg and Sting actually... Come to think of it, did Vince leave the A plus guys on the shelf because he was worried they might get bigger reactions than his roster?

Honestly, I think the only What If? would be Hogan, since we saw the result there...comes back with NWO, fans refuse to boo him, he's a hero in a month.

Everyone else- Sting/Goldberg were big names, but Diamond Dallas Page was every bit the "BIG WCW STAR" that Sting and Goldberg were, and was easily the big main event WCW guy to lead the Invasion angle.

...we saw how that turned out.  I don't see Goldberg coming out any better than DDP did (and Sting would be, at best, in the RVD level.)

Well, the problem with DDP in WWE was the whole thing of him writing people match scripts and giving them to his opponents, even if he wasn't the veteran in the match. Which had the whole WWE locker room saying 'This guy doesn't know how to work' and lead to Taker deciding to just squash him flat. Whereas Sting would probably be more respected because he was old school enough, and Goldberg was at least legit NFL... although he also ended Bret's career, which probably wouldn't endear him to anyone in WWE (except Shawn and Vince).

Goldberg had the benefit of people in the company actually wanting him to succeed. The DDP stuff is the only example I can think of as far as Taker playing politics (maybe the Kronik stuff too, I'm always skeptical of "backstage attitude" unless multiple examples come up), but the angle was ruined from the start. There was no logical reason why DDP would be stalking Taker's wife. The reveal made zero sense. And that was the biggest WCW star they had. Even if Taker had put him over clean, that angle was shit. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

But all those DDP motivational speaker promo videos make me happy inside.

giphy.gif

There are so many good ones.

giphy.gif

I dig a happy rassler.

- RAF

The transition from the motivational speaker gimmick to DDP Yoga seems like a pretty natural one.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/18/2019 at 1:13 PM, MORELOCK said:

Goldberg had the benefit of people in the company actually wanting him to succeed. The DDP stuff is the only example I can think of as far as Taker playing politics (maybe the Kronik stuff too, I'm always skeptical of "backstage attitude" unless multiple examples come up), but the angle was ruined from the start. There was no logical reason why DDP would be stalking Taker's wife. The reveal made zero sense. And that was the biggest WCW star they had. Even if Taker had put him over clean, that angle was shit. 

Kronik was doubly bizarre as Taker was always tight with Crush wasn't he?

As far as the big name what if from 2001, at the time I would have said Goldberg without a shadow of a doubt

I doubt Goldberg would have signed unless they guaranteed in writing that he would be a main event level guy. Ditto for Sting. The only guy I could see taking the money if Vince offered more than what Time Warner was paying would be Flair. 

What if Hogan never signed with WCW in 94 and stayed with the WWF? Would we have seen an Attitude Era? How would the Kliq respond with him still being in the spotlight? 

I kind if liken Hogan in 93/94 to Brock right now. I feel like WWE is holding on to Brock at the expense of SOOOOO many other talents they could be developing and pushing as main event stars. Maybe they're afraid AEW could throw some big money his way? Letting Hogan go and the New Generation Era led to a pretty hard time for them financially (I love this era), but it allowed younger talent to develop and eventually led to the Attitude Era. 

On a similar note: what if Bischoff never fired Austin. Just kept him in that midcard scene. Does WWF ever bounce back? Without that fury driving him, does Austin ever become a major star? How good is Austin in that WCW midcard in 97?!?

14 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

I doubt Goldberg would have signed unless they guaranteed in writing that he would be a main event level guy. Ditto for Sting. The only guy I could see taking the money if Vince offered more than what Time Warner was paying would be Flair. 

Even with that, Goldberg in the Invasion would inevitably be a problem, because of how close Goldberg's look and style were.

If WWE would make it a point "okay, Booker T has to fight, and lose to, The Rock", I think WWF would have made it a point in that same contract "We'll guarantee in writing you'll be a main event level guy, but only if you guarantee in writing, you WILL lose to Steve Austin."

On 5/20/2019 at 2:06 PM, Brian Fowler said:

On a similar note: what if Bischoff never fired Austin. Just kept him in that midcard scene. Does WWF ever bounce back? Without that fury driving him, does Austin ever become a major star? How good is Austin in that WCW midcard in 97?!?

I could see him joining the Horsemen with Pillman in 95 and going back to the tag division. I don't think Hogan or Savage would've seen money in a program with Austin so the US title run would probably be the highest point he'd reach.

• Like 1

I think Vince still finds a way.

Assuming Bret still screws Bret then we get a continuation of the rise of The Rock and Triple H. We probably get a DX implosion and main event title feud and Foley remains as the upper midcarder who can be used to transition the title around the 'big 3'. Owen Hart becomes the anti authority "fuck you Vince" character sitting in the upper mid card and fighting against the Corporation.

Austin jumps as part of The Radicalz group of pissed off midcarders. He ends up in a similar spot to Eddie I think. Earns his stripes under Vince, finds his niche and probably gets a few title runs on SD during the early days of the brand split.

Alternate theory: Austin ends up being the old friend from their first WCW run that Nash and Hall go to bat for, and he ends up in the slot as the face of WCW that DDP got, transitions into a "man of the people" role and becomes a sort of proto-SCSA anyway.

And with that, we get a face brawler Austin vs heel nWo Randy Savage that would have been absolutely fucking gold.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

Could also make the argument that WCW lost far more than the WWF won at the time.

Whether its a valid one or not, I'm not entirely sure - the product does not age well at all.

The big problem with WWF or WCW is that in the Monday Night Wars, ultimately it comes to the conclusion that WWF was the only promotion that had a chance to live or die during that time period.

WWF was in a bad way in the Monday Night Wars, it may have come close to dying...but they had the chance to live and the chance to die. 

By contrast, in retrospect it seems pretty clear WCW and ECW's deaths were inevitable. No matter how good the ECW product was, Paul Heyman was probably going to run out of money, and by expansion he'd run out of money faster. 

Likewise, whether or not WCW had a good promotion or good ratings, AOL was always going to buy Time Warner, Ted Turner was always going to lose any vestige of power in the merger, and AOL Time Warner would always say "get this 'rasslin shit off our books by any means necessary."

End result, the biggest what if could be "what if WCW beat WWF in 1997?" ECW probably goes bankrupt in 1999-2000, possibly sooner without WWE's money...and WCW still dies in 2001.

Can't say I agree. I can't see AOL getting rid of WCW if it's still pulling 1998 numbers (peaking at a 6-5 in the ratings, and made a $30 million profit. Yes, the AOL merger tightened the screws, and lost key supporters of the product as a result, but let's not underplay the fact it lost $63 million that year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

Can't say I agree. I can't see AOL getting rid of WCW if it's still pulling 1998 numbers (peaking at a 6-5 in the ratings, and made a $30 million profit. Yes, the AOL merger tightened the screws, and lost key supporters of the product as a result, but let's not underplay the fact it lost $63 million that year.

Even if it was at 1998 numbers, Time Warner had wanted to pull the plug on WCW, and only Ted Turner still being important on the board of directors until the AOL merger made him a middle manager there had kept it. (It also helps that apparently, when AOL took over, the first order of business is "get WCW off the books, I don't care how"...and good ratings probably wouldn't have changed it.) 

The TNT/TBS changeover had the best example: It didn't matter if WCW was pulling 1998 numbers and profiting...the person in charge just plain didn't want 'rasslin on the networks and wasn't going to have it.  The only difference for 1998 numbers is maybe WCW gets a better owner with those numbers...MAYBE, since WWF was the only company who realized "even if we shut down WCW, the video library has money".

On 5/20/2019 at 7:42 AM, olythegreat89 said:

Would we have seen an Attitude Era? How would the Kliq respond with him still being in the spotlight?

If Hogan was still around, the Kliq never gets power.

1 hour ago, SorceressKnight said:

Likewise, whether or not WCW had a good promotion or good ratings, AOL was always going to buy Time Warner, Ted Turner was always going to lose any vestige of power in the merger, and AOL Time Warner would always say "get this 'rasslin shit off our books by any means necessary."

If WCW was keeping the ratings and profits they had in 97, they are not going to get rid of WCW.  AOL was ran by idiots, but they were not so stupid they would sabotage a successful show. WCW was only killed because of people like Russo tweaking corporate's nose constantly. 

But this scenario requires Bischoff not getting power drunk in late 97 and coasting, then getting desperate in late 98 and constantly rebooting thru 99. 

ECW's fate was tied into not trying to go national. To be content being a regional promotion and letting talent go instead of matching pay with the WWF and WCW. 

3 hours ago, L_W_P said:

Assuming Bret still screws Bret then we get a continuation of the rise of The Rock and Triple H. We probably get a DX implosion and main event title feud and Foley remains as the upper midcarder who can be used to transition the title around the 'big 3'. Owen Hart becomes the anti authority "fuck you Vince" character sitting in the upper mid card and fighting against the Corporation.

Montreal likely never happens since Bret never turns heel. There would be nobody you could do the WM 13 match with, since there were no anti heroes getting cheered. Even before Bret turned heel, he was still getting cheered slightly more than Austin. But if Austin is not in the WWF, maybe Bret does not sign a new contract since he really wanted to work with Austin. 

Steve Austin not going to the WWF changes everything. I don't think the WWF goes anywhere, they had started making money on live events by 97 and Vince proved he could go into survival mode in 93/95. Maybe things would be better today, since without the stock scam and big cash reserves, they would have to make stars.

If the WWF died, WCW would not have died.   ECW would likely have survived as well just to be an alternative, Northerners would feel about WCW the same way Southerners felt about WWF, that would have kept ECW alive.

If ECW still went under, ROH would have happened and gotten more backing and perhaps a few big ex-WWF midcarders like Owen or Shamrock. 

WCW surviving might have had some butterflies on NJPW- might have sent some guys on WCW excursions like Okada/Naito/Yoshi-Hashi

1 hour ago, SorceressKnight said:

Even if it was at 1998 numbers, Time Warner had wanted to pull the plug on WCW, and only Ted Turner still being important on the board of directors until the AOL merger made him a middle manager there had kept it.

That is just plainly not true. Time Warner was firmly in control when they insisted on giving WCW a prime time show on TBS and were all jockeying to take credit for the success. When the merger happened, WCW was bleeding money, so it is no surprise they wanted WCW off the books. If WCW was generating the money it was at its peak there is absolutely no way Kellner gets the okay to cancel the WCW shows. He probably would not have been allowed to broach the idea.

• Like 2