DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling What Ifs

Web Conn

6 hours ago, AxB said:

What if Diesel and Razor remained in the WWF, and instead the original Outsiders were Bret and Taker?

Darkest Timeline.

The Undertaker may be the best gimmick-oriented guy ever, and it's hard to imagine him outside the gimmick being anything regarding a success. Throw in that the Bone Street Krew were nowhere near the names that the Kliq were in 1995 WWF, and even with Bret added, it's hard to imagine the NWO having the same effect with them. 

Meanwhile, the Kliq's antics keep destroying WWF...only without WCW getting on fire to counteract it.

What if Undertaker goes to WCW with Bret not in 96 but in late 97, walking out on WWF in solidarity with Bret/resigning in protest over the Montreal Screwjob (as he reportedly considered doing?)

More in the sense of what it does to the WWF locker room/when is WWF most hurt by losing Undertaker than anything else since I think the lack of impact on WCW creatively/financially by both Bret and UT-without-the-UT-gimmick is the same no matter when they show up.

7 hours ago, AxB said:

So in that reality, in 2019 Vince & Bischoff co-host a podcast in which they complain about the booking of ECW on Paramount?

I dunno,  even the NFL is limping a little due to the CTE/concussion crisis.  I think it sinks ECW, either directly or indirectly.

• Like 1

That would have been hilarious - you just debut his long lost brother with a huge amount of hype and build up.....and then he's left with nothing else to do.

I figure he shows up to help Bret in the pointless midcard NWO feuds he was having at the time, beats up Hennig and Bryan Adams for a bit......hey - that reminds me, we never got a Mr. Perfect vs. Undertaker match, and that .....would have been awful.

They probably burn through PPV matches against Sting, Savage and Hogan in about 5 months with at least 2 turns in between, before yeah, giving him his own Bone Street Krew stable featuring the former Yokozuna, The Godfather, Savio Vega, some Samoans and whoever else had ongoing WWF employment by being tight with Taker, who feud with the Wolfpac or something.

I'd be down for a Konnan vs Mean Mark Callaway rap battle in 1999.

• Like 1

What would have been super fucking surreal?

Vince goes bust (Steroid trial, post Montreal, Mania 1 isn't a success), whenever. It's immaterial. But WCW continues its timeline as it were, and Bischoff gets canned in late 99, and replaced by Vince in a similar role to what Bill Watts had in 1992.

That would have been fun watching him try to make WCW less Southern and constantly dealing with Turner S&P.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I would have been interested to see what Vince would have been capable of, had he taken an extended sabbatical away from the industry, rather than doing it week in, week out for 40 years.

I would also have been interested to see how failed wrestling promoter Vince McMahon making vlogs in his basement in Stamford would have gone.  Or even failed wrestling promoter Vince who continues to get opportunities from guys who were loyal to him in minor roles only to fail at them due to the ideas being awful, his coke habit or unable to adapt to no longer being in charge.

The big problem with Vince McMahon in this scenario is that when it boils down to it, Vince McMahon is a mediocre booker who happens to be one of the greatest businessmen of the 20th and 21st century. 

All of the reasons WWE has managed to grow to what it has become today, when you think about it, have less to do with amazing storylines and more to do with how great the company is at marketing pro wrestling, at merchandising pro wrestling, at knowing what the next wave is going to be before anyone else knows, and everything to make a successful business. With all of those things, what the people do in the 'rasslin ring doesn't compare.

This ties to Vince in these situations because: Vince under WCW control in 1999 would have also been mediocre (because Vince would be in a situation where his business acumen meant nothing and all you had was his creative skill).  And for other options...well, Vince McMahon would probably come back with something bigger.

• Like 1

Vince McMahon who's been booking non-stop for 40 years is very mediocre.

Vince that steps away from the business for 4-5 years, becomes a recluse,  and then comes back refreshed might have been a whole different deal.

Also would have been interesting to see him try to bring his guys in to the back of house - Kevin Dunn, Pat Patterson, Bruce Pritchard etc, and the ensuing pushback from the various cliques backstage in WCW at the time.

Would Hogan have pushed for him to return or see it as an opportunity to put some other placeholder dingus in charge till Bischoff returns. Flair surely advocates for him, Nash/Hall too. Savage not so much?

On 2/19/2019 at 2:53 PM, BobbyWhioux said:

Pillman was smart enough to avoid being killed off by Hogan in the doomsday cage thingy.

I think he would have been smart enough to recognize a world title run against 96 HBK was a similar kiss of death.

The “how to cut a promo” thread would be filled with Pillman on HBK content, though

EDITING TO ADD:  also, while I can't be certain Pillman was prescient enough to know Austin (rather than HBK) was where the money would be and position himself accordingly, he was already involved in Austin's orbit as he was and would've been cagey enough to make sure he didn't leave it once Austin started to become Austin [and Austin did not seem to be averse to doing business with him].  Pillman would've made a dischordant "Corporate Champ" to be sure but they did hype him up when he came in as having a contract that was special so the avenue was there.

Corporate Champion Brian Pillman would have been so damn amazing. Just imagine the smart marks promo, but him dialing it up even more about how he's made it to the top and now he doesn't have to wreck his body for these ungrateful pieces of crap.

• Like 6

On 2/22/2019 at 6:36 AM, Brian Fowler said:

I know Taker has said if UFC had been a thing when he was young, he probably would've tried it, and there's certainly ample evidence that he's tough, but man, getting under 265 seems like it would be real difficult for him, and, to the best of my limited knowledge, there's not much history of 6'9"(ish) dudes being effective in MMA. ( @Elsalvajeloco?)

That's before taking into account he'd have already been in his mid-30's, and with a litany of injuries (his Biker Taker return was, iirc, coming off a torn groin.)

Point is, I don't think even lower level MMA stuff would've been a good idea for him at that time frame, unless he got matched up with guys who legit had no business fighting. 

Taker would have been in before weight classes came into being.  If by some freak accident he ended up a major star- there would have been a super heavyweight class.

9 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

Vince McMahon who's been booking non-stop for 40 years is very mediocre.

Vince that steps away from the business for 4-5 years, becomes a recluse,  and then comes back refreshed might have been a whole different deal.

Again, that still becomes the main point though. Since WWF went national, how many truly iconic storylines has WWF/E made?

Like, WWE has had many iconic stars, many iconic matches with those stars...but the only storyline you could argue was iconic in and of itself was Austin vs. McMahon (and even that happened after Eric Bischoff joined the NWO and made "evil boss out to destroy his employees" a very good idea in pro wrestling.)  (Getting ahead of it before the obvious joke: Yes, the IIconics exist, but they have not become iconic as a storyline or as stars yet.) 

2 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

Again, that still becomes the main point though. Since WWF went national, how many truly iconic storylines has WWF/E made?

Like, WWE has had many iconic stars, many iconic matches with those stars...but the only storyline you could argue was iconic in and of itself was Austin vs. McMahon (and even that happened after Eric Bischoff joined the NWO and made "evil boss out to destroy his employees" a very good idea in pro wrestling.)  (Getting ahead of it before the obvious joke: Yes, the IIconics exist, but they have not become iconic as a storyline or as stars yet.) 

You can just as easily credit a number of guys for the good ones as you can the bad, there's no real way of knowing who added what to it - George Scott, Patterson, Pritchard etc.

But again - he's been doing this for 40 years straight. No-one else comes close. Bischoff was burnt out by barely 3 years. Find a great filmmaker - Scorcese, Tarantino, Spielberg, whoever and get them to write a minimum 6 hours of content every week for 40 years and see how you go, let alone run a global company on top of that. 

• Like 1

I mean, it depends on how you define "iconic," I guess. The Austin-Rock Mania series. Bryan's road to Mania XXX. Rock-Hogan. Punk dropping the pipebomb and walking out. The 1997 Hart Foundation run. Brock ending the streak and destroying Cena. The original DX run. Kid beating Razor. Kane's debut. The first year and a half of the Shield.  Shawn at the Barber Shop.

• Like 1

What if, around 98 or 99 when the highlight of the Wrestling week was The Rock's promo, a couple of rookies decided to piggyback off that success by taking the ring names Rudy Pugh and Ken Diaz?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AxB said:

What if, around 98 or 99 when the highlight of the Wrestling week was The Rock's promo, a couple of rookies decided to piggyback off that success by taking the ring names Rudy Pugh and Ken Diaz?

They’d be feuding for years and across the indie wrestling world with the team of Mark Smart and “The Shooter” Fabian Kaye?

• 2 weeks later...