DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling What Ifs

Web Conn

1 hour ago, (BP) said:

It's possible that Warrior gets the title back if he does have the Rumble match with Bret. They run Warrior/Yokozuna and then maybe a rematch between Bret and Bulldog at Wrestlemania. 

Bret said he was told he was suppose to face Warrior at I think the Rumble and win cleanly by submission. But even he seemed skeptical about it. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I always wondered if the fan reaction would be different at Bash 1991 if Flair put Barry Windham over at the TV taping before the PPV before he leaves WCW.  Obviously it would be crapped on by hardcore fans, but is the "We Want Flair" still a thing even with the fans witnessing Flair lose the belt before leaving the company? I also wonder if they still go the same route of having Luger go heel or would he get the big babyface win over Barry?

On 9/9/2017 at 2:17 PM, ivpvideos said:

I can't see Warrior ever losing cleanly by submission. I just realized how weird a Warrior vs Lex Luger match would have been so now I wish there was an alternative universe where that happened

The only way Bret would have gone over Warrior is with an injury angle. I can't see Warrior ever agreeing to a submission finish. Thst would go completely against his character.

I can't imagine Warrior giving Bret enough offense, and then selling Bret's moves to make a submission finish seem credible.  I feel like you'd practically have to book Warrior to slip on a banana peel and fall into the Sharpshooter, then still do some sort of screwy finish..

2 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

I assume you have Warrior in the Beefcake role, and Hogan/Warrior face Money Inc?

Now that you mention it, maybe randy Savage is kept on the active roster and they go with him and Warrior against Money Inc with them taking the tag straps. 

2 hours ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

I can't imagine Warrior giving Bret enough offense, and then selling Bret's moves to make a submission finish seem credible.  I feel like you'd practically have to book Warrior to slip on a banana peel and fall into the Sharpshooter, then still do some sort of screwy finish..

Luger debuts at the Rumble, and knocks out Warrior with the forearm, Bret beats Warrior with the sharpshooter whilst unconscious.

Luger/Warrior.....which then requires Flair sticking around and you do the RAW Loser Leaves Town at Mania.

22 hours ago, evidence said:

I always wondered if the fan reaction would be different at Bash 1991 if Flair put Barry Windham over at the TV taping before the PPV before he leaves WCW.  Obviously it would be crapped on by hardcore fans, but is the "We Want Flair" still a thing even with the fans witnessing Flair lose the belt before leaving the company? I also wonder if they still go the same route of having Luger go heel or would he get the big babyface win over Barry?

Windham was nowhere near sniffing distance of the upper card at the time.  To illustrate, remember that he was originally booked in a midcard mixed tag freakshow match for the card.  I doubt they could have heated him up fast enough for all that to work out.  The show had been promoted as Flair/Luger for so long that nobody would have bought a midcarder being hotshotted to the top like that.  

I was there and man, was it a shitshow.  I have no idea why they didn't rebook the whole show as a tournament or at least put someone credible like Sting in the main vs. Luger.  Not that it wouldn't have mattered.  From what I can remember, there was no time to promote anything different.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

I always wondered if a phantom change wasn't out of the question. The sheets and RSPW would've been the only ones who would've caught on that there wasn't an actual title change. Either that or claim that Luger won the title via forfeit and would be defending for the first time at that PPV instead.

Sure, but would there have been that much concern about a phantom title change? Or going on TV and acknowledging that Flair is leaving (which WCW did do), say that Luger was signed to wrestle for the title but since the match was no longer happening, he was being awarded the title? That would've made his heel turn more natural, since you can play up that he didn't actually beat anyone for the belt. It would've also made an easier path for Windham to step in and challenge for the title by having him take offense to being handed the title, and he challenges Luger. Maybe shoot a quick angle where he pins Luger in a non-title match to justify giving him the shot.

Right. That's what I was saying. Either that or what I laid out gave them two options, and they chose option C (shoot self in foot).

They should've awarded the title to Luger to start the PPV, followed by a battle royal to determine his opponent for the main event. Have Sting win, defeat Koloff in a long match (maybe have Sting injured by a post match attack with the Russian chain) and have him face a fresh Luger to end the show. Luger wins with the help of his new associates Race and Hughes. Cue Sting's chase to Superbrawl.

They should started the show saying Flair was most likely not going to appear but he would get til the end of the night to defend against Luger. End of the night Luger comes out and runs down Flair as a coward and the Horsemen by extension which brings out Windham and they have a title match. That hopefully shifts the heat from the company to Luger. 

Just read this in the 8/21/00 Observer

Negotiations have continued and are said to be very serious for ECW to appear in a late night time slot on the USA Network with a two-hour show that would combine elements of the popular MTV show "Real World" with pro wrestling. Negotiations aren't completed but are said to be serious, and ECW is also expected, if getting the slot, to produce more than six PPV shows in 2001.

The idea of putting together a cross between the two shows is not unique, as the Southern California based Ultimate Pro Wrestling has had an idea in the planning stages for a similar show in syndication with its recent Discovery Channel special acting as something of a pilot.

At one point the idea for the show was for it to air during the Saturday 6-8 p.m. time slot, which was during the late 70s through the early 90s, more often that not, the highest rated time slot for pro wrestling with the traditional TBS show, which was just recently canceled. The show delivered up-and-down ratings throughout its run, at one point wrestling in that slot was the highest rated show on basic cable. While the ratings declined throughout the 90s, even as late as the early part of 1998, the show at one point drew a 2.8 rating, although it was hovering between a 1.3 and a 1.5 consistently due to the decline of the WCW product before the plug was finally pulled this summer. However, there were officials at USA network that were squeamish about the content of an ECW show airing that early, so it was felt a late night time slot would work best for all concerned.

Bunim-Murray Productions, headed by Jonathan Murray and Mary Ellis Bunim, who are the producers of "Real World," are expected to handle production of the show, which is said to be giving a reality base to the back stories while continuing the same style of wrestling ECW is already known for.

This is pretty interesting. There's a few questions here. How would of ECW fared in a late night spot on a national cable outlet? What does "Real World" elements exactly mean? Cinema Verite style backstage segments? Confessional style promos? The Sandman working at a juice bar? How long would it of lasted? And would it have been successful?  What about ECW's financial woes? Would USA have had stake in the company?

I assume the Real World aspect would sort of resemble Ride Along, and sort of like Total Divas as well, where they show the guys at home or doing non-wrestling activities. Which, it being ECW, would've been pretty sketchy. Which makes me wonder if they ever tried to get something on HBO. 

In his 1990 timeline shoot, Cornette talks about how Flair came to him and tasked him with getting Brian Pillman ready and over enough to challenge Flair for the belt. Flair wanted to work with Pillman and get him up to the same level as Sting, Luger, etc and wanted to do a Clash I type deal with him. Flair basically told Corny to come up with an idea to legitimize Pillman. Corny said they were going to have the MX give Pillman the MX’ Vegamatic move while he held his racket over Pillman’s throat and that was going to take him out for a while. They’d shoot all kinds of vignettes of the MX gloating about it and Pillman being unable to speak (Corny said they actually shot some of these) and then Pillman would come back for revenge. Pillman/Zenk vs. MX where if Pillman won, he’d get 5 minutes to beat up Cornette. The MX would take Zenk out prior to the match but Pillman being the pissed off face that he was, would still take the match, pull out the win against both Midnights and beat up Cornette. After that, Corny figured that Pillman would be perceived as enough of a threat to a guy on Flair’s level. Flair would then work a main event program with Pillman. Jim Herd apparently nixed the whole thing.

I know that was a long backstory but I wondered how that would have affected things if that actually would’ve happened. Say Pillman does get over enough as a main event singles guy and he works on top with Flair, Vader, Rude and other top heels who passed through WCW in the early 90s. Do we get the Hollywood Blonds? Does Loose Cannon Pillman ever come to fruition? How does that affect the formation of the Attitude Era as I feel like Pillman was a big part of that?

• Like 1

I guess they kiiiiiinda did this with the Horsemen taking him out prior to War Games 91, then him still entering the match only to be KO'd by Sid, which somehow then led into the taped fist match with Windham, but that was as far as it went right? It didn't exactly legitimise him to the extent Flair wanted from the above but certainly raised him up a notch.

As for the second part of your question, judging by his lacklustre face run in 93 post-Blonds I don't think it would have got him over as much as hoped. It's crazy to think of him perceived as 'too small' as he would be huge compared to WWE wrestlers these days, but that's the way it was back then