DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling What Ifs

Web Conn

19 hours ago, Sasha said:

Who exactly was the target market for Shawn Michaels as a babyface in 1995-1996 anyway? I wouldn't have had any issues with him being champion as a heel, but he was a pitiful babyface.

single mothers and bored housewives who stayed in an unfulfilling marriage 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

With that Michaels title reign - would have been curious to see where they were going with Warrior until he left.

Do we assume that Sid was plugged into the booking that was already in place for Warrior? (Survivor Series main event of Warrior/Shawn, with Shawn getting the return win at the Rumble?) If so, does Sid still come back? Do we get Warrior/Taker at Mania 6 years after it meant anything?
Or is Warrior around to put over Vader to build up to Summerslam? If so - kinda curious to see how their matches would have gone if they were effectively the Sting/Vader formula?

3 hours ago, Victator said:

The plan was Vader winning the title. But baby Shawn had a fit and Sid was put in his place. I wonder if they made long term plans for Warrior knowing how unreliable he was. 

Maybe Warrior vs. Vader? I could see that feud working with a lot of insanity. In a strange way, maybe they could have had the WWF's version of Vader/Sting and I'm just saying that cause right now I want to see Vader/Warrior in a strap match. Imagine that Warrior promo.

Vader had jobbed to Warrior at various house shows in May of 96. When Warrior walked out, the plan was still for Vader to be champion. I doubt Vince would have rightfully ever trusted Warrior to be champion again. So I doubt they would have run that. 

More likely probably guys like Owen and Bulldog. Talented guys who can lose and not suffer much damage. 

On 8/26/2017 at 10:01 AM, alstein said:

ESPN had a deal with World Class as well.  I remember watching reruns of old WCCW shows coming back from the school in the late 80s.

Bill Watts getting the Superstation slot would be an interesting timeline.

One crazy idea, would Lawler have accepted the Ronnie Garvin spot in 86 to become a World Champion?

Lawler would have accepted in a heartbeat but at that point JCP wasn't going to let an outsider let alone Lawler have the belt.

1 hour ago, Venom said:

Forget '94 what if Savage had went to WCW in '92 before Flair returned and Hogan showed up?

Savage vs. Rude

Savage vs. Steamboat

Savage vs. Dustin

Savage vs. Austin

Savage vs. Sting

Savage vs. Vader

Savage vs. Cactus

I might cry myself to sleep it didn't happen in '92. Ok, not really.

Savage vs. Windham after the heel turn

Savage vs. Eaton

Savage vs. Arn Paul E. Dangerously could send Eaton and Anderson after Savage after he refuses to join the Dangerous Alliance

Savage vs. Scott Steiner during the period he was in his singles run before he left

Savage vs. Pillman after the heel turn

Savage vs. Gordy on a Saturday Night or Main Event

• Like 2

Why wasn't Hall ever given a run on top in the WWE?

Shawn had multiple reigns and Nash had a full year but Hall never even had a cup of coffee with the title.

He's not going to win it at the '93 Rumble because you want to keep Bret strong for Mania but there had to have been a time he was at least considered for a run. Was he off the wagon that badly back then?

What if Razor won the 95 KotR and took the title from Nash at SummerSlam?

I remember there was a tease of it happening in a WWF magazine end of '95. Feel like they were planting the seeds for it with the Goldust program (conflict with Piper, constantly reiterating how uncomfortable he was with the gay overtones etc).

Getting the tiebreaker ladder match is something we never really seem to complain about, but heel Razor/face Shawn would have been a sweet program around the time they had the Davey Boy feud.

In interviews, Scott has said that part of the reason he want to WCW is because he had stalled at top of the midcard in WWF, and talking with Vince made it seem pretty clear he probably wasn't going to get any higher/make any more money.

On September 3, 2017 at 5:04 PM, L_W_P said:

Why wasn't Hall ever given a run on top in the WWE?

Shawn had multiple reigns and Nash had a full year but Hall never even had a cup of coffee with the title.

He's not going to win it at the '93 Rumble because you want to keep Bret strong for Mania but there had to have been a time he was at least considered for a run. Was he off the wagon that badly back then?

What if Razor won the 95 KotR and took the title from Nash at SummerSlam?

This one makes me sad.

Here's how I would've booked it:

Razor wins King of the Ring 1995, Diesel comes out to congratulate him and they celebrate together. This closes the show so our final image is of Diesel and Razor celebrating Razor's KOTR win. Their friendship becomes a focal point on RAW and Razor joins Diesel's feud with the Million Dollar Corporation. Razor defeats Bam Bam Bigelow at IYH 2 and comes out at the end to celebrate with Diesel after his victory over Sid, to mimic the ending of KOTR 1995. It is announced the next night on RAW that Razor and Diesel will face off for the WWF Championship at SummerSlam. They continue to be friends but Ted DiBiase begins to sow the seeds of doubt in Razor's mind by reminding that he couldn't get the job done in the past and that he is destined to fail again. Razor ignores it at first but DiBiase's taunts start to get to him. DiBiase tells Razor that he can't win the championship unless he lets his concern for his friend go and unleashes "DA BAD GUY!" On the last RAW before SummerSlam, the Million Dollar Corporation attacks Diesel, Ramon comes down to make the save but stops before getting in the ring and just somberly walks away from the ring, leaving Diesel to be pummeled and us with a cliffhanger going into SummerSlam. 

SummerSlam begins with speculation from Vince and Lawler as to whether or not DiBiase has gotten inside the mind of Razor Ramon. We get a shot of the parking garage and Todd Pettengill letting us know that Razor Ramon still has not arrived to the arena. Diesel tells us that he has not heard from Ramon since Monday afternoon and has no idea what is going on with him. DiBiase says that he may have gotten into Ramon's head but says that Jack Tunney has given permission for Sid to replace Ramon in the main event if he fails to show up in time for the match.

Match time! 

Diesel comes to the ring with Vince and Lawler reminding viewers that Razor Ramon still has not arrived to the arena. Sid comes to the ring and just as the bell is about to ring, we cut to the backstage area where a car speeds into the garage and Razor run out of it with his tights already on and ready to go. Tatanka and Bam Bam try to attack Ramon in the parking lot but Ramon fights them off and runs towards the arena. Ramon comes to the ring, Sid refuses to leave and DiBiase tries to argue with the ref that Ramon failed to make it in time. Ramon and Diesel work together to dispose of Sid and DiBiase follows him out of the ring. Diesel and Ramon do a high five to show that they're on the same page.....or so we think.

Diesel and Ramon have their match but DiBiase and Sid return at the end of it. With Ramon and the referee distracted by DiBiase, Sid hits the ring and drops Diesel. When Sid leaves the ring, Ramon turns around and looks around in confusion. He then turns to DiBiase, smirks and goes for a cover on Diesel but only gets a two count. DiBiase hops on the apron while Sid slides a chair to Ramon. Ramon picks up the chair and uses it on Diesel, eventually covering him for a three count. Ramon shakes hands with DiBiase after the match and the show ends with DiBiase laughing as Ramon holds up the WWF Championship. 

The next night on RAW, Ramon reveals that the whole thing was a clever ruse and that he had been working WITH The Million Dollar Man since the night of In Your House 2 when he got an offer that he just could not refuse. Ramon leaves us with, "Diesel, you made one mistake, you trusted Da Bad Guy!" and reminds DiBiase that Razor Ramon didn't come to him, he came to Razor Ramon. Ramon says that money talks and now he gets to enjoy Ted DiBiase's money AND the money that comes from being WWF Champion. Ted DiBiase ends the promo by saying, "no price is too small for the Million Dollar Man and now I get to enjoy the one thing I never got and people told me I could never buy, the WWF Championship!" 

We learn later on that DiBiase paid off Jack Tunney to put Razor Ramon in the SummerSlam main event. The Ramon/DiBiase alliance is extremely uneasy with Ramon viewing it simply as a way to become WWF Champion and with no actual loyalty to DiBiase. Despite Ramon's uneasiness about working with the Million Dollar Corporation, DiBiase still feels an obligation to help Ramon keep the championship since this represents his first and only time with the WWF Championship. 

At IYH 3, Ramon tags with Sid to take on Diesel and Shawn Michaels and then Ramon beats Diesel with the help of the MDC at IYH 4. Ramon drops the belt to Bret at Survivor Series after the Million Dollar Corporation says "screw it!" to both Razor and DiBiase and refuses to help. 

After Survivor Series, DiBiase moves on and Ramon can either go back face or stay heel...

-----

I tried to come up with a scenario that mixed some things that 1995 could've given us, heel Razor,  DiBiase managing a champion, something interesting for Diesel......

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The Nature Boy said:

Razor wins King of the Ring 1995

I remember at the time being so certain Razor, my favorite wrestler, was going to win it. Then he got injured and I was sure it was going to be Shawn. Then he was out and I thought it had to be The Undertaker. Then Mabel won against some lame Razor surrogate and I was so angry I couldn't sleep. And on a school night!

I was thinking it was nuts that Razor never even challenged for the title again after that Bret match in 93, but looking over the list of champions during his first run there, they were all faces aside from Yoko. Those two had a non-title dark match according to the Internet Wrestling Database, but that's it. I guess the timing was just wrong for him. Even if Vince didn't think he deserved the belt, there would've at least been value in having him challenge for it, but they didn't do much face vs face back then. He needed to be a heel like in your scenario to fit in the world title picture, but I don't think Vince wanted to give up his top face in the midcard. He really deserved a higher spot just based on how over he was. Whether he would've been able to take the ball and run with it as champ considering his personal problems, I don't know.

7 minutes ago, The Great ML said:

Razor would have been way more over than baby face Diesel.

I turned Razor heel because of the need to drop the belt to Bret and because I felt that he'd have more chemistry with DiBiase and could make the uneasy alliance more believable. I also thought it was more believable that DA BAD GUY would sell out to the Million Dollar Man in order to become WWF Champion. 

23 hours ago, Throat said:

I remember at the time being so certain Razor, my favorite wrestler, was going to win it. Then he got injured and I was sure it was going to be Shawn. Then he was out and I thought it had to be The Undertaker. Then Mabel won against some lame Razor surrogate and I was so angry I couldn't sleep. And on a school night!

Don't you dare disparage the great Savio Vega

• Like 1