DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling What Ifs

Web Conn

Like British Bulldog in 94/95. 

Gatekeeper babyface who ends up in a tag team of sorts and good buddy of the main babyface. Having said that - Bulldog returning at Mania 9 instead of Hogan, and costing Bret the World Title, leading to the SS 92 rematch at Summerslam or KOTR would have been pretty cool and far better than end result.

What if Vince McMahon had actually wrestled in his youth? Which is two what-if's... What if Vince had debuted in WWWF getting an Erik Watts push in the late 60s, or What if Vince had showed up in an outlaw territory using a fake name, in the late 60s.

8 hours ago, AxB said:

What if Vince McMahon had actually wrestled in his youth? Which is two what-if's... What if Vince had debuted in WWWF getting an Erik Watts push in the late 60s, or What if Vince had showed up in an outlaw territory using a fake name, in the late 60s.

What's Mac Vinceman doing in the BlanchardZone here in San Antonio?

• Like 6

On Tuesday, August 01, 2017 at 2:06 AM, TerjeRUN said:

What would British Bulldog in 1993 WWF had looked like?

Similarly, what would Dynamite Kid back in early 90s WWF had been like?  Bret offered to put in a word for him, trying to bring him back to WWF after he was moved up the card by Dynamite declined, feeling like he wouldn't fit in with his smaller stature.  I don't think he would have lasted very long with the WWF schedule.  But I could see Bret going to bat for Dynamite to come in as a heel and come after his world title.

Another fun What If?  Dynamite Kid says in his biography that after Davey Boy Smith went back to WWF in 1990, Billington called up WCW and asked if they'd be interested in him, Flair said yes, then never called him back.  Billington figures they didn't want the trouble of having him employed so they just ignored.  What if they had really brought him in around 1990.  He did wrestle almost two more years in All-Japan after the dissolution of his team.  He could have been part of the early 90s Light Heavyweight division, even though he badmouths Pillman in his book.  I think he and Pillman and he and Liger would have had some fun matches in WCW.

5 hours ago, Victator said:

Looking at Dynamite in 91 All Japan, I can't imagine him holding up long in the WWF. 

I thought he called Flair for him and Davey in 89. Bulldogs vs Steiners would either be really good or really bad.

Starrcade '89: When Bullies Collide.  

• Like 1

In Dynamite's book, he talks about Vince wanting to bring the Bulldogs back in '89 for a program with Arn & Tully, but they declined. The Bulldogs and Brain Busters worked against each other on house shows in late '88 with the matches all ending in double countouts or double DQ's.

Yeah, so...

this is fun and all, but post injury Dynamite was the shits. You know that whole late 80s "WWF TAG TEAM HEEL-IN-PERIL" style which really stinks despite the conventional wisdom that it's a golden age for tag team wrestling? A lot of that is Dynamite's fault after he becomes limited and just eats up his opponents with his napoleon complex. 

On 8/4/2017 at 6:53 AM, caley said:

Similarly, what would Dynamite Kid back in early 90s WWF had been like?  Bret offered to put in a word for him, trying to bring him back to WWF after he was moved up the card by Dynamite declined, feeling like he wouldn't fit in with his smaller stature.  I don't think he would have lasted very long with the WWF schedule.  But I could see Bret going to bat for Dynamite to come in as a heel and come after his world title.

Another fun What If?  Dynamite Kid says in his biography that after Davey Boy Smith went back to WWF in 1990, Billington called up WCW and asked if they'd be interested in him, Flair said yes, then never called him back.  Billington figures they didn't want the trouble of having him employed so they just ignored.  What if they had really brought him in around 1990.  He did wrestle almost two more years in All-Japan after the dissolution of his team.  He could have been part of the early 90s Light Heavyweight division, even though he badmouths Pillman in his book.  I think he and Pillman and he and Liger would have had some fun matches in WCW.

I always think of 1996 Dynamite in MPW, completely off the gas and clearly not even working out in the gym, that guy was going nowhere in America mid 90's. But had he of taken a few years off, had he kept fit, had his medical conditions have been different its certainly interesting to think what if. 

Hell, imagine if Dynamite were in the same locker room as Shawn Michaels in the mid - late 90's. Good Lord. 

What If Dusty stayed in Florida instead of bailing to work for the Crocketts? That would change a lot of things. 

Probably no Horsemen as we know them. I don't think Crockett would have been bold enough to buy the TBS slot from Vince. So Bill Watts gets to keep Mid South on TBS. Maybe Turner partners with him. 

Florida would have lasted longer and Eddie Graham might not have killed himself. Weren't money issues at the root of him killing himself. Obviously he was ill, but his life's work dying had to be a part of it. 

If Magnum TA stayed with Dusty, maybe he does not have his accident. 

Barry probably does not go to the WWF because Dusty did not get the pay he promised him working for Crockett. 

59 minutes ago, Victator said:

What If Dusty stayed in Florida instead of bailing to work for the Crocketts? That would change a lot of things. 

Probably no Horsemen as we know them. I don't think Crockett would have been bold enough to buy the TBS slot from Vince. So Bill Watts gets to keep Mid South on TBS. Maybe Turner partners with him. 

Florida would have lasted longer and Eddie Graham might not have killed himself. Weren't money issues at the root of him killing himself. Obviously he was ill, but his life's work dying had to be a part of it. 

If Magnum TA stayed with Dusty, maybe he does not have his accident. 

Barry probably does not go to the WWF because Dusty did not get the pay he promised him working for Crockett. 

He was involved in some kind of charity scam or something like that (Gary Hart and JJ Dillon talk about it in their books but I don't have them handy) and the authorities found out. IIRC, he was looking at some jail time and having his name dragged through the mud so that's why he did it. He also struggled with alcoholism so I'm sure that played a part in it.

Found this article that has some more detail. Very sad story.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1985-09-22/news/0330150106_1_eddie-graham-graham-brothers-professional-wrestling

5 hours ago, TerjeRUN said:

Hell, imagine if Dynamite were in the same locker room as Shawn Michaels in the mid - late 90's. Good Lord. 

I remember Bret saying if Dynamite was around in the mid 90s that none of the Kliq bullshit would have happened.

I would have liked a WWF where Dynamite didn't rush back from his back injury. Maybe if he isn't in as much pain, then he's not destroying himself as badly with drugs. 

I think if he had stayed healthy Dynamite's overall demeanor still wouldn't have kept him employed for too long in the 90s. I could see him bouncing back and forth between short stints in WCW and WWF like Neidhart, though also likely he ends up in ECW.

Healthy Dynamite vs peak Sabu would be just as big of a dream match for me as Bulldogs vs Steiners.

4 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

He was involved in some kind of charity scam or something like that (Gary Hart and JJ Dillon talk about it in their books but I don't have them handy) and the authorities found out. IIRC, he was looking at some jail time and having his name dragged through the mud so that's why he did it. He also struggled with alcoholism so I'm sure that played a part in it.

Found this article that has some more detail. Very sad story.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1985-09-22/news/0330150106_1_eddie-graham-graham-brothers-professional-wrestling

Fell down the Graham Wikipedia hole and didn't know that Mike Graham's son also committed suicide. Three generations killing themselves like they did is such a heartbreaking story.

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I remember Bret saying if Dynamite was around in the mid 90s that none of the Kliq bullshit would have happened.

I would have liked a WWF where Dynamite didn't rush back from his back injury. Maybe if he isn't in as much pain, then he's not destroying himself as badly with drugs. 

I don't think that rushing back was the issue. I think his back was just plain fucked no matter what and no amount of rest was going to fix it. He might've prolonged his career a bit by taking more rest but I think he was fucked no matter what.

9 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

He was involved in some kind of charity scam or something like that (Gary Hart and JJ Dillon talk about it in their books but I don't have them handy) and the authorities found out.

Not quite.  Graham was a victim of a scam, not a participant.  Graham borrowed a half million dollars from a bank and invested in a "dirt hauling" company.  The money was supposed to be a loan to the company.  Graham somehow had become acquainted with a dirt hauler/real estate speculator who was involved with the company.  The guy was a shady character who had served time for mail fraud.  Anyway, the company was basically a scam and very little of the $500,000 k got paid back to Graham and he was basically broke anyway.  Had a lot of bills he couldn't pay, plus the bank loan.  Apparently. he didn't tell his wife.

There were also personal issues, apparently (alcoholism being one) that contributed.

9 hours ago, ivpvideos said:

Fell down the Graham Wikipedia hole and didn't know that Mike Graham's son also committed suicide. Three generations killing themselves like they did is such a heartbreaking story.

I did not know Mike's son killed himself. That is terrible.

On 8/6/2017 at 2:45 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Riiight.  Like Dynamite could have done anything about that

Just now, The Comedian said:

Hell, Dynamite probably would've joined the Kliq. Drugs, booze, shitting in people's things, that all would've been right up his alley...

I can't see him getting along with Hall or Shawn. He would probably get along with Waltman and Nash.