DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling What Ifs

Web Conn

Barry said the government was desperate to suck him into the counterfeiting charges but could not find anything. Barry said he thought Blackjack was innocent, that he fell in with a bad crowd. It honestly sounds like he does hold a small grudge at Kendall. 

BTW in case anyone can't tell, I love Barry Windham.  I get way more pissed at anyone insulting him than I do Demolition. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Phantom Lord said:

I have an interesting what if. It would have required WCW to not screw up things on a monumental scale, but it would have really pushed the NWO vs. Tradition angle a lot further. I was playing WWE 2K17 and in one of my custom title matches I had Ricky Steamboat defending the NWA World Title against Hollywood Hogan. Despite my best efforts, the unthinkable happened and Hogan won the NWA Title (though Steamboat kicked out for 4 leg drops). Also earlier today Kevin Nash beat Dusty Rhodes for the NWA Television Title.

I was telling my friend about it and he was like "this could have actually been interesting stuff back then". The NWO hijacks tradition. So I was thinking what if the NWA didn't end up partnering with the WWF for that horrible tradition angle they did that never went anywhere, but they ended up going with WCW again. Would it have worked? I mean I could just see the tradition angle making more sense with The Horsemen and some older WCW guys rallying the troops to protect the legacy of everything they worked to build.

Plus ego wise I think Hogan always wanted to be NWA Champion and you could just imagine the promo where he runs down Lou Thesz, Jack Brisco, Harley Race, The Funks, Flair ect and talks about how he is now the greatest NWA Champion of all time.

I think after all the shit the NWA gave them in 1993, WCW had no interest in partnering with them. Also in WCW's mind their title was the NWA world title lineage. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Victator said:

Barry said the government was desperate to suck him into the counterfeiting charges but could not find anything. Barry said he thought Blackjack was innocent, that he fell in with a bad crowd. It honestly sounds like he does hold a small grudge at Kendall. 

BTW in case anyone can't tell, I love Barry Windham.  I get way more pissed at anyone insulting him than I do Demolition. 

Nobody should ever insult Demolition. If they did, they deserved to have Mr. Fuji feed them their dog. 

Ok...that might be a bit much.

• Like 3

On 7/10/2017 at 3:17 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I recently watched Hogan vs. Muta from 1993. Hogan is WWF champion at the time and Jimmy Hart is in his corner. I'm not going to spoil the outcome. Most of you here can figure it out. Hogan had his working shoes on for this one. He goes for a drop toe hold early in the match. He hits an enziguri, throws in the AXE BOMBAHHHHH!!!! Muta looked great, as to be expected from '93 Muta. Yes, Hogan does get misted. It's fun watching Japan Hogan compared to US Hogan.

If Hogan works like he did in Japan, does his face act get as stale as it did come 1992?

Hogan spends a lot more time on the shelf, so he doesn't get as stale, but he isn't as big a thing.

8 hours ago, Victator said:

Never fully understood why some people think Widowmaker was a bad gimmick. Barry himself came up with the name. Which was all it was, just a gimmick name. 

Vince's insistence that everyone have a gimmick name has always been annoying - it's just in recent times that it's gotten as out of hand as it has. I think that combined with the refusal to acknowledge that he was a tag team champion (when the belts actually meant something in the company) four years prior soured me on Widowmaker more than the actual gimmick.

• Like 1

How can you be sour on the gimmick or think it was bad? It was just a name, it's not like he was any different or they had him doing anything stupid. In fact I'm sure he was even referred to as 'The Widowmaker Barry Windham'

Say... was there any introductory vignettes before he came in or was it just a cold debut?

6 minutes ago, CreativeControl said:

How can you be sour on the gimmick or think it was bad? It was just a name, it's not like he was any different or they had him doing anything stupid. In fact I'm sure he was even referred to as 'The Widowmaker Barry Windham'

For the same reason people piss and moan every time an NXT signee with indie cred gets a new name - it's silly and unnecessary to pretend an established wrestler has no history.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MORELOCK said:

Vince's insistence that everyone have a gimmick name has always been annoying - it's just in recent times that it's gotten as out of hand as it has. I think that combined with the refusal to acknowledge that he was a tag team champion (when the belts actually meant something in the company) four years prior soured me on Widowmaker more than the actual gimmick.

Exactly.  I remember it quite well.  Windham had come off a very hot run in the NWA and there they were pulling that shit.  I think a lot of younger fans don't necessarily remember that WWF would give guys new names and also ignore their past, like Widowmaker was some unknown commodity.  It was the worst.

• Like 2

Yeah, seemed like they did that a lot during that time.  Bring in an established guy with a new WWF nickname and then shortly after they'd just be referred to by the WWF nickname.  "Mr. Perfect" Curt Hennig, Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat (the 2nd run), "The Texas Tornado" Kerry Von Erich, etc.

On 7/26/2017 at 0:33 AM, Ace said:

Not too different. Edge was going to retire within a year or so anyways.

It could have been a little different if Edge did retire within a year or so, even if he wrestled it.

Bare minimum, it seems like there would be a question mark- does Edge retain at Mania 27 if he would be there the next day (and there would seem like there'd be a $64,000 question: Did Edge know he had to retire after Mania or before Mania and chose his final match at Mania 27?).

If- and given the question, there's a big if- that happens, then the World Title scene changes up in big ways. The 2011 Draft goes on as scheduled instead of early in the year to cover for Edge's loss, for one. At the very least- Randy Orton doesn't go to Smackdown early, and Alberto Del Rio stays on Smackdown and very likely gets a good long run as champion to solidify himself. 

From there, you get the bigger possible domino to fall- if Del Rio does get a title reign on Smackdown, he presumably wouldn't need Money in the Bank in 2011 on Raw, meaning that Punk vs. Cena could be done to a more satisfying result (1) and the MITB briefcase goes to someone else. (Given who else was in MITB and on Raw beforehand, that likely means it goes to Miz or R-Truth, and either one of them would either be able to hold off for the storyline purposes, or at least have fit in the Punk/Cena storyline far better than Del Rio did.) 

And if Del Rio is getting a long heel run on Smackdown does Henry get drafted and open up the Hall of Pain? Does Daniel Bryan get as over winning the belt off ADR than winning it against Big Show and Henry and becoming an overconfident little shit? Does Bryan win the belt at all at that point? 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sublime said:

And if Del Rio is getting a long heel run on Smackdown does Henry get drafted and open up the Hall of Pain? Does Daniel Bryan get as over winning the belt off ADR than winning it against Big Show and Henry and becoming an overconfident little shit? Does Bryan win the belt at all at that point? 

The Hall Of Fame run came from being drafted to Smackdown and some joke they played on him. Henry got so pissed cussing everyone and Vince liked the fire he showed and decided to push him. 

If Del Rio stays on Smackdown as lead heel, maybe Henry stays where he is. Hell maybe Brodus Clay gets pushed as a monster instead of giving him the dancing gimmick. 

That depends, would he be face the whole time uninjured?  If so I can't see how it impacts him that much.  He needed to be a dickhead heel like he is now to make it work, so only if he did that sooner could I see him in a much better spot.

One of the July 93 Observers speculated that once Van Hammer was done with WCW, he would head to the WWF. What if that actually had happened? I always wondered why he never got a kick at the can in the WWF. He couldn't wrestle for shit but had the look they wanted and his gimmick would've fit in pretty well with early-mid 90s WWF. I think he might've done better for himself there than in WCW.

On 7/29/2017 at 8:35 AM, cwoy2j said:

One of the July 93 Observers speculated that once Van Hammer was done with WCW, he would head to the WWF. What if that actually had happened? I always wondered why he never got a kick at the can in the WWF. He couldn't wrestle for shit but had the look they wanted and his gimmick would've fit in pretty well with early-mid 90s WWF. I think he might've done better for himself there than in WCW.

As a teen, I thought he would end up attacking Diesel to settle Van Hammer vs Vinnie Vegas once and for all. 

• Like 1

Like British Bulldog in 94/95. 

Gatekeeper babyface who ends up in a tag team of sorts and good buddy of the main babyface. Having said that - Bulldog returning at Mania 9 instead of Hogan, and costing Bret the World Title, leading to the SS 92 rematch at Summerslam or KOTR would have been pretty cool and far better than end result.

What if Vince McMahon had actually wrestled in his youth? Which is two what-if's... What if Vince had debuted in WWWF getting an Erik Watts push in the late 60s, or What if Vince had showed up in an outlaw territory using a fake name, in the late 60s.

8 hours ago, AxB said:

What if Vince McMahon had actually wrestled in his youth? Which is two what-if's... What if Vince had debuted in WWWF getting an Erik Watts push in the late 60s, or What if Vince had showed up in an outlaw territory using a fake name, in the late 60s.

What's Mac Vinceman doing in the BlanchardZone here in San Antonio?

• Like 6