DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling What Ifs

Web Conn

14 hours ago, kafkonia said:

I swear I saw Hogan do a Majistral in WCW - it was about as nimble and catlike as a Goldust huracanrana. I imagine it wouldn't get any fancier than that.

He would do an abdominal stretch into a roll-up every now and then. It was his back special move in WCW/nWo Revenge on N64.

• Like 3

On 7/11/2017 at 4:15 PM, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Hogan's back/hip problems and the leg drop is interesting.  I would have thought that'd be a fairly safe finisher for both Hogan and his opponent.  I guess landing on your ass/hip a few thousand times (at least) over a 20 year period is going to take it's toll.

Don't forget, the WWF rings were really hard from right around the time SNME started until the time Vince started wrestling.  

14 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Don't forget, the WWF rings were really hard from right around the time SNME started until the time Vince started wrestling.  

I remember Foley saying that bumping on those rings felt like bumping on cement. He also said that the upside to the hard ring was that you didn't mess up your knees while running b/c there was less chance of your foot sinking into the soft mat and twisting your leg.

• Like 1

On 7/14/2017 at 5:11 AM, cwoy2j said:

For those who've wrestled, what kind of mat do you prefer? 

Soft mat, all the way. The chance of possibly twisting a knee/ankle is a fair trade for a definitely sore back/tailbone/neck. Its also likely going to effect the quality of action; guys aren't going to want to take painful or risky bumps on a hard surface. There's a reason guys don't generally take German suplexes on the unprotected floor.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Victator said:

Beyond his family, I don't think it would have a big ripple effect. He doesn't have much to do with day to day operations. 

Nothing at all, in fact. Shane's only an on-screen character.

7 hours ago, MonteCarl said:

What if Shane's recent helicopter crash had a more serious and/or fatal conclusion?

We get a very special RAW-SD crossover event next week with the 10 bell treatment, Mark Henry reading poetry, a whole lot of people crying, and lots of variants of Mi$$ You $hane signs in the crowd.

SD's team beats RAW's team at Survivor Series after Bryan sneaks in after a ref bump to stop an Angle Slam with a running knee. AJ Styles for the win.

One of Shane's kids is World Champ and the others are Tag champs at the end of WM 40something. 

But the company still winds up in the hands of Vince's daughter and his doofus son-in-law. 

• Like 3

On 7/7/2017 at 9:02 PM, Victator said:

Hogan on the Jericho show spoke of turning heel in 1990. That he put a lot of thought into what he could do to turn on Warrior and get heat. I think he talked about it on the Flair show as well. 

I don't think he would do any traitor to America deal that could hurt his future earnings as a good guy. Honestly a part of me thinks Vince wanted to hurt Sarge long term. 

Why would Vince have wanted to hurt Sarge? He was great over the years, but he was certainly never going to be a business threat - especially not in 1990. 

Did he do something in the past for which Vince still held a grudge? Something Hasbro-related, maybe?

On 7/7/2017 at 8:02 PM, Victator said:

Hogan on the Jericho show spoke of turning heel in 1990. That he put a lot of thought into what he could do to turn on Warrior and get heat. I think he talked about it on the Flair show as well. 

I don't think he would do any traitor to America deal that could hurt his future earnings as a good guy. Honestly a part of me thinks Vince wanted to hurt Sarge long term. 

Going back to this since it was quoted, I'm pretty skeptical of this. By a lot of accounts, it took a damn near Herculean effort on Bischoff's part to convince Hogan to turn heel in 1996, and they were unsure he'd actually do it right up until the Bash. That he was gonna do it for Warrior doesn't ring true to me.

14 minutes ago, Kronos said:

Why would Vince have wanted to hurt Sarge? He was great over the years, but he was certainly never going to be a business threat - especially not in 1990. 

Did he do something in the past for which Vince still held a grudge? Something Hasbro-related, maybe?

Slaughter left Vince in 84 over the original Hasbro deal. I know some guys think Vince will bide his time to get revenge over stuff.

Barry Windham thinks the New Blackjacks in 97 was pay back for Barry leaving in 1985 without notice. 

With Sarge I am not fully convinced because he worked there for years as an agent and the Traitor spot was something Vince considered a great place to be. Truthfully, Sarge probably made a lot of money that year. 

• Like 1

Just now, Cristobal said:

Going back to this since it was quoted, I'm pretty skeptical of this. By a lot of accounts, it took a damn near Herculean effort on Bischoff's part to convince Hogan to turn heel in 1996, and they were unsure he'd actually do it right up until the Bash. That he was gonna do it for Warrior doesn't ring true to me.

It could be Hogan wishing he turned heel in hindsight. But one thing with Hogan's relationship with WCW is he never trusted them. By 96 he was much more paranoid than he ever was in the WWF. 

I was thinking about this what if the other day. What would WWE's main event scene look like if Edge's neck had held up? Christian would have never gotten the World title, Henry may not have either, would D-Bry's initial run after MITB work the same? Would he even have won MITB is another question. I'd assume Edge would probably be a part timer now also. 

So if he didn't have to retire and lets say stayed full time for at least 2 more years who's pushes get hurt the most? 

I think the obvious answer is Christian. No way does he get that Edge Memorial run with the title or the subsequent series of matches with Orton. Other than that, I don't see much changing with anybody else on the roster at that time.

Speaking of Christian, who do you think he would have feuded with other than Orton if WWE let him hold the World Heavyweight Title until Night of Champions where he gets murdered by Mark Henry instead of having him drop the belt two days after Extreme Rules?

On 7/24/2017 at 10:14 AM, Victator said:

Slaughter left Vince in 84 over the original Hasbro deal. I know some guys think Vince will bide his time to get revenge over stuff.

Barry Windham thinks the New Blackjacks in 97 was pay back for Barry leaving in 1985 without notice. 

With Sarge I am not fully convinced because he worked there for years as an agent and the Traitor spot was something Vince considered a great place to be. Truthfully, Sarge probably made a lot of money that year. 

Yeah but what about the "Stalker" shit in 1989? Did Vince shit on him twice?(not that I would put it past him). As for Hogan, he couldn't let Warrior have the spotlight after the match at WMVI, there's not way in hell he turns heel then. . . .

4 minutes ago, Kuetsar said:

Yeah but what about the "Stalker" shit in 1989? Did Vince shit on him twice?(not that I would put it past him). As for Hogan, he couldn't let Warrior have the spotlight after the match at WMVI, there's not way in hell he turns heel then. . . .

I believe they genuinely thought the Stalker gimmick was good. Barry got in trouble because he was gradually using less paint and added back the cowboy boots. But Vince caught on and the New Blackjacks gimmick began after this. They put him and Bradshaw in a thirty minute match that Vince thought was not up to snuff. Then sent them out again. Barry admits his cardio was not what it was and thinks Vince was trying to embarrass him. 

I give Barry more credibility than I do other guys. Because he was not always chasing conspiracies. 

Hogan could have done a lot of damage to Warrior as a heel. Probably more than he could have as a face. 

36 minutes ago, Kuetsar said:

Yeah but what about the "Stalker" shit in 1989? Did Vince shit on him twice?(not that I would put it past him).

The Stalker was in 96 - the 89 run you're remembering had him as The Widowmaker. (So three shits.)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sublime said:

I was thinking about this what if the other day. What would WWE's main event scene look like if Edge's neck had held up? Christian would have never gotten the World title, Henry may not have either, would D-Bry's initial run after MITB work the same? Would he even have won MITB is another question. I'd assume Edge would probably be a part timer now also. 

So if he didn't have to retire and lets say stayed full time for at least 2 more years who's pushes get hurt the most? 

Not too different. Edge was going to retire within a year or so anyways.

41 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

The Stalker was in 96 - the 89 run you're remembering had him as The Widowmaker. (So three shits.)

Barry did mention the 89 run. He thinks Vince still saw money in him and was giving him a push. Never fully understood why some people think Widowmaker was a bad gimmick. Barry himself came up with the name. Which was all it was, just a gimmick name. 

My own theory is because Barry had to leave early for personal reasons, People think he was being buried. 

But it seemed to me they were taking their time with Barry like they did Curt Hennig. Not rushing him into an immediate program. I know in some TV squashes, he was mentioned as a potential Hogan challenge. Which they did not do for everyone. If Blackjack and Kendall had not run into the trouble they did, he might have gotten a program with Warrior. 

• Like 2