DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling What Ifs

Web Conn

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I recently watched Hogan vs. Muta from 1993. Hogan is WWF champion at the time and Jimmy Hart is in his corner. I'm not going to spoil the outcome. Most of you here can figure it out. Hogan had his working shoes on for this one. He goes for a drop toe hold early in the match. He hits an enziguri, throws in the AXE BOMBAHHHHH!!!! Muta looked great, as to be expected from '93 Muta. Yes, Hogan does get misted. It's fun watching Japan Hogan compared to US Hogan.

If Hogan works like he did in Japan, does his face act get as stale as it did come 1992?

That's a pretty fun match. New Japan Hogan wouldn't quite have had the same kid appeal as what Vince wanted. The Sheepherders -> Bushwackers is another classic example. 

9 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

I'm fairly certain the hip issues came from the bumps. I doubt steroids would have played thst big of a part. His big move was a leg drop. He probably could have helped save his hip by stocking with the Axe Bomber stateside.

Didn't Hogan say in an interview he wished he picked the sleeper as his finisher due to all of his hip problems?

• Like 1

Now I'm trying to envision the finishing sequence...Hulk Up, "You" finger-point, block, 3 punches, Irish Whip, Big Boot which *dazes* the standing opponent and thus spinning them around, SLEEPER.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

Although realistically, should have used the Tombstone. Knows first hand how devastating it can be, having had his neck broken with it back in 78

It was 1974. Which makes it even more devastating. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, The Nature Boy said:

Look at Hogan next to Bret at WrestleMania IX, Hogan still looked big next to Bret. He's a big dude, on or off roids. 

That's also why I feel Hogan had a solid argument as to why he shouldn't be putting Bret over. Granted, Flair was roughly the same size - but that's Ric Flair. Bret wasn't a solidified name yet. 

They should have went with Savage for the transition. Hogan was having a lot of fun in NJPW, and he didn't have to be around all the steroid scandal going on stateside. 

And now I'm imagining an alternate universe where Hogan went Ronin in 92-93 and worked for both AJ and NJ. 

HOGAN vs HANSEN

HOGAN vs JUMBO

HOGAN vs GORDY

HOGAN vs DOC

HOGAN vs CHONO (did this ever happen? That would have been fantastic).

10 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

HOGAN vs CHONO (did this ever happen? That would have been fantastic).

NJPW Ultimate Crush, 10/13/2003 - Hulk Hogan vs. Masahiro Chono at the Tokyo Dome.

Spoiler

Match went about 20 minutes.  Hogan won.  I've seen the match, but it's been so long, I don't remember if I liked it or not.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

NJPW Ultimate Crush, 10/13/2003 - Hulk Hogan vs. Masahiro Chono at the Tokyo Dome.

Reveal hidden contents

Match went about 20 minutes.  Hogan won.  I've seen the match, but it's been so long, I don't remember if I liked it or not.

Broken Back Chono vs Broken Down Hogan isn't quite what I was hoping for. ;)

Yeah, would have been a better match years earlier.  Still, that's what we got.

Hogan's back/hip problems and the leg drop is interesting.  I would have thought that'd be a fairly safe finisher for both Hogan and his opponent.  I guess landing on your ass/hip a few thousand times (at least) over a 20 year period is going to take it's toll.  Makes me wonder what the guys that use leg drops off the top feel like after a decade.  Hope all those house show wins are worth it to Fandango.

Kinda surprised Hogan never switched to the axe bomber later in his career.  Guessing the leg drop was too iconic by that point and Hulk's ego took over.  Gotta give the fans what they want, brother.  No one pays to see the Hulkster win with a clothesline.  

The idea of Hogan using a submission finisher makes me laugh.  I hope it would have been some complicated lucha finisher, maybe something from Milano Collection AT's Toryumon moveset.  I imagine Bret Hart would have had an aneurysm if Hogan had ever started using a Texas Cloverleaf or the sharpshooter as a finisher.  'Course, Hogan using a submission finisher reminds me of the time Dave Meltzer reviewed a WCW match involving Luger.  Luger used a fairly basic submission hold during the match and Dave wrote something snide along the lines of "I guess someone taught it to him backstage before the show."  Meow.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

The idea of Hogan using a submission finisher makes me laugh.  I hope it would have been some complicated lucha finisher, maybe something from Milano Collection AT's Toryumon moveset.

I swear I saw Hogan do a Majistral in WCW - it was about as nimble and catlike as a Goldust huracanrana. I imagine it wouldn't get any fancier than that.

19 minutes ago, kafkonia said:

I swear I saw Hogan do a Majistral in WCW.

I don't remember that, but I do remember him doing his two when-in-Japan fancy moves (the leg step-over into a cross-armbreaker; the move-chain of "headlock-facelock-hammerlock-drop toehold") in select WCW matches.

5 minutes ago, Hamhock said:

I don't remember that, but I do remember him doing his two when-in-Japan fancy moves (the leg step-over into a cross-armbreaker; the move-chain of "headlock-facelock-hammerlock-drop toehold") in select WCW matches.

Wasn't he busting out the mat moves in the Piper feud?

14 hours ago, kafkonia said:

I swear I saw Hogan do a Majistral in WCW - it was about as nimble and catlike as a Goldust huracanrana. I imagine it wouldn't get any fancier than that.

He would do an abdominal stretch into a roll-up every now and then. It was his back special move in WCW/nWo Revenge on N64.

• Like 3

On 7/11/2017 at 4:15 PM, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Hogan's back/hip problems and the leg drop is interesting.  I would have thought that'd be a fairly safe finisher for both Hogan and his opponent.  I guess landing on your ass/hip a few thousand times (at least) over a 20 year period is going to take it's toll.

Don't forget, the WWF rings were really hard from right around the time SNME started until the time Vince started wrestling.