DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling What Ifs

Web Conn

The biggest crime that came out of Bret leaving was how much great wrestling we lost. When I wrote that post, I had a perpetual sense of "this would've rocked." 

It's even the small things that would've been fun. For example, Backlash 04 was in Edmonton. Could you imagine Bret vs. Benoit for the World Heavyweight Championship in Edmonton? 

Apparently, Cena was close to being released before Stephanie overheard him freestyle rapping in late 02.  I think if he gets released in early 2003, he goes to TNA, finds his groove and eventually ends up back in WWE by 06-07. He gets a token championship run. 

I think Randy Orton ends up being the pushed one. They probably bear down harder on his face run in mid-late 2004. 

if he'd have been released in 02 he'd have never rebounded. I'm talking a sub-Kennedy career.

All this being said, no idea how JBL/Cena didn't headline Mania 21 considering how he's been the man ever since. The why of it is obviously politics (and a better build up)

At the time, Batista was allegedly seen as the next top-top guy too.

Merchandise sales and demographic appeal, among other factors, changed things shortly after that show and Cena shot ahead, never to be caught.

Merchandise sales and demographic appeal, among other factors, changed things shortly after that show and Cena shot ahead, never to be caught.

Trips/Batista was definitely a bigger deal than Cena/JBL at that point.

Trips/Batista was definitely a bigger deal than Cena/JBL at that point.

Yeah don't forget JBL/Cena was for the Smackdown title. RAW always takes the A spot over Smackdown.

As for Benoit. there's a lot of interesting what if's for him. Assume Bret never went to WCW and Owen didn't die cause Bret would have stopped the stunt. No Owen tribute match. Would Benoit still be alive today if he was stuck at the upper mid card level and never broke through to being World Champion?

I can see him making it the WWF for a few years and eventually leaving in 2005ish. Probably goes back to Japan or dare I say ROH. Benoit vs. Joe would have been fun around the time Joe was wrestling Kenta and Misiwa.

The Owen Tribute Match literally happened a couple of months before he left. It was a good match but I highly doubt it caused a shift in thought about Benoit. People already knew he could work and he was already over in WCW. 

He was midcard at best at the time, after that, became prominent in the main event scene with Sid, Goldberg, Bret and the Outsiders.

He got his release and the no compete clause because of him being World champion at the time/Time Warner not wanting the lawsuit. If he's just another midcarder, they don't give him (possibly all of them) his release or such generous terms.

He had also been in the Horsemen already and had just turned face by breaking out of The Revolution. 

Let's not forget that the guy was scheduled to face Jeff Jarrett for the United States Championship at Souled Out 2000. He wasn't regularly fighting for the World Title at the time. His push was pretty constant throughout 1999 and into 2000.

• 4 weeks later...

I had this one pop into my head the other night after watching a bit of the Bockwinkel/Robinson match posted in the Omnibous thread. What if Nick Bockwinkle did the anti-NWO schitck that Larry Zbyszko did in WCW. Not so much as a commentator but they could have kept him as commissioner instead of putting a very bland babyface JJ Dillion in the spot. He would have been around 63 in 97 when Larry had the feud with Hall, Syxx, and Bischoff.

We all know Nick kept himself in amazing shape and he still could very much go when he did that UWF-i exhibition with Billy Robinsion only a couple years earlier and the match with Dory Funk Jr. at Slamboree. 

As much as I like Larry, Nick Bockwinkle standing up for tradition would be so much more interesting since one he wouldn't resort to constantly calling the NWO the New World Oder. Doing the same same three matches with Syxx, Bischoff, and then Hall.

Of course it was WCW so odds are things would have played out exactly as they did with Larry but at least we'd get some more Bockwinkel promos out of it.

What if triple threat matches had become a viable match type earlier on? I know some people loathe them and I feel like they're kind of hit or miss, but the idea of a Savage/Hogan/Warrior triple threat in 1991 is really intriguing to me.

The first one to come to mind was Yoko/Luger/Bret. Match would have been nothing but that story really needed some kind of Bret/Luger match even if it was Yoko interference for a double DQ or a 3 way

If Shawn Michaels never had the first half of his career, would that second run be enough to still consider him to be one the greatest and still HoF worthy?

No. Mostly because he was generally fucking awful during the 21st century, outside of about half a dozen matches.

• Like 2

Honestly, the most entertaining thing HBK has done was randomly superkick people backstage. It was only for like 30 seconds, but I remember it for some reason. That or the "Tell Me a Lie" video for it's awesome pro wrestling cheesiness.

Honestly, the most entertaining thing HBK has done was randomly superkick people backstage. It was only for like 30 seconds, but I remember it for some reason. That or the "Tell Me a Lie" video for it's awesome pro wrestling cheesiness.

I never really cared for solo Shawn Michaels. I'd much rather watch a Rockers match than a Shawn singles match.