DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling What Ifs

Web Conn

Bret gets the first feud against Hogan, at the very least he stays for the interim period

I assume Nash and Hall get fed to Hogan in due course, unlikely to leave beyond that

the IC title probably gets a showcase again as the workrate title, Shawn gets to work with his buddies and decent guys, doubt he leaves either.

I think the issue with it is how likely they do Savage/Hogan main event at WM 10, five years in the making with Savage getting his win back, that sends people off, whilst WCW continues the momentum they had in 94 before Hogan comes in.

How soon before Mania do we have to make the call on Shawn?

Put the title on Owen and build up the "I broke your neck" stuff again?

3 way match with Taker and Kane? Either Taker goes over at the Rumble or make the Kane v Vader match from No Way Out for the interim title?

That couldve put a serious dent in "The Streak" before it ever got going as an attraction.

All depends on when Shawn is put out in the scenario though.

Here's one from around that time -

What if Austin's neck is too badly injured to work a full schedule?

Does he still get the mega push before fading out? Does he just hang around the upper mid card only working every couple of months like a modern day Jericho?

Who gets the super push as the anti establishment enemy of 'Mr. McMahon' ?

Say Shawn's back is too injured for him to wrestle Austin at Mania.

Do you hotshot the title onto Tyson, and then work a Mayweather/Show prototype match?

How would it have gone down?

I think Tyson wasn't even allowed to be a ref bit had to be an "enforcer" at ringside because it would have sunk him with the boxing commission. A title run and a match (or matches) would never happen.

Say Shawn's back is too injured for him to wrestle Austin at Mania.

Do you hotshot the title onto Tyson, and then work a Mayweather/Show prototype match?

How would it have gone down?

I think the Attitude era audience for the p.roduct at the time would have totally ate up a quick 30 second squash (provided of course Shawn was able to take a Stunner).

If Bret Hart had stuck around and been champion going into WrestleMania, I always thought that a Tyson/Bret match would've been a fun main event for No Way Out. 

I'm not sure if Bret could've dragged a decent match out of him and what finish you'd run but I'm sure it would've gotten a decent amount of press.

If Bret Hart had stuck around and been champion going into WrestleMania, I always thought that a Tyson/Bret match would've been a fun main event for No Way Out. 

I'm not sure if Bret could've dragged a decent match out of him and what finish you'd run but I'm sure it would've gotten a decent amount of press.

If BRet could make Tom Maghee look like a future superstar, I imagine he could have gotten something out of Tyson. . . 

DX interference

Bret staying does open up some interesting possibilities. I would hope that Austin vs. McMahon still happens with Vince screwing Shawn at Survivor Series, backing Bret as the Corporate Champion (and turning the Foundation into an early Corporation). Austin and DX form an uneasy alliance to take on The Corporate Foundation.

Bret/Austin, Owen/Shawn and Neidhart/HHH are your big WrestleMania matches. 

Why not Davey Boy/HHH? And what about Undertaker/Kane?

I had honestly forgotten about Davey at this point. But yeah, Triple H vs. Davey is likely the match that goes down. Taker/Kane still happens but the big angle going into WrestleMania is the Corporate vs. Anti-Corporate angle.

Re: Angle/Brock

Benoit was the rumor at the time, no?

Since Bret has to win (to retain the title), how do you do a finish where Tyson loses clean but retains his heat? 

I remember old PWI results from 93 where for a month straight at WWF shows Bret beat Luger who he had in the sharpshooter by DQ because Razor Ramon ran in and broke it up. Same exact thing except Triple H breaks up the hold.

Man just thinking about it seeing Mike Tyson in a sharpshooter would probably be a sports center moment for the ages.

There's a fair amount of marketability in a Hart/Tyson match at this point. Tyson is the bad boy boxing champion, arguably the best of all time and Bret is the good guy Excellence of Execution, the best there is, was and ever will be. Tyson is symbolic of the new age anti-hero, Bret is increasingly seen as a bitter relic of the past. 

Do some "PURE SPORTS BUILD!" type press conferences and you have a match with a fair amount of buzz.