DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling What Ifs

Web Conn

Speaking of Vince's failed ventures, I want the entire season of the XFL on the Network. 

i've said this before too. i have a set of DVDs, but i want everything in full. no TiVo over the commercials, no cutting from game to game, just each individual game available to watch at my pleasure.

edit:

i have no idea if you were being joking or not, but i was being serious. for the record.

I was being serious. I would love to go back and watch the games 13 years later to see how they hold up and if the football is actually as bad as I remember.

If Dr. Death doesn't get injured in the Brawl for All tournament, does his rumored main event program with Austin ever come to fruition?  At the time, it didn't seem like he "fit" aesthetically in 98 WWF.  Also, JR as a heel mouth piece always seem ill conceived when the Fed tried it.  I just don't see the flood of new Attitude era fans, at the time, buying Williams as a monster that would be a threat to bulldoze Austin.  

From my own experience, I had no idea who Dr. Death was until he debuted in the WWF. I think he would have needed more than just the Brawl For All win in order to successfully catapult himself into a feud with Austin. I also don't know how well his physical style would have worked with Austin, considering his neck issues and all that.

Random one: What if Bob Backlund went along with Vince's proposal to turn heel back in 1984? Would we have gotten crazy cross-face chicken wing Bob circa 1995 a decade early?

I think it would have been a bit closer to just a random turn than anything that glorious.  1984 WWF on the heel side had Piper, Schultz, Orton, Valentine, Orndorff, Studd and Muraco (albeit on the way down from his I-C title heights)...I'm not sure that Backlund could have stood out in that crowd, even if he was the best legitimate wrestler of any of them.

To have the kind of impact that he had in 1994, he would have had to channel Spiros Arion or something, turn on Hogan in a tag match ("I brought you back to the WWF and then you stole away my chance to win back the title that I held for six years!" etc. etc.) and then get fed to him so Vince could perhaps further legitimize Hogan's reign by having him compete against the only former champion (Sheik notwithstanding) that he could actually wrestle within the fed.  Probably a decent payday (especially in New York), but not that long-term of a run.  I'm not sure that he would have been any more important to the federation by 1985 than, say, the aforementioned Iron Sheik because I'm also not sure that crazy, bitter Backlund would have worked - or even been considered - as a character at the point.  Plus, the timing necessary for an angle like that would have probably completely thrown the Hogan/Piper/Lauper/MTV rock & wrestling connection off the rails.

Still, those "face" promos he cut on the Pro Wrestling USA shows were odd enough that one can imagine crazy Backlund being not-too-far beneath the surface.  I can almost see some sort of "delusional heel who thinks he's a face" gimmick (like a more serious and disturbing Bo Dallas, perhaps) being something to marvel at in that timeframe.

I think I'm actually curious where Backlund might have gone if he had chosen to stay active in 1984 and not taken the break (PWUSA notwithstanding).  Verne loved legitimate credentials and I can imagine him forcing a Backlund title run on the AWA fans in place of Martel, or perhaps Eddie Graham convincing him to return to the CWF for one last shot at keeping the Florida territory strong.

• 4 weeks later...

Also don't forget the fact that poor Irwin's unfiled paperwork and non-deposited petty cash scattered in the wind. Those Haliburton's aren't cheap!

Hogan ruined his dreams of becoming a dual champion by tossing that briefcase b/c it contained all of the paperwork needed for IRS to get a shot at the IC title.

• Like 1

What if Daniel Bryan hadn't been fired after the Nexus debut?

Would the Nexus still be around today? Would the whole yes movement, and D-BRY world champion ever happen?

Yes to the latter. Bryan's internet fans would have cheered him, so eventually he'd have been beaten down by Barrett and the Nexus to get them heel heat, Bryan would still have been the 7th member of Team Cena, and from then on his career would have followed the exact same path that it did.</worstwhatifwriterever>

• Like 1

Just like the idea of Hogan coming out when the refs down, the salt bump happens, turns up to apparently make sure Bret isn't screwed out of the title, but instead drops the leg on Bret and rolls Yoko over.

Have him do essentially the same speech after BATB 96, Yoko still feuds with Luger, Bret/Hogan, Hennig wins kotr instead and has the Lawler feud that's sort of teased at Rumble 93 anyway.

The heel going over for the first time at Mania has a lot more impact, and Mania 9 is revered a lot more than what it is.

Just like the idea of Hogan coming out when the refs down, the salt bump happens, turns up to apparently make sure Bret isn't screwed out of the title, but instead drops the leg on Bret and rolls Yoko over.

Have him do essentially the same speech after BATB 96, Yoko still feuds with Luger, Bret/Hogan, Hennig wins kotr instead and has the Lawler feud that's sort of teased at Rumble 93 anyway.

The heel going over for the first time at Mania has a lot more impact, and Mania 9 is revered a lot more than what it is.

On a grander scale then that, Hogan turns heel and gets the belt, never leaves the company, and maybe the Monday Night Wars never happens?

I think it hogan stays it's gives guys like Nash, Hall, possible Hunter and Michaels reason to go to WCW since Hogan would be throwing his weight around

I imagine Bret would have been out the door pretty quick as well. .