DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling What Ifs

Web Conn

Did anyone mention Rikidozan not dying in '63? Would Baba and Inoki have stayed in JWA instead of forming their own promotions? There's an endless amount of "what ifs", had AJPW and NJPW not existed.

Watching the first episode of the Monday Night War and it got me to thinking: what if Vince hadn't insulted Savage by forcing him into being a color commentator because he was "too old" to still wrestle? Would WCW have taken off quite so much with just Hogan instead of Hogan and Savage?

I haven't heard that was the reason. Vince must have had a change of heart over the years. Savage was only 41 or 42 when he took over commentary. Since then, HHH, Batista, Flair, and Hogan, for instance; were past that age and still active. Flair was pushing 60 as IC champ and Hogan near 50 as Tag champ. I bet if Hart didn't have his stroke, he'd probably would have done more on his return.

At that time though, WWE was in the midst of the "youth movement". Imagine Savage working a program with HBK (I don't think they ever wrestled did they?) or Bret Hart (I know they had that one SNME match but a full program would have been sweet).

At that time though, WWE was in the midst of the "youth movement". Imagine Savage working a program with HBK (I don't think they ever wrestled did they?) or Bret Hart (I know they had that one SNME match but a full program would have been sweet).

According to Lanny, Savage actually wanted and had come up with a multiple WM spanning storyline with Michaels (1994-ish, I think?) and when he pitched it to Vince, Vince pretty much dismissed it out of hand and all but blew him off.

Pissed Randy off quite a bit, allegedly.

Okay, so what if WCW ran with Mean Mark Callous as an upper mid-carder after his performance against Lex Luger and gave him a sustained push? Who plays Undertaker in WWF? Austin said when he interviewed Kamala that he couldn't envision anybody else as Taker apart from Mark and it got me thinking...

First person that came to mind for me was Crush but this would've been slap-bang in the middle of the Demolition/LOD fued. Would the character have completely tanked/not had the longevity it has had without Mark Calaway?

What if Bad News Brown doesn't leave the WWF in 1990? (And the Undertaker doesn't debut in that spot also)

Could have gone for Dibiase anticipating third time Brown turns on his Survivor Series team and gets in ahead of him. Bad News Brown mega-face ending up in the Bret spot would have been fun also.

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone mention Rikidozan not dying in '63? Would Baba and Inoki have stayed in JWA instead of forming their own promotions? There's an endless amount of "what ifs", had AJPW and NJPW not existed.

I seriously cannot imagine a Japan with only one thriving wrestling office. I mean, hypothetically that's the case right now with New Japan leaving everybody else like All Japan and NOAH in the dust, but literally just one office?!? Baba and Inoki would butt heads and one of them would splinter off and form a new office anyway I think.

So I read the review on WCW Fall Brawl 1996 on 411 Mania and it talks about Flair saying that this night killed wrestling in Winston-Salem. Hard to argue with it seeing as how WCW at the time never fucking beat the nWo in major matches, and when they did some front-office decision fucked with it, burning the fans long time. With that said, what if WCW at least wins the War Games in 1997? Sting beating Hogan with an un-fucked-with finish at Starrcade has been beaten to death, but what if at least that much happened?

I don't know what's so bad about that show tbh, arguably WCW only lost coz they doubted Sting and he walked which led into the bigger picture

What about the 1997 WarGames though? That didn't lead to much of anything other than a two month Hennig reign as US champ.

• Like 1

yep, there was no decent reason for that plus the nWo team was pretty much a collection of their shittest members. Curt was the perfect replacement 'enforcer' for Arn Anderson and an ideal Horseman, I guess it was politics as per fucking usual that killed it. I have no recollection of the following Nitro though

The following Nitro opened with them showing Flair getting obliterated in the cage, Tony walking off in protest because Flair was the reason he was in the business and was just appalled at the whole thing, and finished with Hennig pinning Mongo for the US Title. Horrendous episode of TV.

yep, there was no decent reason for that plus the nWo team was pretty much a collection of their shittest members. Curt was the perfect replacement 'enforcer' for Arn Anderson and an ideal Horseman, I guess it was politics as per fucking usual that killed it. I have no recollection of the following Nitro though

It pains me that Buff Bagwell and Konnan have won the same amount of ppy WarGames matches as Ric Flair.