DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling What Ifs

Web Conn

Yeah, at the time the nWo started, HHH wasn't nearly high enough the food chain to have made any impact as the third man.

Yeah, maybe. But I can definitely conceive of a scenario where Hall & Nash lobby to have H in the nWo early on. Thinking about it now, I don't think Bischoff would have budged on Hogan as the third man - that was non-negotiable as it was the key to the whole thing. But I can definitely see Hunter coming out with the nWo the next day on Nitro and introducing him that way.

Why did 2 Cold Scorpio not become a major superstar in either WCW or WWE/WWF? Having recently watched the awesome matches against Benoit at SuperBrawl III and Barry Windham at Clash 23, he should have been an upper card and even main event type of star. Besides the flashy moves, his matches were built well and told good stories. I know there were out of the ring issues, but that was not exactly exclusive to Scorpio during that time period. I probably should watch some of his ECW run, as I know he was a major star there, bit Scorpio;s lack of stardom seems to be one of the big missed opportunities in the big two American companies.

Per his shoot interview he had a serious crack addiction during most of his higher profile big company runs.  He had cleaned up during his last WWE run and was still just as skilled, but I think he had probably been typecast as a midcarder/JTTS by that time.  Shame, I think he's one of the most underrated wrestlers out there.

The MSG Curtain Call happened on May 19, 1996. HHH was supposed to win King of the Ring, but Austin did. HHH won the IC title for the first time on October 21, 1996. Five months after the was "punished" he was his first major title. OK.

Wrestlemania 12: Lost to the Warrior in 1:40

In Your House 7: Defeat Marc Mero in a Dark Match

In Your House 8: Lost to Marc Mero in 16 minutes (May 26th)

In Your House 11: Lost to Austin in 15 minutes (Oct. 20th)

Won the IC Title the next night on RAW vs. Mero

Left off 3-4 PPV's, but his punishment didn't last all that long.

Didn't he do a LOT of jobs on TV during that period though?

yes.

didn't we just have this discussion like a month ago and somebody compiled all his televised matches and they were all losses to low talent between those two events?

Probably ends up as being the New Japan contingent. VK Wallstreet and Jean Paul Levesque would have made a great lower card tag team...

Nah, he wouldn't have been "third man" over but Nash & Hall liked him a lot and by the time Nash got his political stroke at WCW he would've taken care of him - I'd probably compare his hypothetical WCW role to that of Curt Hennig or Jeff Jarrett. Definite US Champion.

Why did 2 Cold Scorpio not become a major superstar in either WCW or WWE/WWF? Having recently watched the awesome matches against Benoit at SuperBrawl III and Barry Windham at Clash 23, he should have been an upper card and even main event type of star. Besides the flashy moves, his matches were built well and told good stories. I know there were out of the ring issues, but that was not exactly exclusive to Scorpio during that time period. I probably should watch some of his ECW run, as I know he was a major star there, bit Scorpio;s lack of stardom seems to be one of the big missed opportunities in the big two American companies.

Per his shoot interview he had a serious crack addiction during most of his higher profile big company runs.  He had cleaned up during his last WWE run and was still just as skilled, but I think he had probably been typecast as a midcarder/JTTS by that time.  Shame, I think he's one of the most underrated wrestlers out there.

HHH still held a grudge about him being fucked up at WM 13.

Can't shake the mental image of instead of Hogan walking out at BATB '96, harpsichord music blares out through the Ocean Centre, and Terra Ryzing wanders out and curtsys at Sting before turning on him, with Bobby Heenan's famous "Whose side is he on?" changed to simply just the first 3 letters.

• Like 3

If Rick Rude's back hadn't went kaput in the mid-nineties, (and he had mended fences with Vince) how great would he have been as the head of DX or later on down the line Corporate Champion? He seems like an obvious progenitor/forebearer for cool heels like Hall and Nash and Stone Cold and was certainly headed in that direction considering an oncoming feud against his Vader before his career-ending injury.

Although I don't think Rude would've worked quite as well as HBK as the smarmy leader of DX considering how much mileage the latter had to have to gotten being a not particularly well-liked more candyass than "babyface" champion. I think that dichotomy of Bret being a serious even if pretentious hardass compared to HBK the mercurial petty candyass really helped blur the lines that would eventually find Stone Cold being the perfect medium between the two failed top dog douches Hart and HBK.

• Like 1

By the time Rick Rude passed away, DX was already dead and the Corporation was in full swing and possibly winding down. I don't think the timelines really match up unless Rude came back like a year before passing and would have been able to immediately wrestle.

By the time Rick Rude passed away, DX was already dead and the Corporation was in full swing and possibly winding down. I don't think the timelines really match up unless Rude came back like a year before passing and would have been able to immediately wrestle.

I was thinking more along the lines of Rude never seriously injuring his back in the first place more so than his apparently being healed enough for a return to in-ring action shortly before he died. So a total hypothetical like if Magnum TA never wrecked his Porsche.

Considering that Rude sided with Bret on the Montreal Screwjob it's funny to think if he'd been an active competitor he's one guy Bret likely would've willing to drop the belt to; even in his own precious backyard.

I was thinking more along the lines of Rude never seriously injuring his back in the first place more so than his apparently being healed enough for a return to in-ring action shortly before he died. So a total hypothetical like if Magnum TA never wrecked his Porsche.

Considering that Rude sided with Bret on the Montreal Screwjob it's funny to think if he'd been an active competitor he's one guy Bret likely would've willing to drop the belt to; even in his own precious backyard.

I think a non-injured Rude stays in WCW, and is one of the top faces against the NWO.

Mostly I just wish Vader would've snapped and decided to be unprofessional during that whole fiasco between him and Michaels at Summerslam.

Seeing as there was no Paul Orndorff backstage in the WWF to sucker punch him for being unprofessional, I would've liked to see it happen.

I know Bret's whole deal is that he IS Canada. But I always thought it was a little unfair of him to pull the "my backyard" card on Vince. Calgary and Montreal are about as far apart as Arizona and Vermont. If Cena refused to drop the belt anywhere in New England, he'd be called selfish.

I know Bret's whole deal is that he IS Canada. But I always thought it was a little unfair of him to pull the "my backyard" card on Vince. Calgary and Montreal are about as far apart as Arizona and Vermont. If Cena refused to drop the belt anywhere in New England, he'd be called selfish.

I think a better example would be if Cena were retiring and refused to drop the title to Rusev in Phoenix because he's an American hero and America is his home turf.