DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling What Ifs

Web Conn

If he jumps back, does Vince 'punish' him and give him a silly gimmick due to the way he (theoretically) left in 1992?

Given how hard up the WWF would've been for talent in 1996 (especially without Bret), it's highly unlikely.

The better question though is who gets Bret's push if he's not there? I don't see anyone on the roster who could be the big babyface champion that Bret was.

I figure Luger would've actually won the belt at some point, and we also never get the best years of Owen Hart's career. With no Bret to turn against, he wouldn't have had the spot he did. Hell, he probably wouldn't have had a spot at all. Not that he wouldn't have deserved it, but, as Bret said in his book, they were gung ho about Bruce having the heel Hart brother spot, so it doesn't seem like they were very high on Owen at the time.

Continuing on this line of logic, I have to figure Owen ends up in WCW for a spell and then retires to become a fireman or whatever.

If he jumps back, does Vince 'punish' him and give him a silly gimmick due to the way he (theoretically) left in 1992?

Given how hard up the WWF would've been for talent in 1996 (especially without Bret), it's highly unlikely.

The better question though is who gets Bret's push if he's not there? I don't see anyone on the roster who could be the big babyface champion that Bret was.

I figure Luger would've actually won the belt at some point, and we also never get the best years of Owen Hart's career. With no Bret to turn against, he wouldn't have had the spot he did. Hell, he probably wouldn't have had a spot at all. Not that he wouldn't have deserved it, but, as Bret said in his book, they were gung ho about Bruce having the heel Hart brother spot, so it doesn't seem like they were very high on Owen at the time.

Continuing on this line of logic, I have to figure Owen ends up in WCW for a spell and then retires to become a fireman or whatever.

I don't even think he goes to WCW. He didn't seem to care for it when he was there around 91 or so.

Oh man, how good would a Dusty/Hulk team have been at Summerslam 89?! Dusty face in-peril hot tag to Hogan would've popped HUGE. And the dancing/posedown at the end of the match would've been GLORIOUS

Just saw this but one of my all time favorites is Vince putting Windham into the Zeus role almost immediately, so now in my head it's Dusty/Hogan vs Savage/Windham and I basically hate you all for this never happening. I was happier not imagining it.

• Like 1

He was supposed to get a push and was on Savage's team at Survivor Series. It made sense that he'd be a Hogan opponent at some point. It's fantasy though. He was there at the time, mainly, and of course they knew how talented he was. They were just taking it slow with him after how he left in 85.

What if The Plane Ride From Hell never took place? Does Hennig still have the downward spiral that eventually did him in? And how would Goldust have fared?

Also, what if Cornette didn't pimp-slap Santino for giggling like a schoolgirl when The Boogeyman appeared in OVW?

• 2 weeks later...

Corvette would have done something else and eventually been gone. He never lasts long where he goes.

He lasted in WWE from 1993 until 2005. He wasn't moved down to developmental full time until 1999. 

And it seemed like Cornette was more than happy with going to developmental.

actual Hitman Bret Hart gets better and better the more time it has to percolate in my brain. Bad guy brings him in to take out Wrestler A who is a major threat to his title. Bret is portrayed as just this methodical ice-man who destroy a body part mercilessly, no emotion. Bret does a stirling job, he gets more and more popular due to his systematic destruction of people, eventually ends up challenging for the belt he was brought in to protect. $$$

• Like 1

- Original plan for WM 30 was Rock vs. Lesnar with the build starting the night after WM 29, but the Rock got hurt. If things go as planned, who does Undertaker face at WM 30? Also, Rock calls Bray Wyatt, "Wyatt Bray" in the video, so there's that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WcgL5QH_ics

I recall rumors of Bryan vs Taker in the months leading to Mania. They could have easily booked that match, doubled down on Orton vs Batista (while hiding it in the middle of the show), and tried to resuscitate Big Show just long enough for Triple H to kill him well and truly dead. 

And if there's any truth to the story that the Shield triple threat was cancelled on account of the triple threat main event, this reconfiguration of the top tier matches has the potential to shake up the undercard by adding a potential MOTYC to the show while Kane and the Outlaws quietly disappear into the battle royal or tag title match. 

Of course now that we've enjoyed a couple months of Shield vs Evolution, I'd hate to imagine a world where they went there at Mania. 

Why did 2 Cold Scorpio not become a major superstar in either WCW or WWE/WWF? Having recently watched the awesome matches against Benoit at SuperBrawl III and Barry Windham at Clash 23, he should have been an upper card and even main event type of star. Besides the flashy moves, his matches were built well and told good stories. I know there were out of the ring issues, but that was not exactly exclusive to Scorpio during that time period. I probably should watch some of his ECW run, as I know he was a major star there, bit Scorpio;s lack of stardom seems to be one of the big missed opportunities in the big two American companies.

Here's a little twist on the "What if the MSG incident never happened" thing. According to HHH's DVD (I know, I know, grains of salt and all that, but still...), Vince was prepared to fire HHH over the MSG incident, but chose to give him a second chance while shunting him down to the bottom of the ladder. What if Vince had actually had fired HHH over it? I think he probably would've went to WCW with Hall & Nash, possibly even being the third man instead of Hogan. From there, though, I don't think he does anything spectacular. Even if he returned 3-4 years later, or maybe after WCW closed down, he still wouldn't have been the star he is now, I think. He certainly wouldn't have gotten married to Stephanie and been in a front office position today.

Why did 2 Cold Scorpio not become a major superstar in either WCW or WWE/WWF? Having recently watched the awesome matches against Benoit at SuperBrawl III and Barry Windham at Clash 23, he should have been an upper card and even main event type of star. Besides the flashy moves, his matches were built well and told good stories. I know there were out of the ring issues, but that was not exactly exclusive to Scorpio during that time period. I probably should watch some of his ECW run, as I know he was a major star there, bit Scorpio;s lack of stardom seems to be one of the big missed opportunities in the big two American companies.

I was wondering that myself. While Malenko, Benoit, and Guerrero went on to stardom in WCW, Scorpio went on to be be Flash Funk. They kinda alluded to him being Scorpio when he had a match with Sabu on one of those ECW invasion RAWs

Here's a little twist on the "What if the MSG incident never happened" thing. According to HHH's DVD (I know, I know, grains of salt and all that, but still...), Vince was prepared to fire HHH over the MSG incident, but chose to give him a second chance while shunting him down to the bottom of the ladder. What if Vince had actually had fired HHH over it? I think he probably would've went to WCW with Hall & Nash, possibly even being the third man instead of Hogan. From there, though, I don't think he does anything spectacular. Even if he returned 3-4 years later, or maybe after WCW closed down, he still wouldn't have been the star he is now, I think. He certainly wouldn't have gotten married to Stephanie and been in a front office position today.

He'd probably be put back with Regal, or repacked in some awful mid-90's WCW gimmick. He'd most likely be in the nWo but not as the 3rd guy or even 5th guy.

I was wondering that myself. While Malenko, Benoit, and Guerrero went on to stardom in WCW, Scorpio went on to be be Flash Funk. They kinda alluded to him being Scorpio when he had a match with Sabu on one of those ECW invasion RAWs

He eventually became Scorpio in WWF, not long before he was let go. To answer the original question, yeah it seems his "off the field activities" led to him not getting a more significant push, as well as, in his opinion, racial prejudice. He covers it pretty extensively in his RF shoot.