DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling What Ifs

Web Conn

Owen should've gotten the belt at SummerSlam 94, held it through Survivor Series and main evented WrestleMania XI against Bret. The hype going into Mania could've focused on Owen being 3-0 over Bret and it could've been Owen's title vs. Bret's career.

Flipping through 'Have A Nice Day' and Foley mentions that his plan going into 1998 was to do a 'Best of 7' Death Match series with Terry Funk with McMahon very excited at the idea of an exploding ring match to take place at the Double-Cross ranch.  Ultimately, it's suggested that with all the mass media attention on the inclusion of Mike Tyson at Wrestlemania, it might not be in WWE's best interests to have its wrestlers getting blown up.  I'm curious what would have happened going forward.  Would the media have turned on WWE even more so ("This is just bloodletting!" etc.)?  Would they have lost sponsors/TV stations just prior to the explosion of Austin as champ?  Would it have made Foley and/or Funk into bigger stars?  It's such a baffling idea for WWE that Vince would even consider it and not dismiss it immediately out of hand that it got me wondering.

Random thought; say Bryan recovers enough to live normally, but has to retire from actual competition. Is he the kind of guy who could successfully transition to a manager/commentary role, or is that a moot question considering the way the business is now?

I'd say it's a moot question so far as managing goes.  There's not a lot of need for managers these days, and Bryan isn't a dynamic talker.

I don't really see him as a great commentator either, but.... less likely guys have done a credible job (Albert, for example).

Flipping through 'Have A Nice Day' and Foley mentions that his plan going into 1998 was to do a 'Best of 7' Death Match series with Terry Funk with McMahon very excited at the idea of an exploding ring match to take place at the Double-Cross ranch.  Ultimately, it's suggested that with all the mass media attention on the inclusion of Mike Tyson at Wrestlemania, it might not be in WWE's best interests to have its wrestlers getting blown up.  I'm curious what would have happened going forward.  Would the media have turned on WWE even more so ("This is just bloodletting!" etc.)?  Would they have lost sponsors/TV stations just prior to the explosion of Austin as champ?  Would it have made Foley and/or Funk into bigger stars?  It's such a baffling idea for WWE that Vince would even consider it and not dismiss it immediately out of hand that it got me wondering.

I always assumed that this was Mr. McMahon "yessing" MF to keep him happy but an exploding ring match would have been a 'Plan C' at best. It may have intrigued VKM for a moment but he sobered up about it quickly.

- Onita as special ref?,

RAF

The idea of an exploding ring death match occurring under the WWF banner is just crazy. Good job by them not running that one.

You've gotta admit though, considering how well they do special effects, the end result would've looked pretty good. Probably even better than it's predecessors. Although the grainy nature of the FMW footage is what adds to those matches. Like brilliant lo-fi music. They go hand in hand.

Random thought; say Bryan recovers enough to live normally, but has to retire from actual competition. Is he the kind of guy who could successfully transition to a manager/commentary role, or is that a moot question considering the way the business is now?

He doesn't strike me as having the chops for either of those. I assume if he had to retire and wanted to stay connected to the business a wrestling school would work. I would think every smark looking to break in would flock to be trained by one of their heroes.

He doesn't strike me as having the chops for either of those. I assume if he had to retire and wanted to stay connected to the business a wrestling school would work. I would think every smark looking to break in would flock to be trained by one of their heroes.

I could easily see him being made head trainer of NXT if he didn't want to go out on his own.

• 2 weeks later...

What if David Crockett didn't put that piece of lumber at the bottom of what was supposed to be the Shockmaster's entrance, assuming he did to begin with and Dusty didn't lie about it? 

Also, what if WCW decided that Paul Roma wouldn't make a good fit with the Horsemen? Who takes his place?

I can't wrap my head around The Shockmaster as a gimmick that actually works.  Were they trying to redo Vader?  Ole couldn't keep doing promos, and if Fred was going to wear a mask in the ring he should have worn it under the helmet when debuting.

What if Vince Sr. never meets Vince Jr? It's a realistic what if that would change so much. 

At the time, the WWWF was supposed to pass onto Gorilla Monsoon once Vince Sr. retired. Monsoon had bought into the company and was fairly involved in day to day operations. What happens to the WWF after Vince's death?

Moreso, what happens to Vince McMahon? I can't imagine him just being some dude living in Eastern North Carolina. Does he go into wrestling anyway? He surely would've known who his father was and could've tried to cash in on his family name to get a gig with Jim Crockett. 

I think Monsoon was just like Vince in that he could see that the wrestling business was about to change and needed to change. Therefore I think a lot of the same changes that took place in 1983-84 still happen. Maybe not the buying out territories en masse, but the content would've changed.

What if David Crockett didn't put that piece of lumber at the bottom of what was supposed to be the Shockmaster's entrance, assuming he did to begin with and Dusty didn't lie about it? 

Also, what if WCW decided that Paul Roma wouldn't make a good fit with the Horsemen? Who takes his place?

Tully wasn't doing much of anything at that point. He was back at Slamboree 94 so it's not out of the realm of possibility that if need be, they could've gotten him beforehand as his failed drug test was 4 years prior to Roma being in the Horsemen. Failing that, maybe they have Anderson and Flair turn heel and join up with The Blondes? There really weren't too many possibilities that I can think of in WCW 1993 aside from maybe Regal or Orndorff.

Here's a link to the 1993 WCW roster, maybe there's someone I'm overlooking:

http://www.solie.org/wcw93.txt

Roma was the back up plan after they low balled Tully, same thing happened in 94 when they wanted him to lose to Terry Funk. They could have made Bobby Eaton a Horsemen, The Midnights nearly joined in 90 and Eaton teamed with Arn in 92. 

If Owen lived, i think Bret would have ended up back in the WWF by 2000. Bret had his fill of WCW before 98 was done.