DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling What Ifs

Web Conn

Watts insists that he wasn't "forced out," as he was fed up anyway and quit around the time the comments came to light.  Judging by the way he quit the WWF a few years later, I see no reason not to believe him.

Fair enough. So what if he didn't choose to leave and had the financial backing that Bischoff had?

It's odd when you think about it. Turner gives money to Frey and Bischoff, two guys with little to no experience running a wrestling company, while telling Watts to cut costs.

I get the feeling Watts wouldn't have been able to adapt to the times. He has a very specific idea of what wrestling should be and anything that doesn't jibe with that he writes off. I can't imagine him trying to book with the racier themes of the mid to late nineties, its like your grandpa trying to write an episode of the Wire.

Watts in WCW was really bad for that company IMO. Completely killed any momentum they'd made in 92, and of course his salary was reliant on how much money he saved the company, essentially taking it from the boys pockets, hence why he fired/low balled so many stars. That and his emphasis on house shows as opposed to TV... despite working for a major network who probably didn't give a shit about house show numbers, just ratings, didn't make sense.

What if RVD hadn't been arrested on drug charges when he was getting his mega push (when he held both the WWE and ECW titles)?

Also what if Regal hadn't had a wellness violation during his big push?

RVD was supposed to turn eventually right? Probably hurts Edge's push, he really benefitted from that feud. He doesn't main event SummerSlam, though he still seemed destined to ascend to the main event scene. I think the arrest hurt Sabu more, he wasn't sticking around out of usefulness as much as he was because he was an ECW guy.

You know what would have been awesome if that had happened?

They ended up going with that crazy WWF magazine interview about his neglected childhood, and brought in......trying to think of veteran black worker from the time.....lets say the JYD, as his abusive estranged father.

A hotdogs on a pole match would have been magnificent.

What if Hunter stayed in WCW for a couple more years to try and break through there? His move to WWE couldn't be timed any better for him personally and he obviously has had a huge impact on the industry as a whole.

What if Hunter stayed in WCW for a couple more years to try and break through there? His move to WWE couldn't be timed any better for him personally and he obviously has had a huge impact on the industry as a whole.

Becomes a Horseman, marries Bischoff

• Like 4

I've always wondered what would have happened if Hogan/Sting at Starrcade 1997 had essentially followed the format of Austin/Dude at OTE 1998. For me, that match was the one that truly solidified Stone Cold as THE guy in the industry.

Imagine the same match layout for Hogan/Sting, with Eric Bischoff in the Vince-as-guest-ref role, Scott Hall as timekeeper, Kevin Nash as ring announcer, and a debuting Bret Hart keeping things in check as Taker did. I daresay that if such a thing had come to pass, based on what OTE 1998 did for the WWF, that WCW could have won the wrestling war there and then.

Of course, we got something rather different.

The one problem was that neither Hogan or Sting, especially in 1997, were gonna be able to work the match like Austin and Mick did in 1998. Sure, the outside influences helped take the match over the top, but Austin and Mick really tore the house down. Sting and Hogan weren't gonna be able to duplicate that.

Right. Not only could Hogan and Sting not work a physical, wild match like Austin and Foley did (which is what really made it memorable more than the guest stips and run ins) but also WCW could never PRODUCE segments like that as effectively as WWE could/can. I get what you are going for but it would've just been an overbooked mess w Hogan, Bischoff, Nash, etc having their hands on it.

That 'what if HHH stays in WCW' has burned a Horsemen vs nWo Wargames into my head featuring a Horsemen lineup of LeVesque, Benoit, Malenko, and Hennig with Flair and Arn stepping aside as managers/advisors and I really want to see thhat match against The Outsiders, Syxx, and Konnan.

• Like 1

Or if Vince doesn't offer him anything initially when his contract expired in WCW. Tags around with Regal as another version of the Blue Bloods before getting released in early to mid 1996.

Clique never take him under their wing. Ends up becoming another Freddie Joe Floyd/Goon type (maybe even tags with Jannetty as the New Rockers instead of Al Snow), before being loaned out to ECW. HHH gets the Justin Credible gimmick instead.

Or if Vince doesn't offer him anything initially when his contract expired in WCW. Tags around with Regal as another version of the Blue Bloods before getting released in early to mid 1996.

Clique never take him under their wing. Ends up becoming another Freddie Joe Floyd/Goon type (maybe even tags with Jannetty as the New Rockers instead of Al Snow), before being loaned out to ECW. HHH gets the Justin Credible gimmick instead.

At least HHH is good enough to warrant actually having one of my favorite bands play his theme music. Justin Credible getting to use a Prong song was a traveschmockery.

I really enjoy the identification of many of pro wrestling's key moments in this thread more so than I like the fantasy extrapolation of what-might-have-happened. It's impressive to realize how many possible turning points there have been (and there are) which could have brought us a different landscape than the current one.

- multiverse,

RAF 

• 2 weeks later...

What if Rick Rude and Ricky Steamboat don't have career ending injuries in the space of a month of each other?

Does Hogan have a mandate to bring in all his friends?

Would the nWo have worked, had they done it in 1994, a few months after Hogan's arrival and hear the negative reaction he was getting against Flair?

Have Hogan/Savage/Tenta/Bossman/Duggan/Brutus as your NWO against Flair, Sting, Vader, and the Nasties. Either bring in Luger later in the year as another NWO guy, or the difference maker for WCW.

perhaps a different dynamic - have it more Dungeon of Doom like than the cool heels, but the dynamic of having this hostile takeover by opportunistic heels who see an opening - Hogan to get advantage of Turner's open chequebook, and then with Steamboat and Rude going down, manipulating Bockwinkle into bringing his friends in to fill the gaps, and slowly taking over and turning WCW away from what it was into something more New Yorkish..

I have one. So Flair leaves WCW in March of 98 but instead of returning in September he shows up in ECW during a SHane Douglas promo. What happens? Other then the ECW fans losing their shit.