DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling What Ifs

Web Conn

A Flair/Yokozuna feud could have been very interesting and given us a preview of Flair/Vader when it did happen in WCW. But I am sure Flair would have had some backup vs Mr. Fuji. Would Heenan have considered being a babyface manager for Flair vs Yokozuna?

A Flair/Yokozuna feud could have been very interesting and given us a preview of Flair/Vader when it did happen in WCW. But I am sure Flair would have had some backup vs Mr. Fuji. Would Heenan have considered being a babyface manager for Flair vs Yokozuna?

Maybe, but I doubt a face Heenan would've been well received.

Speaking of Flair what if Flair went to the WWF in 88 and wrestled Savage at SummerSlam 88?

That would've been the de facto main event and very likely would have stolen the show.  Although presumably Hogan would've worked with DiBiase, and that would've been intriguing to see what Ted could get out of Hulk in a one-on-one big match.

Speaking of Flair what if Flair went to the WWF in 88 and wrestled Savage at SummerSlam 88?

That would've been the de facto main event and very likely would have stolen the show.  Although presumably Hogan would've worked with DiBiase, and that would've been intriguing to see what Ted could get out of Hulk in a one-on-one big match.

Didn't Hogan and DiBiase work the house show circuit with one on one matches for some time? If so then maybe a Survivor Series 88 match if they weren't already working towards the Hogan-Savage feud.

Didn't all the Hogan/DiBiase matches end the same way? Virgil gets involved causing the DQ letting Hogan win. They could have probably built up to a steel cage match at Summerslam. Of course no Mega Powers vs. Ted/Andre means no Miss Elizabeth doing the strip tease. What a horrible what if world that would be to live in.

• Like 1

Have covered "What if Sting hadn't tore up his knee on the cge during the Clash"? I mean he was supposed to win the title in Feb/March so I doubt we would have gotten the Black scorpion angle to start with. He could have wrestled Flair a few more times and then moved on to someone else (Luger would've still been a heel if Sting had not wrecked his knee so there is a challenger right there, possibly even for Starrcade)

James

The April Discussion thread got me thinking, what if Jeff Hardy had stayed with WWE in 2009, and remained sober? Would there be anybody in the main event scene now, that wouldn't have been there if he had stayed? What would the title picture look like? That feud did a lot for Punk, does it still have the same affect?

Have covered "What if Sting hadn't tore up his knee on the cge during the Clash"? I mean he was supposed to win the title in Feb/March so I doubt we would have gotten the Black scorpion angle to start with. He could have wrestled Flair a few more times and then moved on to someone else (Luger would've still been a heel if Sting had not wrecked his knee so there is a challenger right there, possibly even for Starrcade)

James

Slightly related, but did Sting's knee injury affect him performance-wise? I haven't seen many Sting matches pre-injury and I'e read it took him a bit to really get going again when he came back. The Vader and Cactus matches were awesome but was it because he worked a different style due to the knee injury or did he wind up eventually making a 100% recovery?

The April Discussion thread got me thinking, what if Jeff Hardy had stayed with WWE in 2009, and remained sober? Would there be anybody in the main event scene now, that wouldn't have been there if he had stayed? What would the title picture look like? That feud did a lot for Punk, does it still have the same affect?

Maybe Hardy's first heel turn would've happened and he'd be feuding with Cena.

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of 1992 WCW is just really good. I wonder what would have happened if A) Watts' #1 task wasn't simply cutting losses and thus, didn't have to low-ball guys like the Steiners on contracts and B- If he hadn't made the comments that eventually forced him out. WCW had a good roster and Flair was on his way back in early '93. If Watts didn't leave, Ross probably didn'tleave for the WWF either. I know Watts gets some heat for trying to turn back the clock with taking the lights away from the crowd and the top rope ban, but the good really outweighed the bad.

Watts insists that he wasn't "forced out," as he was fed up anyway and quit around the time the comments came to light.  Judging by the way he quit the WWF a few years later, I see no reason not to believe him.

Watts insists that he wasn't "forced out," as he was fed up anyway and quit around the time the comments came to light.  Judging by the way he quit the WWF a few years later, I see no reason not to believe him.

Fair enough. So what if he didn't choose to leave and had the financial backing that Bischoff had?

Fair enough. So what if he didn't choose to leave and had the financial backing that Bischoff had?

It's odd when you think about it. Turner gives money to Frey and Bischoff, two guys with little to no experience running a wrestling company, while telling Watts to cut costs.

I get the feeling Watts wouldn't have been able to adapt to the times. He has a very specific idea of what wrestling should be and anything that doesn't jibe with that he writes off. I can't imagine him trying to book with the racier themes of the mid to late nineties, its like your grandpa trying to write an episode of the Wire.

Watts in WCW was really bad for that company IMO. Completely killed any momentum they'd made in 92, and of course his salary was reliant on how much money he saved the company, essentially taking it from the boys pockets, hence why he fired/low balled so many stars. That and his emphasis on house shows as opposed to TV... despite working for a major network who probably didn't give a shit about house show numbers, just ratings, didn't make sense.

What if RVD hadn't been arrested on drug charges when he was getting his mega push (when he held both the WWE and ECW titles)?

Also what if Regal hadn't had a wellness violation during his big push?

RVD was supposed to turn eventually right? Probably hurts Edge's push, he really benefitted from that feud. He doesn't main event SummerSlam, though he still seemed destined to ascend to the main event scene. I think the arrest hurt Sabu more, he wasn't sticking around out of usefulness as much as he was because he was an ECW guy.