DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling What Ifs

Web Conn

Watching old Manias on The Network, had this thought:

What if the roles of Savage and Hogan were reversed going into WrestleMania 5? The pop for Savage when he beats DiBiase at WM 4 is huge, seems as big as the pops Hulk was getting. And by most measures of actual life, Hulk could be the heel in that situation. After all, he was the former top guy who was latching onto the new champ to steal some of his thunder. Hell, he's paling up to the guy's wife! How does that not make him heel?

Anyway, it's interesting to think what happens if Macho is given the opportunity to be the No. 1 face and Hulk is turned heel six years earlier. He still had mileage as the guy, but I'd go as far as to say fans had tired of Hulkamania two years later by WM 7, hence the downscaling of the event from the Coliseum to the God-awful Sports Arena.

You know the whole "you can't turn Cena heel for reasons x, y and z" argument? Multiply that by 100 and you have the reasons not to turn Hulk Hogan in early 1989. And that's not even factoring in that WWF invested millions in No Holds Barred, which barely broke even as it was, let alone what would have happened if Hogan was now the top heel in the company.  

What if Tully Blanchard didn't flunk the drug test? Would he have continued to be as hot as he was in 1988-89 and carried the momentum to WCW? On the much scarier side of thinking, did the failed drug test save him from becoming like everybody else in World Class?

What if Crockett didn't make the dumb decision to run his first PPV in Chicago, then repeat the mistake months later in New York? Does Vince still bitch-slap his PPV's with the Survivor Series and the Royal Rumble? Better yet, does he still hold PPV companies by the balls and make them not air Starrcade 1987?

What if the Shockmaster didn't trip?

What if Dustin Rhodes didn't blade on that flatbed truck? Do we still get Goldust?

On the Ric Flair and the Four Horsemen DVD Flair recalls how Bischoff ran his cocksucker to the WCW locker room when Flair no-showed Thunder. What if Flair actually sued his ass?

What if Buff Bagwell acted like he actually gave a shit when he had his WCW title bout against Booker T on RAW?

What if Tully Blanchard didn't flunk the drug test? Would he have continued to be as hot as he was in 1988-89 and carried the momentum to WCW? On the much scarier side of thinking, did the failed drug test save him from becoming like everybody else in World Class?

What if Crockett didn't make the dumb decision to run his first PPV in Chicago, then repeat the mistake months later in New York? Does Vince still bitch-slap his PPV's with the Survivor Series and the Royal Rumble? Better yet, does he still hold PPV companies by the balls and make them not air Starrcade 1987?

What if the Shockmaster didn't trip?

What if Dustin Rhodes didn't blade on that flatbed truck? Do we still get Goldust?

On the Ric Flair and the Four Horsemen DVD Flair recalls how Bischoff ran his cocksucker to the WCW locker room when Flair no-showed Thunder. What if Flair actually sued his ass?

What if Buff Bagwell acted like he actually gave a shit when he had his WCW title bout against Booker T on RAW?

Can you elaborate on why that was a mistake? I understand why New York was a mistake, since NY has always been a WWF/E stronghold, but I'm legitimately curious why Chicago was a mistake. Was JCP not over in Chicago? Seemed like they had enough talent on the roster that'd resonate with Chicago folks.

I have a morbid fascination with the idea of Gorilla Monsoon being the third man.

OH BOY BRAIN, THESE FANS CAN STICK IT! In fact they can use the irresistible force of my immovable object to stick it! THEY WENT TO THE WELL ONE TOO MANY TIMES JESS!

Okay, I couldn't resist. Now I Photoshopped Monsoon, Heenan, and Ventura as the alternate-universe nWo:

g0GTLzc.jpg

Dave Attell in the nWo?  I like it.

• Like 1

Can you elaborate on why that was a mistake? I understand why New York was a mistake, since NY has always been a WWF/E stronghold, but I'm legitimately curious why Chicago was a mistake. Was JCP not over in Chicago? Seemed like they had enough talent on the roster that'd resonate with Chicago folks.

Okay, yeah they did have Luger and the Roadies at this time, and they did run a lot of shows prior to the PPV. But it just seems to me that they'd run their initial PPV in actual NWA or Crockett hotbeds like Virginia or the Carolinas or Georgia.

People who were around at the time contend the decision was made because Chicago was a huge-drawing city for them. 

Really, Vince using Survivor Series as a shakedown tool hit them harder than whether Starrcade 87 was in Chicago, Greensboro or Atlanta. 

• Like 1

What if Larry Z hadn't left the WWF after Shea Stadium?

Most likely, Zybysko would have been the one to unseat Bob Backlund around the same time period. Naturally, this would also, in all likeliness, lead to Bruno getting the title from Zybysko back...and then, there is the real question. Does Bruno agree to lose the title to Hogan when he comes in?

That would be very interesting, since Bruno wasn't just A babyface, he was THE babyface.  Would Hogan have been brought back as a heel initially?

More likely I imagine there would've been a heel transitional champ, which of course is all Sheiky was.

What if Larry Z hadn't left the WWF after Shea Stadium?

He didn't. He stuck around for awhile, had some great matches with Backlund and a short feud with Tony Atlas.

And in no way was Bruno gonna be champ again. He was more or less halfway retired before the Larry feud, and only did a handful of matches afterwards. Bob wasn't losing the belt in 1980 under any circumstance. He was over as fuck and Vince Sr. was totally behind him.

But wasn't the plan to originally have Larry turn face again before he bolted for... I wanna say Georgia?

James

Nah, people have assumed that because of Larry raising Bruno's hand after the cage match. But they ran some Bob vs Larry matches, that led to the Larry/ Atlas program at the Spectrum. I actually do a podcast called Titans of Wrestling with three other dudes about this era of WWF where we cover all this extensively....and hilariously.

http://placetobenation.com/

Look for the Titans shows in the podcast section with pics of Bruno.

The problem with doing Starrcade in Chicago, was not that they were not over in Chicago. It was they alienated their home markets by running their biggest show in Chicago. Crockett worried too much about running shows on the West Coast and the Northeast, instead of keeping their home market strong.

The problem with doing Starrcade in Chicago, was not that they were not over in Chicago. It was they alienated their home markets by running their biggest show in Chicago. Crockett worried too much about running shows on the West Coast and the Northeast, instead of keeping their home market strong.

Cornette said in Flair's book To Be The Man that if Crockett had went back to running 90% of the shows in the South they probably wouldn't have went bankrupt as fast. Then again, Dusty booking finishes that pissed off the fans on a repeated basis didn't help either.

Thinking about the Undertaker streak and how he missed Mania X and 16. If he was not injured who would he been paired up against and would there be any chance that he loses?

Mania X I would think either Bigelow or Adam Bomb or maybe Earthquake returns as a heel.

16 it seemed like they were building to Undertaker vs Big Show before the injury. If that match happens does the four way main event become just HHH vs The Rock and Foley stays retired or does someone like Jericho get elevated into that slot?

I don't think Jericho would have gotten elevated into that slot (they would have had to start pushing him earlier and faster). It probably would have just been HHH/Rock, maybe they make it a three way with Foley. Perhaps they do HHH/Foley at the Rumble and No Way Out like originally happened, except they hold off onto the retirement stipulation until WrestleMania.

• 3 weeks later...

What if when Flair walked out of WCW in March of 98 and had followed through with suing and had actually won? I see an inevitable title run with Austin but whatelse when does he retire?, how well does he adjust to the Attitude Era? 

I love Flair as much as the next guy, but I don't see how he could work in the Attitude Era. One of the big selling points of the Attitude Era was that it didn't feature the old geezers that were all over WCW TV.