DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling What Ifs

Web Conn

What if Shane was a woman and Stephanie was a man?

Then either Macho has no issue (Shane being older then Stephanie at the time of the mythic encounter) OR our view of Macho is very VERY different.

I now want to see a remake of The Crying Game, with Mach in the Forrest Whittaker role.

"Oooh, NO!"

I think it's in Terry Funk's book, but it might be one of Foley's later ones, where the writer wishes they complained about the cell breaking wrong and a 2x4 being in the dumpster and nearly destroying Terry's kidney, because Owen's fall probably wouldn't have happened.

• I can't believe I've never heard about this 2x4 in the dumpster.  Can you elaborate?  I'm especially interested just because I was there live for that Raw.  And not that it's in anyway relevant to the conversation, but I remember how incredibly funny it was later in the show when Terry Funk came running back out in a hospital gown with it untied, in his underwear, pushing an IV stand.  I can't for the life of me remember if that was on TV or dark.
  • So.........non "smarks" have the urban legend where a large chunk of people swear there was more than one Ultimate Warrior.  If the "Savage screwed around with Stephanie" the "smark" equivalent of that where it just isn't true, but so many people just swear that it is?

Having Funk & Foley run out the same show that they were thrown off of the stage is vintage Russo.

What if the Radicals never left WCW? Benoit was given the strap before they left, where does he go from there. They are probably still dead a year later though.

Having Funk & Foley run out the same show that they were thrown off of the stage is vintage Russo.

What if the Radicals never left WCW? Benoit was given the strap before they left, where does he go from there. They are probably still dead a year later though.

It was vintage Russo, but it kinda fit Foley and Funk's characters of basically not being able to feel pain/ridiculous ability to take punishment.

What happens with the Two Man Power Trip if Triple H doesn't tear his quad?

This was right on the verge of the InVasion storyline. I'm assuming they break up shortly after losing the tag-titles, it's either 1.) Triple H aligns with Stephanie and takes Austin's spot as leader of the Alliance. 2.) Stephanie never heads up the Alliance and Triple H takes Jericho's spot in the storyline.

What if outside buyers purchased and saved both WCW and ECW? Likely TNA wouldn't have started when it did, but would one or both still be around today?

WCW still dies when Jamie Kellner pulls it off television.

What if outside buyers purchased and saved both WCW and ECW? Likely TNA wouldn't have started when it did, but would one or both still be around today?

Assuming they don't find another TV deal on another network.

I think Bret or Shawn would have had a monster impact like Hogan did. Bret/HBK might have actually hurt WWF more because it'd have been yet ANOTHER major WWF star going to WCW and would have further made WCW look like the big time.

I don't think Sting or Luger would have worked nearly as well and the nWo would have been eating legdrops by Starrcade. I can't picture Sting getting over as the heel leading the anti-WCW movement and while Luger would be a better fit than Sting, I don't think he had the charisma or the star power to take the nWo to the same heights that Hogan did.

• Like 1

What happens with the Two Man Power Trip if Triple H doesn't tear his quad?

I remember reading a rumor stating that they wanted to do Austin-HHH at Mania with the same dynamic as Jericho-HHH, heel Austin vs. face HHH. Probably not much better, but at least saves us from Austin-Hall.

I had heard a story about attempts to pull WCW programming from TBS on the Old School Wrestling Podcast where Ted Turner flipped his lid during a board meeting when asked to do just this: he said that wrestling was the main reason they pulled the rating they did back in the day and the main reason the network was able to survive, and that it had better be the last time anyone suggested pulling wrestling from the network.

A better question would be if the AOL/Time Warner merger doesn't happen, would the pressure to sell off/close WCW have subsided and if so, do you think Turner would have remained in the rasslin business past 2001?

To re-mention something from earlier, what if HBK walked out on Vince and became the third man in the NWO? Something tells me with the ego Shawn had back then along with his two buddies to back him up, the NWO wouldn't have eaten leg drops and used the political power to say "You signed us because you needed us, fuck Hogan" and.... And I don't know where it would go from there but I think with HBK as the leader and his silver tongue, it could still be pretty hot...

I've engaged in a "what if HBK was the third man" discussion somewhere, and the consensus was that Hogan's political clout was ridiculously strong in WCW and that for all the power Hall and Nash had, and HBK would have had, Hogan would have ultimately strong-armed them.

Personally, I think an HBK-led nWo would have been SO hot that WCW would have wanted Hogan to put Shawn/nWo over, Hulk would have refused, and WCW would have just done away with him.

What would have been neat is if WCW had Hogan be the third guy, but also managed to bring HBK in as the 4th guy instead of turning The Giant. Then once the nWo started getting stale, you could have had Shawn, Hall and Nash kick Hulk out and have the three of them (four if you include Kid) running around as the Kliq.