DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling What Ifs

Web Conn

What if there was no AJ/NOAH split? Does Misawa eventually get financing to force Motoko Baba out?

What if Hashimoto had not died? How well would his Ne Japan return go? Does he come in as returning hero or heel invader? Do they give him one last IWGP reign? Do we avoid the Lesnar debacale and see Hash pass the torch to Tanahashi?

James

What if Vince had bought UFC instead of Fertitta?

That hurts my brain just thinking about it.  MMA wouldn't have taken off, if you ask me.  Vince would have never understood it at all.  Imagine just one division, the heavyweights!

For what it's worth, I think the idea was for Shane to run it.

My biggest What If is What If the Invasion was booked logically? For instance, the hottest act at that point in time was Rob Van Dam. I know hot shotting titles and all that is ridiculous, but RVD should have been instantly elevated. That Raw where EVERYONE on the Alliance lost two or three weeks before the PPV wouldn't have happened as well. 

Aside from that, it's what if Austin shakes Vince's hand and then gives him the Stunner at WMX-7? Right behind that is HHH coming out to attack Austin on the Raw after WMX-7 instead of teaming up with him. Does HHH still tear his quad since Two Man Power Trip vs Jericho/Benoit never happens? What happens with Jericho and Benoit? We sadly miss out on the damn near ***** Austin vs Benoit match from SmackDown!.

If Hogan gets the AWA title, the WWF boom never happens to the extent it does. Maybe Vince still gets some mainstream exposure thanks to Cyndi Lauper, but as much as it pains me to say it, nobody else at that point would have had the connection with the fans (especially the kids) that Hogan did. Without him as a focal point, the WWF wouldn't be as successful, and the whole landscape winds up different.

• Like 1

AWA didn't have the exposure WWF had. WWF would have just rolled with Snuka or someone else.

But Snuka, or Savage, or Steamboat -- none of them could have been The Guy the way Hogan was. And without the WWF behind him, Hogan would never have amounted to the same thing either. Separately, neither Vince nor Hogan would have had the impact they had together.

Continuing with the smaller What Ifs- one of the newer What Ifs with potential coming from the last few years: 

-What if WWE picked the jobber originally booked in late-January 2008?  Colin Delaney was the third choice to be the jobber in ECW, and got a short WWE run out of it before being released in mid-2008. The first choice: Brodie Lee/Luke Harper (who, assuming that he does get the shot that time- presumably has the same career in 2008 and is long gone before the Wyatt Family formation.)

• Like 1

My biggest 'what if' was always about Owen. I think he would have done big things in the brand extension era. Maybe would have held a World title.

If we are still going under the assumption that the Radicalz still make the jump in early 2000, I  really think he could have found a second life as a stablemate/opponent for everyone in the group.  

• Like 1

What if WrestleMania was not successful?  I assume whoever had the 6:05 timeslot would have been in control for a while.  Wrestling, if I'm correct, would still have been popular and mainstream, so it's fair to say there would have been a power vacuum for control.  Would Crockett still have been forced to sell to Turner?  He would have had access to Hulk and would have only had Verne to fight with but would that have been enough for him to succeed?  Let's say, JCP still has to sell.  WCW may have been the #1 promotion in the US until at least 2001 and beyond maybe.

• Like 1

My biggest 'what if' was always about Owen. I think he would have done big things in the brand extension era. Maybe would have held a World title.

If we are still going under the assumption that the Radicalz still make the jump in early 2000, I  really think he could have found a second life as a stablemate/opponent for everyone in the group.  

I think he would have lingered on in the mid-card before retiring and ending up as an agent.  Owen's window to win the world title has already past him by the time he died.

• Like 1

What would the state of professional wrestling be like, especially in Japan, if the Axis powers had won World War II?

What if Erik Watts had been as talented as Dustin Rhodes?

What if TNT had a weak, practically non-existent standards and practices department during the Russo era of WCW?