DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling What Ifs

Web Conn

What is your big wrestling "what if"? There is a ton of them "what if Bruiser Brody wasn't stabbed? "What if Hogan never signed with WCW?" "What if Wrestlemania was a flop?" Which one is the one you think about from time to time?

My big one is "what if RVD and Sabu never got pulled over in Philly, back in 06?" Van Dam was just being a huge push as duel champion Sabu was getting a decent push as well he just wrestled Cena at a PPV. I wonder what the direction the revived ECW would've took with Van Dam not Big Show as ECW Champion? And how would a three way feud between Cena RVD and Edge of been?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What if Mike Awesome came to WCW as ECW Champ? What if June 22-24th 2007 never happened? What if Vince had two sons? What if TNA was good? What if Kurt started in ECW? What if WWE never turned it around during the Monday Night Wars? Since it's been a subject in the network thread what if Over the Edge '99 had no incident?

The two probably biggest "What if's" that would've changed the course of history:

What if Verne actually pulled the trigger with putting the AWA Belt on Hogan instead of jerking everyone around with the false swaps and let Hogan walk to Vince.

(Depending on if this is truth and you believe it): What if the MSG Incident never happened?

• Like 2

One smaller one I've always liked: 

-What if the USA Network didn't force WWE to do a "second draft", leading to the 15-person 2009 trade? (The trade: Raw got Mark Henry/Jack Swagger/Evan Bourne/Alicia Fox/Gail Kim, Smackdown got Finlay, Matt Hardy, and The Hart Dynasty, and ECW got The Bella Twins, Shelton Benjamin, Goldust, and William Regal- plus, Sheamus, Ezekiel Jackson, and Yoshi Tatsu got called up the next night.)  Put it in, you could argue that trade swung the World Title potential of about 5-7 people.

• Like 1

One smaller one I've always liked:

-What if the USA Network didn't force WWE to do a "second draft", leading to the 15-person 2009 trade? (The trade: Raw got Mark Henry/Jack Swagger/Evan Bourne/Alicia Fox/Gail Kim, Smackdown got Finlay, Matt Hardy, and The Hart Dynasty, and ECW got The Bella Twins, Shelton Benjamin, Goldust, and William Regal- plus, Sheamus, Ezekiel Jackson, and Yoshi Tatsu got called up the next night.) Put it in, you could argue that trade swung the World Title potential of about 5-7 people.

This is a story I've never heard before...any place I can find the details?

What if David Von Erich hadn't died and then won the NWA Title at The Parade of champions as originally planned?

Does he get a meaningful run or does he get the same 18 day run that Kerry did? Does World Class not break away from the NWA? Does David run World Class as planned and avoid working with Jerry Jarrett/Jerry Lawler and Verne Gagne?

James

• Like 1

What if DAvif Von Erich hadn't died and then won the NWA Title at The Parade of champions as originally planned?

Does he get a meaningful run or does he get the same 18 day run that Kerry did? Does World Class not break away from the NWA? Does DAvid run World Class as planned and avoid working with Jerry Jarrett/Jerry Lawler and Verne Gagne?

James

Also, does Mike get pushed so hard?  Does Mike still kill himself?  What about Chris?  With David around, can he help keep Kerry under control, so no motorcycle accident?  That could really change things.

Mike still gets pushed but it changes the 6 Man tag match at Parade of champions to Kerry/Kevin/Mike v. The Freebirds. Hell I never thought Mike was truly awful, just uncomfortable being thrust in the spotlight to fill the gap affecting his mental game. Mike could've been a pretty fun FiP in any number of tag matches.

James

I don't even think was properly trained, just shoved out there because of his name. World Class/USWA was desperate at that point and between severing ties to the NWA in 85 Vince's giant push the year before a lot of places Chris could've gone to get seasoning were cut off to him. I mean think of all the places he could've gone ot experience that died by the time he got in shape: Florida, Continental, Central States/Missouri, Mid South/UWF and Stampede were either dead or dying. David, Kerry and Kevin all had that benefit of working not just in Texas but other places that helped mold them into genuinely good wrestlers.

James

$T2eC16ZHJHgE9n0yG+pDBQ(psmYSCw~~60_12.J

I remember having a copy of this issue.  I'll have to dig in my closet and see if it's still there.

The speculation was that if the Von Erichs had all lived then World Class would never have gone under.  It might have stuck around for a bit longer with their star power but would have been absorbed by the NWA/WCW eventually.