DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling What Ifs

Web Conn

27 minutes ago, Matt D said:

It means they could have brought 94 Eddie Gilbert in as a wrestling bus driver or zookeeper something.

Or the Gobbledy Gooker's evil younger brother? Channeling evil Doink (who himself, at that point was like a whole another person) and future Xanta Claus!

On 10/27/2020 at 2:20 AM, Shartnado said:

I may be wrong, but I always thought that Lex started going out with Liz after his marriage went to the shitter after the Sting disclosure that's being discussed.

Lex was back with his wife when Elizabeth died.  Apparently, they separated but the wife gave him a second chance on the condition that he stay away from Elizabeth.  The wife found out from the news reports of Liz's death that Lex was back with Liz and that's when she filed for divorce.

I just watched the Savage-Elizabeth episode of Dark Side of the Ring last night. In the ep, Linda Hogan said that, when they first got together, Lex put Liz up in a townhouse (apartment?) in the same complex he and his wife were living in.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Matt D said:

It means they could have brought 94 Eddie Gilbert in as a wrestling bus driver or zookeeper something.

"Hotstuff" Eddie Gilbert would have absolutely been an Evil Chef

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

actually, upon further reflection, without the fireball (because there's NO WAY that survives the jump to the "New Generation") I think Gilbert probably goes the same route as the Bushwackers and becoming a sanitized babyface.

If Gilbert lives to see the Attitude Era, on the other hand...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BobbyWhioux said:

actually, upon further reflection, without the fireball (because there's NO WAY that survives the jump to the "New Generation") I think Gilbert probably goes the same route as the Bushwackers and becoming a sanitized babyface.

If Gilbert lives to see the Attitude Era, on the other hand...

I could see Gilbert having the dreaded "solid hand" tag in mid-90's WWF, but no way is he sniffing main event, and MAYBE an opening match on an In Your House type PPV putting over someone that the office has genuine plans for.

As a heel, he would be in that Skip/Rad Radford realm.

As a face, he'd be in the "Aldo Montoya/Bob Holly/tag team partner of the 1-2-3 Kid but taking the pin" circle.

If he was still alive in 96 I could see him being brought in as part of that wave that brought Tracy Smothers, Tony Anthony, and Bill Irwin into the fold of being given some sort of gimmick, winning his first TV match over a jobber, and then immediately back to putting people over.

And as you said, given how bad the drug scene was in mid-90s WWF, he might have been a casualty there anyway.

I also can't imagine him not running afoul of the Kliq at some point either. If he had as much trouble as he did navigating the politics of JCP and 89/90 WCW, I can't imagine he would have fared too well the first time he butted heads with Shawn and Kevin.

• Like 2

I saw this on WrestlingClassics and thought this would be a good What If. 

What if Hulk Hogan went to the NWA after the AWA? 

Imagine Hulk vs Nikita in 84/85. Hulk vs The Horsemen. 

I think another What If that might make this alternate reality even more juicy is what if Vince Sr picked Dusty instead of Backlund? Dusty stays in the north east and doesn't become a power broker/booker in Florida and doesn't go get the book in JCP in 85.

Things that make you go hmmmm

Well, first thought is, Hogan vs Flair is now the classic recurring title bout while Flair vs Dusty becomes the impossible Dream Match we salivate at finally seeing in 1992 WWF.

And maybe with Dusty being a little older and considering actual retirement (not just Hogan’s faux retirement) we actually get the bout and with Dusty putting Flair over at WM8 and Flair’s WWF run doing better overall (?) at the cost of the Savage feud being delayed and Bret’s ascension being even further deferred (maybe even cancelled entirely)

Dustin and Cody have very different WWE experiences, too, if Dusty is the beloved WWF lifer with the combined Backlund/Hogan legacy instead of the rival’s mvp Vince finally poached and polkadotted

52 minutes ago, The Great ML said:

Hogan was going to New York no matter what...even if he didn’t go in 84...if and when he got hot anywhere else, McMahon would be calling.

Yeah...but this is a what if? thread...so play along lol.

If Dusty gets the Backlund run and Hogan goes to the NWA after his AWA run, who are the best candidates for Hogan's 84 run? 

12 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Is this presuming Dusty has a six year run as champ? That seems stretching the premise. ? 

maybe Vince Sr puts the belt on the Sheik in 79 or 80 at the height of the hostage crisis. Or a Russian during the Olympic boycott. 

The premise of Dusty being the WWWF champ in 77 is that he doesn't develop the political stroke that carries him to be JCP booker in 85 or whenever he came in. Maybe not having the straight reign Backlund did but giving a Stan Hansen or Ken Patera or Greg Valentine etc runs so Dusty could chase.

Well, if Dusty got the Backlund run then there wouldn’t be an unfulfilled Flair/Dusty dream match, because he would have wrestled Flair in the title vs. title match at the July 4 ‘82 show in the Omni, like Backlund did...

Man, this whole alternate timeline is crazy, because then Hogan wrestles Dusty several times for the title in his early heel run, and then maybe doesn’t take the movie offer, goes to Mid-Atlantic/Crockett as McMahon asked him to, wrestles Flair in 1981 before heading to Florida and headlining there against Kevin Sullivan?

Edited by Hamhock