DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling What Ifs

Web Conn

13 hours ago, AxB said:

Realistically, Marty gets suspended during the Speaking Out movement and most likely the Dark Order angle gets dropped at that time.

I read this thread backwards and was wondering if the original question was what if Marty Janetty was the Exalted One. 

• Haha 7

34 minutes ago, Loki said:

I read this thread backwards and was wondering if the original question was what if Marty Janetty was the Exalted One. 

Oh my... That would probably have  been the first time he made the Dark Order dissappear! (BTW, he's apparently been saying all that talk was for a wrestling angle, so again he's going with "it wasn't me"/"just kidding "-defense ).

16 hours ago, AxB said:

What if Vince responds to the launch of World of Sport 2018 with a complete Meh and the WWE UK tournament/ NXT-UK never happens?

WWE wouldn't have gotten Dunne, Bates, Imperium, Etc..

• 2 weeks later...

What if... when the Bladerunners split up, Hellwig went to Watts' UWF as Eddie Gilbert's muscle, and was then absorbed into the WCW roster and booked against Flair at Clash o'Champions 1. Meanwhile Borden went to Texas WCCW, and then moved on to the WWF and beat Honky Tonk Man to become IC Champion?

• 3 weeks later...

I was just running this feud on 2K19 and think it would’ve been amazing in WCW circa 92-93 if the accident hadn’t happened:

Ravishing Rick Rude v Magnum TA. It all starts with a Madusa face turn after  her feud with Heyman and TA coming to the rescue

• Like 3

On 9/28/2020 at 2:59 AM, AxB said:

What if... when the Bladerunners split up, Hellwig went to Watts' UWF as Eddie Gilbert's muscle, and was then absorbed into the WCW roster and booked against Flair at Clash o'Champions 1. Meanwhile Borden went to Texas WCCW, and then moved on to the WWF and beat Honky Tonk Man to become IC Champion?

It's hard to say, Watts didn't like Hellwig, but he liked Sting. Sting would have stayed all muscled up instead of slimming down and wouldn't have become the worker he ended up being. And I don't think he'd have become the Ultimate Warrior as that was largely based on Hellwig's Dingo Warrior character from WCCW. Maybe Fritz would have made Borden the Dingo Warrior instead of Hellwig. There's a lot of ifs or buts contained within the question. I do think Sting would have had more long term success and a lot more longevity in the WWF than Warrior did. But he would have developed into a totally different character and wrestler than he was in WCW in real life.

• Like 2

It probably would have been similar to Flair vs Nikita or Flair vs Hawk. Warrior would have developed a bit more as a worker in the NWA. But so much of Warriors act was specific to what the WWF was at that time, with the music, running to the ring and shaking the ropes etc, it's hard to imagine him in the NWA, particularly in the studio tapings they were still doing in 1988.

On 10/18/2020 at 2:49 PM, Rocco said:

I have to say I kinda wish there was a Flair-Warrior match from 88.  I don't know why but I want to see it.  

It's probably similar reason why I flipped out when I found out that there actually WAS a Tully-Warrior match from '89. Kinda like "let's see what he can get out of this one?" -type of deal.

• Like 1

What was Stinger like backstage in the late 80's? He seems like way too nice a guy to ever stand up to politics of Hogan or HBK.

If he got the Warrior push straight to the top I could maybe seeing him aligning with Bret and Taker against The Kliq in the mid 90's. This could push Shawn to WCW as well which would be a whole other can of worms.

Who stands against the nWo if Sting is gone? Page and Savage?  Who gets the Starrcade 97 rub? Goldberg? Hogan probably isn't the 3rd man here (it'd be HBK) so where does that leave him? Does his voice drown out the full power of The Kliq on those contracts?

Edited by L_W_P

42 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

Who stands against the nWo if Sting is gone? Page and Savage?  Who gets the Starrcade 97 rub? Goldberg? Hogan probably isn't the 3rd man here (it'd be HBK) so where does that leave him? Does his voice drown out the full power of The Kliq on those contracts?

I think you answered your own question there - if Sting's not involved, and Hogan's not the third man, he's the one getting all the rubs fighting the nWo.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I can't remember who said it, but somebody said Sting has a shitty attitude back when he was on top. 

It was Gary Hart. In his book he talked about Sting being a big time primadonna during his time in JCP 88-89. Beyond that, I haven't heard much negative talk about him backstage. In the early 90s observers, Dave Meltzer would constantly bring up Sting refusing to job to Terry Funk as an example whenever there was an issue of talent in WCW refusing to do a job. But the majority of his peers from WCW and TNA speak highly of him so he might have chilled out after that period. 

Edited by evidence
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, kafkonia said:

I think you answered your own question there - if Sting's not involved, and Hogan's not the third man, he's the one getting all the rubs fighting the nWo.

I'd be very interetsted to see how Bischoff handles The Kliq v Hogan backstage.

If Hogan stays in the Red & Yellow I could see him being retired or going back to Vince pretty quickly.

10 hours ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

Mr. Sting also revealed a couple of the boys extra-marital doings upon his conversion to Xianity whilst wiping his own slate clean (supposedly). That is not a good form of lockerroom etiquette. I, for one, would never buy a house from that man.

- RAF

Yeah didn't he throw Lex under the bus? 

I think of 'what if that guardrail didn't fall on Stevie Richards' neck?'

Richards was in the midst of the bWo gimmick which was, by far, the greatest selling t-shirt in ECW history.  He has started to develop a persona of the wrestling nerd fan who actually became a wrestler after all of the things he did for Raven, he was just shat upon by Raven and now he was breaking out of Raven's shadow.  This was just before it became popular to be a 'nerd.'

Instead he gets badly injured, signs with WCW and goes back to his role of Raven's lackey and it effectively kills his career.

Had that not happened, perhaps he stays with ECW and becomes a major babyface.  The promotion likely goes belly up, but maybe it lasts a few more years and maybe with WCW being bought out, it's looked as the only alternative to WWE and somehow gets more funding to keep the promotion alive.  Or perhaps he's such an over babyface with ECW that when the promotion folds he gets a top quality position with either WCW or WWE. He turned into a very good worker and he was really good on the mic, but his mic work suffered when his vocal chords were damaged from the injury.  

HoC

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Hustler of Culture said:

I think of 'what if that guardrail didn't fall on Stevie Richards' neck?'

i'm a big Stevie Richards mark. hell, i even liked his short run in WCW where he did essentially zero but was entertaining. His rise in ECW, from absolute nobody to semi-main eventing their first PPV, is fascinating.

But to think that maybe ECW doesn't go out of business is just wishful thinking. Stevie would've still jumped to WCW, where his role wouldn't have been all that different (maybe a longer run, maybe a bit higher on the card, but he was never getting anywhere near the US title, let alone a main event spot). WWE had him under contract for years, and it wasn't until they relegated him to a third-tier show (Stevie Night Heat) that he was able to show off any sort of personality. And that got him no more notoriety than anything else. the Big 2 just didn't see anything in him. A damn shame, but not a sport changing miss either.