DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night 36: Machida vs. Mousasi (2/15/2014) - Jaraguá do Sul, Santa Catarina, Brazil (Arena Jaraguá)

Elsalvajeloco

Fight-Night-36-poster-FULL.png

UFC Fight Night 36: Machida vs. Mousasi

February 15, 2014

Jaraguá do Sul, Santa Catarina, Brazil (Arena Jaraguá)

Lyoto Machida (185) vs. Gegard Mousasi (186) - Machida, DEC (unanimous)

Ronaldo Souza (185) vs. Francis Carmont (185) - Souza, DEC (unanimous)

Erick Silva (170) vs. Takenori Sato (170) - Silva, KO (punches), R1 (0:52)

Viscardi Andrade (170) vs. Nicholas Musoke (170) - Musoke, DEC (unanimous)

Charles Oliveira (143) vs. Andy Ogle (146) - Oliveira, SUB (triangle choke), R3 (2:40)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:

Cristiano Marcello (156) vs. Joe Proctor (155) - Proctor, DEC (unanimous)

Rodrigo Damm (156) vs. Ivan Jorge (156) - Damm, DEC (unanimous)

Francisco Trinaldo (155) vs. Jesse Ronson (156) - Trinaldo, DEC (split)

Iuri Alcântara (136) vs. Wilson Reis (135) - Alcântara, DEC (split)

Felipe Arantes (146) vs. Maximo Blanco (145)* - Arantes, DEC (unanimous)

Ildemar Alcântara (171) vs. Albert Tumenov (170) - Alcântara, DEC (split)

Douglas Silva de Andrade (145) vs. Zubair Tuhugov (146) - Tuhugov, DEC (unanimous)

*Weighed in at 147.9 on first attempt

Event Bonuses ($50,000):

Performance of the Night: Charles Oliveira

Performance of the Night: Erick Silva

Fight of the Night: Lyoto Machida vs. Gegard Mousasi

Attendance: 7,511

Rating: 1.4 million viewers

Cancelled Bouts:

Thiago Tavares vs. Zubair Tuhugov - Injury to Tavares

Erick Silva vs. Nate Loughran - Injury to Loughran

No all events that are in the eastern hemisphere will be on Fight Pass.  Events in Brazil and Canada use the same time zones as the USA so they don't have to worry about the event being tape delayed or filmed in a weird time in the foreign country to fit into the right time slot for the American audience.

Brazil is actually three hours ahead of EST. That's why you had the whole noise ordinance problem. There is a certain decibel level permitted between 10 p.m. to 8 a.m. UFC events in Brazil end at 2:30 a.m.

I know it's probably because they have other programming on FS1 during this time of year, but the UFC should have been putting more live fights on Fight Pass like this card. It's weird as hell putting just one or two on there per card during the trial period. That's been my biggest gripe with it so far. By the time I actually sign in, get redirected to the front page, and then go to the live event page, the one fight is already at the end of round one if not over already.

The thing with FS1 is that even though we all rag on their lack of viewers, the UFC still pulls in solid enough numbers in comparison to everything else. Last week, with FS1 hyping up the shit out of the Super Bowl and its coverage all week, the top program was...the UFC 168 prelims. Even that shitass UFN card last month from Georgia outdrew everything else on the network that week, and the prelims finished in the top ten. The UFC is in kind of a tough position - if they didn't add more shows, they'd either be screwing over Fox or Fight Pass. So....add more shows, attempt to appease their corporate overloads and their personal wallets, and hope for the best.

Really looking forward to this. The Top 3 fights especially. Probably won't watch the prelims.

Sato gonna be repping the KOP.

Also there's some good looking prelims; Damm/Batman, Alcantara/Reis, Arantes/Maxi, Marajo/Tumenov, D'Silva/Tuhugov.

Pretty good card overall.

The thing with FS1 is that even though we all rag on their lack of viewers, the UFC still pulls in solid enough numbers in comparison to everything else. Last week, with FS1 hyping up the shit out of the Super Bowl and its coverage all week, the top program was...the UFC 168 prelims. Even that shitass UFN card last month from Georgia outdrew everything else on the network that week, and the prelims finished in the top ten. The UFC is in kind of a tough position - if they didn't add more shows, they'd either be screwing over Fox or Fight Pass. So....add more shows, attempt to appease their corporate overloads and their personal wallets, and hope for the best.

Pretty much. Both the UFC and WWE wanted their own networks and had to settle for the online route. However, WWE took a more drastic measure by undercutting their PPV distributors. The UFC has the inverse of the WWE problem. FS1 would be the UFC network if they didn't have the rights to college basketball and football.

• Like 1

I kind of wish when FuelTV and Speed retooled that they would've done it slightly different.  Do Fox Sports 1 basically how it is now but without UFC airing on it then do do Fox Fight Network instead of FS2 with all of their UFC content and airing of TUF seasons.  Maybe you could throw in some boxing also to fill some of the air time.

I kind of wish when FuelTV and Speed retooled that they would've done it slightly different.  Do Fox Sports 1 basically how it is now but without UFC airing on it then do do Fox Fight Network instead of FS2 with all of their UFC content and airing of TUF seasons.  Maybe you could throw in some boxing also to fill some of the air time.

The problem is you need a stopgap. The reason why Golden Boy is able to do boxing shows on FS1 now is because they don't do any GBP events on Friday Night Fights. They stopped doing Solo Boxeo and UStream cards too. Showtime doesn't really do as many ShoBox cards. They were also banned from HBO. 75%-90% of the boxing events on Showtime and Showtime Extreme are Golden Boy/Mayweather Promotions fights. Showtime's budget is only so big. Thus, you can have events on FS1 that don't do any ratings. The only successful boxing show on FS1 was the Ortiz fight a couple weeks ago. Both GBP and Zuffa want to televise their content to biggest audience possible. Right now, FS2 isn't an option for live events.

The thing with FS1 is that even though we all rag on their lack of viewers, the UFC still pulls in solid enough numbers in comparison to everything else

That's because nobody watches that network.  People that watch UFC shows on FS1 only tune into FS1 to watch UFC shows.  They don't attract viewers by airing UFC events and then keep them by exposing them to other programming.  Their programming sucks.   

It's also that ESPN plus the individual league networks give so much better coverage of the main sports that FS1 would have to increase their quality by 5 times to just equal them and even then people would still watch ESPN first because of it having better name value.

If anyone needed that Thursday slate of NFL games, it was Fox Sports 1 for visibility reasons. People (including myself) were watching some of the lame games from this past season. I can't imagine the boost it would give the UFC to have their shows advertised for those weeks instead of just seasonal Fox shows. TUF is another story though.

Not to mention that this is such a dead-ass time for sports that Fox (and any other content providers) would be begging for as many live events as they can get.

I am not sure when the actual prelims are but we are in the heat of college basketball season.  I would think Fox sports 1 would rather have a Big East game on.

They at least decided to sync their UFC TV app with Fight Pass so at least their are more options besides sitting near your computer.   Their ROKU channel is still the old version so hopefully they do update that

If anyone needed that Thursday slate of NFL games, it was Fox Sports 1 for visibility reasons. People (including myself) were watching some of the lame games from this past season. I can't imagine the boost it would give the UFC to have their shows advertised for those weeks instead of just seasonal Fox shows. TUF is another story though.

Oh yeah, Fox and NBC would have killed babies in cold blood to get that package on cable. But, NFL wanted it on network, and they both balked.

Following a horrible dunk contest, I followed it up with a brutal UFC card. Mousasi vs. Machida wasn't horrible, but it sure didn't make the rest of the card any better. Why'd I decide to stay home tonight?  

• Like 1