DVDVR Message Board

Name The Big Men Better Than Mark Henry

I thought Henry was fantastic on Raw Monday w/ his mic-spot. It was so great in its simplicity. He came off looking humble but far from weak. His "He'd make you all tap out, too" line said it all so succinctly -- Cena's really great and there's no shame in losing to him, although he wouldn't be able to a second time.

Someone other than me should mention Hashimoto. I don't know nearly enough. Would he be worth talking about? Does he count? Etc?

I don't think he counts but if he did he's be in the better category. He was just under 300 pounds though he looked bigger because he wasn't very tall and while he used his size as a weapon (double stomps, sentons, elbow drops) he wasn't the kind of big fat monster that anybody other than juniors would struggle to bodyslam. While he isn't the height of big men in the vein of Hansen or Gordy I'd say he worked more like them.

(Cultural stereotype question on)

Do Japanese and Mexican wrestlers need to not be as "big" as American/Canadian wrestlers to qualify, given their average person from their country is smaller?

(Cultural stereotype question off)

Or the purposes of this conversation, does Meng/Haku belong in the mix? By the time he shows up in WCW in '93 or '94, he's a real big dude and quite the asskicker.

Check out the first post in the thread.

For the purposes of this thread I'm talking about guys who would have had matches with Hulk Hogan or John Cena built around whether or not they could be body slammed.

(Cultural stereotype question on)Do Japanese and Mexican wrestlers need to not be as "big" as American/Canadian wrestlers to qualify, given their average person from their country is smaller?(Cultural stereotype question off)

I think we need a chart comparing the average size to that of the wrestler in question. Color coded. Chop chop.

I wanna say Otto Wanz because there's a pretty great, bloody, Bodyslam challenge match of his against Vader (as Bull Power) from 1986 or so. But I don't think he's ever really worked as a heel and that is essential to Henry's game, and to the whole "big dude you can't pick up" thing. Henry at his best is damn near unbeatable. Cannonball Grizzly also comes to mind but I haven't seen much and it seems he was kind of a joke early in his career (PN News). Some of his veteran matches have been pretty badass though.

I found a size comparison chart that I think applies.

Posted Image

A guy like Luke Gallows would be like Jetfire sized. I think we're talking about guys like Vader, who is probably around a Broadside, and on up to the Predaking sized Big Shows.

• Like 2

I don't know if this is actually a strike against him or just a bizarre prejudice, but Henry I feel comes across way less intimidating in battle royales than Show and Andre. I always felt that was a major calling card of the super heavy.

How the hell is Sky Lynx bigger than Fortress Maximus? That chart sucks...

Seriously.  Broadside's size was really inconsistent (his action figure was the same size as the other triple changers, but in the show it fluctuated all the time), but Fortress Maximus and Scorpinok were the two biggest transformers there were, next to Unicron.

• Like 1

A name that's come up a bit that I admit I haven't watched enough of to say conclusively is One Man Gang. I really enjoyed his work on the Mid South & Texas 80s sets but that's a combined ten or so matches? He's always struck me as a guy that does the best possible job with the spot he's given, but rarely transcends that opportunity to make himself into an even bigger star. Outside of his matches on those two sets, what's some of OMG's best work? How long was his peak?

In my opinion...

Better than Henry: Andre, Big Show, Vader

At least equal to, but possibly better than Henry: John Tenta, Bam Bam Bigelow, Crusher Blackwell, Big Bossman, Yokozuna

Slightly below Henry: One Man Gang, Kamala, Abdullah The Butcher, Big John Studd, Scott Norton

Good but not top 10 level: Viscera, King Kong Bundy

I drop Yoko to the second level mainly because his run of being really good wasn't that long compared to Andre, Show and Vader. For a few years though, Yoko was the shit.

One Man Gang, Kamala, Abby, Studd I rank below him simply because I felt like a lot of their stuff towards the end of their careers tailed off or they just don't have as many epic matches as Andre, Show and Vader. I really haven't seen much of Norton's work outside the US so I don't want to rank him too high.

Vis and Bundy were both good but like I said I just can't see either of them making a top 10 list of big men.

(Cultural stereotype question on)Do Japanese and Mexican wrestlers need to not be as "big" as American/Canadian wrestlers to qualify, given their average person from their country is smaller?(Cultural stereotype question off)

He may be shorter than most of the guys in question but i would lump Super Porky into this category because of how he is presented. His size is his main weapon and he is near impossible to bodyslam. The only reason I think Hashimoto doesn't count is that despite not being as tall as Hansen, Gordy, or Windham he works more like them.The way I'm seeing it now these are the only applicable guys better than Henry:VaderSuper PorkyJerry BlackwellAndre is a big maybe. If I watched more of Andre's 70s output I'd be more comfortable weighing in.

I haven't seen a ton of joshi, are/were there any girls over in Japan that would qualify as a Vader/Yoko/Henry type? Granted, they wouldn't be a "Big Man" but would Aja Kong or Monster Ripper be elligible? Kharma, even?