DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2014 - Spring Training!

Dolfan in NYC

I said something about Jeter being so overrated that he's underrated. Yeah, never mind. He's a step away from beatification at this point in time.

I eagerly await Rippa hitting me with a link to a tshirt of Jeter on a cross made of baseball bats.

(Wait, seriously, fuck that.  I need to market that idea.)

And then him swearing about the stupidity of his fellow fans.

God, this season is going to be so totally fucking awesome.

$16 million.They're going to have their largest payroll ever, and will still lose 90 games.

And this is why I wish Dolfan hadn't cornered the market on cute animal gifs.

Someone remind me why I even bother with professional sports.

Well one bit of good Ms news. They've apparently come to their senses and have put talks with Nelson Cruz "on hold" because the 2 sides are far apart on money.

Well they did sign Randy wolfe. . . 

To a minor league deal. Though if they can't get any other starters via free agency or trade Wolfe may make the team out of camp as long as he doesn't completely implode. Iwakuma and Walker are both hurting right now, and Iwakuma is going to miss the bulk of spring training (so you can probably count him out for the first month of the season too). 

Love the three Braves signings this year.  I am resigned to the fact we are losing Kimbrel in the next couple years which I don't have a real issue with (since most closers fall of a cliff suddenly and generally aren't worth long term deals worth 9+ mil a year), but the deals they did do all seem smart.  

• Like 1

Ryan Dempster has decided to not pitch in 2014 due to injuries and a desire to spend more time with his family.

Assuming the Red Sox put him on the restricted list - they will free up $13.25 million this year

Some posistion players I'll be keeping an eye on this spring.

Mark Teixeira - Wrist injuries and power hitters is a bad combo. If he's able to do say 260/30/100 I don't see how the Yankees don't win the East.

Xander Bogarts - Just how good is this kid?

Jose Bautista - See Tex. I'd say 50 homer seasons are done here but can he hit 30?

Jose Abreu - What kind of hitter is this guy? If the power is what they say he could hit a lot of homers in that ballpark.

Albert Pujols - Is he over the hill? I have this crazy feeling he's got at least one more big season in him.

Giancarlo Stanton - Gotta believe every game is an audition for the rest of the league.

Ryan Braun - How real were those #'s? How does he deal with the shit he's gonna get?

Starlin Castro - Will playing for a Latin manager spark something in him? He better figure it out quick because he's got replacements coming up quickly.

Oscar Tavares - Does he make the Cards out of Spring Training? Kind of a log jam there.

Yasiel Puig - Late last season pitchers clearly started to figure him out. Can he make the adjustments to the pitching?

Some posistion players I'll be keeping an eye on this spring.

Mark Teixeira - Wrist injuries and power hitters is a bad combo. If he's able to do say 260/30/100 I don't see how the Yankees don't win the East.

Xander Bogarts - Just how good is this kid?

Jose Bautista - See Tex. I'd say 50 homer seasons are done here but can he hit 30?

Jose Abreu - What kind of hitter is this guy? If the power is what they say he could hit a lot of homers in that ballpark.

Albert Pujols - Is he over the hill? I have this crazy feeling he's got at least one more big season in him.

Giancarlo Stanton - Gotta believe every game is an audition for the rest of the league.

Ryan Braun - How real were those #'s? How does he deal with the shit he's gonna get?

Starlin Castro - Will playing for a Latin manager spark something in him? He better figure it out quick because he's got replacements coming up quickly.

Oscar Tavares - Does he make the Cards out of Spring Training? Kind of a log jam there.

Yasiel Puig - Late last season pitchers clearly started to figure him out. Can he make the adjustments to the pitching?

The Yankees can lose the division because their starting pitching is terrible. Sabathia and Kuroda stunk at the end of last year, Tanaka is the great unknown, Nova can't go deep into games, and Pineda's shoulder is held together with rubber bands and bubble gum. Oh, and they plan on starting Kelly Johnson, the corpse of Derek Jeter, and Brian Roberts in the infield - at least until a gust of wind snaps something on Roberts.

No chance Taveras starts 2014 in the majors. He's only 21 and missed a good 2/3 of last year. The Cardinals have so much OF depth that it would take multiple injuries for him to get called up as opposed to just one.

Pitchers started to figure out Puig, and he still hit .214/.333/.452 in September with a double digit walk rate. I wouldn't be surprised if he went 30/30 this year.

I full agree with you on Abreu and Bogaerts - oh man, they're going to be fun to watch. Won't be seeing Bogaerts this spring, but I *will* be seeing Abreu in Arizona. ZiPS has him at .273/.364/.494 with 26 bombs - that's delicious.

What do I want to see in 2014?

-A full year of Gerrit Cole in the majors.

-The progression of Andrelton SImmons' offense - if he's even an average hitter, I don't even want to know how valuable he'll be, given that defense.

-How long it takes things in Seattle to turn into a complete shit show.

-Whether or not Chris Davis comes back to earth and hits "only" 35 homers

Starlin hit rock bottom last year so it will be nearly impossible for him to have a worse season. We'll see how well he does, though. I'm more interested in his performance at SS than I am with him at the plate. It isn't out of the question that he gets traded, especially if he doesn't drastically improve and in Baez continues to rake.

Starlin and Jose Altuve ran into the same situation last year - everything went wrong. You can handle a drop in batting average, like from 2011 to 2012. You can handle a drop in walk rate and a huge jump in strikeout rate. You can handle him simply not being good at all on the basepaths. You can handle him simply hitting balls in shitty places and not being able to pull triples out of his ass. You CANNOT handle all of that happening at once.

Luckily for the Cubs, replacement level at short is in the tank right now, and even if he's just a two-win guy from here on out, Castro won't be a drastic overpay at the 6/55 remaining on his deal.