DVDVR Message Board

Colt Cabana's Art of Wrestling Podcast

Web Conn

There's still "sports" in sports entertainment. Every power structure in sports puts pressure on athletes to perform with injuries. No one wants to be Wally Pipp.

But wrestling should be able to avoid that problem, due to the entertainment part. If someone's banged up, there are ways to write them off the show and write them back in later on. There shouldn't be a problem at all. But injuries are a "divide-and-conquer" thing promoters use to their advantage.

These dudes need a union.

• Like 1

Another thing that boggles my mind are how guys rely on merch sales for supplemental income. If you're going to be a heel, your job is to become hated by the fans. Why the hell would anyone ever want to lose that opportunity? There's no incentive to wanting to play a heel in the right away, other than not wanting to lose your job.

Also, all that Cena merchandise is sold because he has great foils. Faces get over because they have great villains to play with. Shouldn't they get a cut of that?

Finally got around to listening to this, and honestly, I think Punk came off very well. Most of his complaints were valid, the only thing that I didn't think was on point was the whole Ryback intentionally trying to hurt him. I just don't understand what the motivation for him to do that would be, and Punk didn't present any evidence to support that claim. He might be a big clumsy oaf, that seems to be more the legitimate reason for the things that happened where Punk was injured. I went into this neither loving or hating Punk but came out of it happy for him that he is in a good place now and happy with his life.

Another thing that boggles my mind are how guys rely on merch sales for supplemental income. If you're going to be a heel, your job is to become hated by the fans. Why the hell would anyone ever want to lose that opportunity? There's no incentive to wanting to play a heel in the right away, other than not wanting to lose your job.

Also, all that Cena merchandise is sold because he has great foils. Faces get over because they have great villains to play with. Shouldn't they get a cut of that?

There were times in the old days when babyfaces would give the heels a cut of their merch money. Pretty sure it happened with RnR and either the MX or the Bodies in SMW.

There were times in the old days when babyfaces would give the heels a cut of their merch money. Pretty sure it happened with RnR and either the MX or the Bodies in SMW.

First pro wrestler's union President Ricky Morton it is!

• Like 3

The more I think about it today the more it explains all of the tweener characters.  Nobody want to be listed as a heel so they make the character out to be a tweener character hoping to save face with merchandise sales.

I don't imagine they'll say a damn thing on the air, (they're fools if they do,) but the tougher test will be Vince on Austin's podcast. Does Austin stay away from the topic, and does he look like Vince's lackey if he does?

If Austin doesn't stay away, does Vince cut loose, or does he clam up for the good of the company, (he could probably get away with a "there's legal issues there that can't be discussed so I'm afraid I just can't say anything about that," without too much pushback from Austin,) even thought it will probably piss him off to have to wuss out like that?

if they do anything, it'll involve some random dude just not showing up after a week, then releasing comments about leaving. Leading that person to be a surrogate for Punk.

Maybe have it be someone like JBL who just doesn't show up one week or disappears after a segment and "quits". And blames the travel schedule and Cole/Lawler

This is hilarious, I still can't get the episode on iTunes and Cabana's site is SLOOOOW AS FUUUUCK. I only made it through 5 minutes of the podcast last night on YouTube before my own internet went slow and then died. Gonna try again now. I already know the details, but I want to hear it anyway.

I said it elsewhere on the web, but - While I'm not too bothered Punk likely won't be on WWE TV ever again, it breaks my goddamn heart that he's lost his passion for wrestling.

I said it elsewhere on the web, but - While I'm not too bothered Punk likely won't be on WWE TV ever again, it breaks my goddamn heart that he's lost his passion for wrestling.

Why on Earth do you care enough to have a broken heart?

• Like 1

Him shit-talking Triple H was great because you just KNOW no one has spoken like that to Triple H in years.

It may also guarantee he truly is never coming back.

Triple H is petty. We know this. He will be 90 and still pissed at CM Punk for suggesting he was too lowly for him to wrestle at WM. Vince can forget a slight for the sake of business; he can't.

He forgave the Outlaws, who said way worse things about him than Punk did. If Punk wants to come back he will.

Him shit-talking Triple H was great because you just KNOW no one has spoken like that to Triple H in years.

It may also guarantee he truly is never coming back.

Triple H is petty. We know this. He will be 90 and still pissed at CM Punk for suggesting he was too lowly for him to wrestle at WM. Vince can forget a slight for the sake of business; he can't.

He forgave the Outlaws, who said way worse things about him than Punk did. If Punk wants to come back he will.

Presumably the Outlaws apologized. I don't see Punk ever doing that.