DVDVR Message Board

Colt Cabana's Art of Wrestling Podcast

Web Conn

Punk saying HHH always looked at him sideways is believable to me. Much like Vince, HHH seems to have his "type" of wrestler he likes

What "type" does HHH like? Because from what I've seen he groomed Batista, likes all the guys who were in The Shield, signed Sin Cara, likes all of the Wyatts and has signed a ton of super indy performers. What do all of these people have in common?

As far as AJ holding her own.. I have no idea what she would do outside of wrestling. I'm sure she could find something to do but what, I don't know.

Re: the podcast

Punk seems like a straight shooter but comes off carny sometimes by worrying about the outcome of fake matches. In a WWE where wins and loses already don't mean anything, him losing to Rock, Taker, and Lesnar would not have hurt him at all because WWE would have sent him out there to kick the asses of everyone else on the roster (beating Cena, Orton, Ryback, and anyone else who was even slightly over) to quickly 'erase' those loses and have the fans forget. I also believe that matches against guys like Rock, Taker, Lesnar, HHH, etc. all exist in a vacuum. No one is going to think Ziggler, Punk, Henry, or anyone sucks dick because they didn't beat these guys. People are going to take it as a one-off encounter and nothing more. Rock beat Punk. Cool moment. Cool match. Glad I got to see it. NEXT~! The matches with the part-times exist outside the regular narrative and might as well happen in an alternative timeline that has no real impact on what's really going on in WWE because more-often-than-not...it doesn't.

So its okay for us the bitch about booking and match outcomes but he is a mark for voicing his opinion on the long term use of his future. Austin always encouraging guys to speak up and get noticed. WWE doesnt seem to invest in guys that arent on Cena level, On a creative level every thing Punk spoke up about Ive been seeing people here bitch about. Punk seems to really want to get other guys over too.

That Doc was just on Jericho's show & Punk buried the fuck out of him. I want Del Rio on Colts podcast now he isnt much of a WWE sympathizer either as wel as Richardo Rodriguez ,

Multiple time heavyweight/world champion, multiple time tag champion, IC champion, ECW champion, Money In The Bank Winner, one of the matches of The Streak, one of the rare indy guys who had a deal to keep his name, given a lot more leeway than most guys on promos (including a major promo on live TV where he was allowed to shoot on the company), given a variety of merchandise, always featured on PPVs while active even if he wasn't in the main, made enough money to buy a house for himself free and clear as well as Joey Mercury as well as enough money to have a few million socked away while attending sporting events he loves and given enough mainstream exposure that he gets gigs like writing comics and appearing on Talking Dead, etc..................those are off the top of my head. 

So yeah, WWE just never invested in the poor little fella, did they?  It's a shame he wasn't more successful.  Hope I don't get punched in the throat by the poor angry disgruntled millionaire with the nice home, hot wife, legions of fans, and legacy in the largest wrestling company on the planet. 

• Like 3

Things that keep normal people awake at night:

-fear of death

-fear of illness

-world hunger

Things that keep CM Punk awake at night:

-Not main eventing WrestleMania.

Jesus, dude. Grow the fuck up. It's a fake fighting pay-per-view. It was a decent interview with some good one-liners ("WWE Studios movies are as lame as fuck!") but his narcissism is over-bearing at points. It always had to be about him and it was always someone else's fault.

• Like 2

I've said it before and I'll say it again:Punk is the Livia Soprano of wrestling. Everyone is always out to get him and he is always a martyr.

That said, WWE firing him on his wedding day was classless as hell. I don't care if he's an annoying prick, that is just an awful way to behave.

Punk saying HHH always looked at him sideways is believable to me. Much like Vince, HHH seems to have his "type" of wrestler he likes

What "type" does HHH like? Because from what I've seen he groomed Batista, likes all the guys who were in The Shield, signed Sin Cara, likes all of the Wyatts and has signed a ton of super indy performers. What do all of these people have in common?

I'm not sure. Maybe he just doesn't vibe with Punk or I'm just being a Punk mark.

The WWE sent the following statement to Yahoo Sports:

“WWE takes the health and wellness of its talent very seriously and has a comprehensive Talent Wellness Program that is led by one of the most well-respected physicians in the country, Dr. Joseph Maroon." 

I am disappointed it was Dr. Vinnie Boombatz.

• Like 4

On a tangential note, is there any industry where people openly and publicly shit-talk their former employer(s) and co-workers more than wrestling?

There isn't, right?

I would love to do the same about some of my former (and current) bosses, but no one would give a fuck.

• Like 1

As far as AJ goes, she's not the first woman in wrestling to sacrifice a career for a man, she won't be the last.

I just hope they have a long and happy marriage. Otherwise she might feel very stupid in a few years.

Much like Lawler did when he came crawling back to WWE after the stuff with The Kat didn't work out.

As much as I would like to see AJ leave- I don't think its happening. I think its best for WWE to do a Bill Cosby and completely no sell the Punk interview as it relates to the booking of AJ. If all the Divas come out on Monday and beat her ass- CM Punk chants will erupt and everyone will know whats REALLY going on. It needs to be business as usual with her.

As far as AJ goes, she's not the first woman in wrestling to sacrifice a career for a man, she won't be the last.

I just hope they have a long and happy marriage. Otherwise she might feel very stupid in a few years.

Much like Lawler did when he came crawling back to WWE after the stuff with The Kat didn't work out.

That was what I thought of too.

Look, if Punk wants to vent? Fine. Fucking up your wife's career as well? Well, I don't know about that. Seems unwise.

I just hope WWE doesn't bury her/release her and then her marriage ends up fizzling out too. It would be kind of crappy for her and she'd be left with nothing essentially.

I think some of you are missing the point on the sponsorship trunks thing. The point he was making is he was offered something, told by the brass it wasn't something a wrestler was allowed to do then a short time later another wrestler had sponsors.

What really comes through in the interview is the belief that many of the top full time guys are getting taken advantage of because WWE is the only game in town.

Theyve created a situation where almost all of the roster is on a never ending hamsterbwheel. Because there are no other employers the wrestlers have minimal say in creative and no financial bargaining power.

Meanwhile the part timers (outside of Cena/Orton) are viewed as the only top guys and fill up the top of the cards on the biggest shows and take the top paydays.

Punks gripe seems to be that when given the ball he excelled over and over again. Yet no matter what he did they wouldn't treat him like a true top guy and wouldn't let him off the hamster wheel,

• Like 1

I like Punk and all but here are the facts:

The dude breached his contract,

Stop talking. Change the Otunga avatar cuz it's making you think you have legal knowledge you do not.

Seriously, if that was a fact, how on Earth do you think Punk WINS by lawyering up?

Either he did NOT breach his contract, (people have said the contractual requirement of talent is a certain number of appearances, and that with just months left and having been extremely active previously, Punk almost certainly met that number,) or WWE contracts are of such questionable legality that they can't even think about trying to hold anyone with two nickels to rub together to find a decent lawyer in breach, in which case, again, stop talking.

• Like 7

Look, I'm not saying he left due to the Mania thing at all.  I didn't say it, nor implied it. However, the fact it's even brought up in the interview at all(and multiple times, mind you) sheds some light on his past Miz jabs.

The Miz may not be the talker or wrestler Punk is, but at least he can take solace in the fact that 1) he main evented Wrestlemania 2) will not spend the remainder of his life bitching about how everyone in the world is out to get him.

Also the whole "sex with Maryse" thing.

The WWE sent the following statement to Yahoo Sports:

“WWE takes the health and wellness of its talent very seriously and has a comprehensive Talent Wellness Program that is led by one of the most well-respected physicians in the country, Dr. Joseph Maroon." 

I am disappointed it was Dr. Vinnie Boombatz.

Given the company's problems with drugs and drug testing, I would have bet money their sports medicine program was headed by Dr. IP Freely.

Finished the pocast a bit ago.  Fascinating stuff.