DVDVR Message Board

Design your dream game that will never, ever happen in real life...

Big Fresh

I want a Dynasty Warriors style hack-and-slash set during the Revolutionary or Civil War with gigantic, impossibly badass versions of figures from American history.

A team-based adventure RPG/survival game based on Moby Dick and finding/killing The White Whale.

I would love a small, but complete wrestling game. Give me an original roster of like 20 wrestlers (with a CAW that produces characters that actually look like the existing in-game models), an endless, open career mode, and small IWA Japan-style gym arenas where I can wrestle literally anywhere in the crowd and all over the gyms. Put in a lot of gimmick matches and up to 5vs5 elimination tags. It would be awesome. Hell, any game where I could have a good concession stand brawl tornado tag match in a small arena would be cool.

Something like Ark Survival meets GTA.

Hell, a Terminator 2 GTA-style game would be incredible.

A Whale Wars game would be a lot of fun. Maybe a Deadliest Catch game where you have to pick your crew and where to put your pots and the ship is a sort of sandbox while you're crabbing.

A Whale Wars game would be a lot of fun. 

You get bonus points for "accidentally" harpooning Green Peace protestors as they get in between your fishing boat and the whales.

Quick Time Events include having to hit the right button combinations to skin and gut the whale before your ship is overwhelmed by the same protestors.

I'd like a game that's a cross between Remember Me and GTA.

Essentially an open world Ghost in the Shell game where I could solve things by brute force or by jacking into people's cyber-brains an wreaking havoc that way.  And since we're in pie-in-the sky land here, how about multiple different factions to join that would impact the story-line and a plethora of different endings to up the replay factor.

So basically what I had hoped Remember Me was going to be, not the disappointing beat-em-up with a few cool ideas it was.

This is easy.

There's never been a good espionage game, so along those lines I'd love a game that recreates the look and feel of the old Mission Impossible tv series. You would play the role of the Handler and each level would begin with you receiving your brief before you then pick your team based on individual skills and plan how you're going to achieve the goal. Each level would be self-contained but lead to an overarching mystery. It would be a mix of Rainbow Six and Hitman with GTAV's character switch mechanic and it would be the best thing ever

Oh man, I was so excited for that game. Then I got maybe 30 mins in and had to quit.

But no, Hitman-esque gameplay and planning (stealth is preferable but not a must with a points scheme based on how covert you are) but with GTAV's team mechanic is how I invision it.

So, say, your tech expert character needs access to the Diplomat's office to bug his phone but can't get to the room as it's heavily guarded. So you have to use your master of disguise character to infiltrate the room first and disperse the guards to clear his way. Prior to that you maybe had to use your femme fatale character to seduct the diplomat so the master of disguise character can perfect his look. Each character is vital to the mission so switching between them is the only way to achieve mission success.

A shooter game with realistic gun/wound physics.  I'm playing Max Payne 3 last night and I shoot a guy with a .50 Desert Eagle and he staggers back and then keeps shooting at me.  In reality the guy should have been either dead, dying, or on the ground going into shock.  Under no circumstances should he be on his feet getting ready to take another shot at me.

I just want one game where the designers/directors did extensive research into firearms and wound physics and recognize that kevlar is completely useless against anything more powerful than a .40 S&W, kevlar is only good for one of two bullets and then the ceramic plates are shattered and completely useless, anything more powerful than a .357 Magnum is viewed as a "one-shot stopper" and the person getting shot will be too incapacitated to continue firing.  

A shooter game with realistic gun/wound physics.  I'm playing Max Payne 3 last night and I shoot a guy with a .50 Desert Eagle and he staggers back and then keeps shooting at me.  In reality the guy should have been either dead, dying, or on the ground going into shock.  Under no circumstances should he be on his feet getting ready to take another shot at me.

I just want one game where the designers/directors did extensive research into firearms and wound physics and recognize that kevlar is completely useless against anything more powerful than a .40 S&W, kevlar is only good for one of two bullets and then the ceramic plates are shattered and completely useless, anything more powerful than a .357 Magnum is viewed as a "one-shot stopper" and the person getting shot will be too incapacitated to continue firing.  

I get it, I hate bullet sponge enemies too, but does the player have to play by those same rules?  That doesn't sound fun at all.

• 4 weeks later...

So a bunch of youtubers were asked this question in real life. And they all got together and talked about it, and decided what they really really wanted was Hide and Seek online. With jumpscares.

• 1 year later...

A visual novel from Bioware where you play a newly hired middle management schlub in a giant corporation.

There would be no combat or RPG-style stuff, instead you would have to navigate your way through daily office politics, office romances, and corporate deal making and backstabbing.

You either work your way to the top or be framed as the fall guy in an embezzlement scheme.

This would be a game for those of us Bioware fans who complain about having to do all that tedious combat to get to the next dialogue tree.

• 4 weeks later...

Streets of Rage with Super-powers, but like power trees, so you evolve. Super jump level three is flight. Weapons level one is melee, and level two is projectiles, but combining Weapons with Energy Blast gives you lightsabres or explosive bullets. Super Strength makes you physically bigger. Higher levels of armour change your costume so you actually are armoured. Strength (or Energy Blast) + Speed gives you charge attacks, but Strength and Jump gives you Earthquake Stomp. And so on. Oh, and dead enemies don't despawn, so every level ends up full of huge corpse piles.

50 minutes ago, AxB said:

Streets of Rage with Super-powers, but like power trees, so you evolve. Super jump level three is flight. Weapons level one is melee, and level two is projectiles, but combining Weapons with Energy Blast gives you lightsabres or explosive bullets. Super Strength makes you physically bigger. Higher levels of armour change your costume so you actually are armoured. Strength (or Energy Blast) + Speed gives you charge attacks, but Strength and Jump gives you Earthquake Stomp. And so on. Oh, and dead enemies don't despawn, so every level ends up full of huge corpse piles.

The fact that Bethesda hasn't made an open world superhero RPG should be a crime.  A game the size of Skyrim or Fallout that is a superhero story would be dope.  

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2014 at 0:24 AM, Cliff Hanger said:

Bushido Blade 3.  Though I'd settle for 1 and 2 being reissued on PSN.

Kevin Wilson posting the trailer for Aragami and making me wistful about Tenchu reminded me how much I miss Bushido Blade.

Not sure why.

Remember after Jet Set Radio came out, and loads of games ripped off the cel-shaded look that made games look like full motion comic books? Probably just me, but I'd love it someone made a 2-D Beat 'Em Up where all the characters were Angels or Demons, and it was cel-shaded so the whole game looked like moving stained glass windows.

Design concept for your next Dead Space Style Game: An alien that if some kid teabags it after it dies, triggers a special rebirth code. Preferably something nasty with big teeth that groin chomps you totally out of the blue for your disrespect.

Internet would ruin it in a week but the reaction video of kids shitting themselves on Youtube would be completely worthwhile.

• 1 year later...

Most niche game idea ever, and I can't decide if it would be fun or get quickly frustrating, but me and Lariato were just fantasising about a World of Sport computer game on Twitter. 

Like the style itself it would be built around holds and counters and go at a slow pace. So imagine, like, you're trapped in a hold you have to point the direction button around until you're in the right place position to execute a counter, then a button prompt will come up so you push that. That's the first part of the counter. Then you've got to chain them together following that pattern or you end up back at square one. Similar principle when you're in control. Baggsy being Pat Roach