DVDVR Message Board

Design your dream game that will never, ever happen in real life...

Big Fresh

Fuck Mutant League Hockey, we need Mutant League Sports. Football, Basketball, Hockey, and everything else. Who are these people making downloadable games, and missing the boat on surefire hits like Mutant League sports, a Power Stone clone, and a Road Rage rip off. Why did I never learn how to program?

And ChuChu Rocket! Sega fucked up this generation by not putting enough Dreamcast games on PSN and XBL.

all i want is Mortal Kombat vs Street Fighter.

now, to be more nit-picky, i want MK2 vs SF2 (in all its various modes).

2 outfits per character (that way you can have Sub-Zero masked and unmasked, human and machine Smoke, etc.)

2d. cartoony but bloody.

and with secret characters. Guy and the Final Fight people for the SF team. Glacier and Mortis for the MK team.

What I want is a Way of the Samurai game, but on a massive sandbox scale.  I want there to be tons of factions to work for, I want every fighting style that existed and cool ones that never did.  I want the option to be anything from a wandering swordsman, to a bandit king, to a loyal vassal, and everything in between.  I want the game to last several generations, so that you can build a legendary family, and so that your relationships with NPCs have lasting impact.

• Like 2

this one is called "Survival of Oh Fuck This" and you can blame this on my biology class.

You play as a non-specific mammal. You have a shitty mutation. It sucks. Everyone laughs at it. The goal of this game is to out-propagate all fitter mates of your species until your species is totally ruined, because fuck those guys.

PHASE 1: Information collection. Your reluctant parents and siblings teach you about food sources, poisonous plants and predators. Your shitty mutation is random (one eye is a tusk, crab walking instead of quadripedal, butt ears, butt face, butt hands, things like this), but always mocked.

PHASE 2: God (Charles Darwin, naked, on a unicycle) visits you in a dream, and teaches you different lessons. He teaches you how to make traps, how to use poisonous plants to corrupt populated food sources, and how best to use your shitty mutation. Your mammal asks "why me." God unicycles away, windmilling his arms while making fart noises with his mouth.

PHASE 3: Mating season comes along. You must use your new-found knowledge and your shitty mutation to survive predators and challenges from competing mammals, and attempt to woo mates. The day starts with a counter of how many viable mates remain and .

PHASE 4: Under cover of nightfall you must disrupt the chances of survival for the rest of your species. Lead predators to sleeping mammals, poison water, piss on everything.

Phases 3 and 4 repeat until you reproduce.

PHASE 5: A litter is born! You have a brief amount of time to demonstrate as much of the knowledge you learned to your children as possible, before dying of exhaustion from working all night to fuck up the rest of your species. As you go to heaven, God allows you to grant one blessing to your children: either teach them one thing you did not get around to, or allow them to all randomly harbor a new mutation in their next generation. It will also be a shitty mutation.

PHASE 6: Repeat phases 3-5 until your entire region is overrun by your shitty kids. Hooray, you big jerk. The map pulls back and the ghost of the first mutant can explore nearby regions. You go into this region blind only to discover... other shitty mutant mammals! Worse yet, their predators have started adapting! A new region will have difficulty grades for how your shitty mutations compare with theirs, how their predators would fare against yours, and how hateful and frequent their traps are. Based on this, you can choose to migrate to this area or to give it a generation and see if the predators thin the herd a little bit. If you choose to migrate, the ghost possesses one of his children and gives him The Knowledge, and you begin to attempt to conquer this new area.

ENDGAME: After a number of generations (set before the game begins), a whistle blows. Your Legacy is determined by the amount of land your shitty mammals have overrun. Populate too little and your legacy is some dipshit survivalist with a bunch of cameras eats you, and that's how the world knows your name. In the distance, the fitter ones laugh. If you populate excessively, you get to watch the "ABC" scene from Glengarry Glen Ross, and your shitty mammal plays Alec Baldwin's role as he screams at all the other mammals you conquered.

My sleep deprived mind has came up with this: Jurrasic Park. You are a top nature photographer, and you have been given a once in a lifetime opportunity: a chance to photograph Dinosaurs. You are dropped off with onto Site B with the following objectives: photograph every Dinosaur on the island, do not kill any dinosaurs, and make it to a certain point on the map after 31 in game days for extraction.

But this is a Jurrasic Park game... of course shit goes wrong.

As soon as you step foot on the island, your supplies get over ran: you dropped directly into a Raptor nesting ground. The opening tutorial section all games have is you escaping the area. You manage to only recover two days worth of food, your camera equipment, and a canteen of water. Now we get to the main concept: You have to survive 31 days on this island, finding food, water, and shelter as you go. You lost your map of the island, so you have to find a new one before you can extract. You can, if you wishstill go for your objectives. The game auto saves every in game hour, except on hardcore difficulty, in which case you get only one life.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

My sleep deprived mind has came up with this: Jurrasic Park. You are a top nature photographer, and you have been given a once in a lifetime opportunity: a chance to photograph Dinosaurs. You are dropped off with onto Site B with the following objectives: photograph every Dinosaur on the island, do not kill any dinosaurs, and make it to a certain point on the map after 31 in game days for extraction.

But this is a Jurrasic Park game... of course shit goes wrong.

As soon as you step foot on the island, your supplies get over ran: you dropped directly into a Raptor nesting ground. The opening tutorial section all games have is you escaping the area. You manage to only recover two days worth of food, your camera equipment, and a canteen of water. Now we get to the main concept: You have to survive 31 days on this island, finding food, water, and shelter as you go. You lost your map of the island, so you have to find a new one before you can extract. You can, if you wishstill go for your objectives. The game auto saves every in game hour, except on hardcore difficulty, in which case you get only one life.

This is pretty good, but I'd still prefer a straight-up Muldoon simulator.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

A good superhero game which actually does a decent job of communicating what having that guy's powers might be like. Yeah we got the Arkham series and that's nice and all, but I'm still waiting for any game ever to actually make me feel like I'm really controlling Superman or hell, even Spider-man and can genuinely do everything they can do in the comics. Almost every superhero game tends to turn into a generic platformer or beat-em-up in which these superpowered god-like people suddenly seem barely more powerful than the hero of Double Dragon.

I already posted my Daredevil idea, so I guess I'll post the other thing I'd love: I want an online game that is basically Battle Royale. Every time you log in, your stats and whats in your pack is randomly generated, so you can end up being a hoss with a lighter and a frying pan and nothing else, or a total weakling but you have a sub machine gun. There will be an overall leaderboard that keeps track of kills, how long you've lasted, overall victories, and number of times you die. If you log out mid game it counts as a death so that people can't just spam character generation and always end up with good starting weapons, etc. without some sort of penalty. The boards will be randomly generated, and areas will phase in and out to force players to move and interact and not just hide the entire time.  

• Like 1

How about a half Borderlands/half Timesplitters game where each era you go to is a fairly open world, with vehicles where you have to complete a series of missions.  You get a shitload of different weapon types, each of them customizable, and with RPG elements that give you different powers.  It would have a sense of humor, and you'd run into a crazy cast of characters.  It would also have multiplayer where you could use all of your crazy weapons(everyone would in the game would have access to the same weapons),  and a sharable map editor that allows you to build crazy ass levels.  The multiplayer would be fully customizable as well.  You could play with all grenades, or pistols.  You could play survival where the winner is the last man standing.  How about a game of freeze tag where one team kills or "Freezes" a player on the opposite team and until someone on their team unfreezes them?  So you can play 5v5 and every time a player gets frozen the other team  plays at an advantage.  You could win when you reach the freeze limit, the time limit or if you can freeze the entire opposing team.  You can race the vehicles and/or play vehicular combat.  You could set it up where you could pick deathmatch, king of the hill, and the other standard game types, but then there could be another option that just drops you into random game types that could literally be anything.  The amount of options you have should be damn near overwhelming.  Sometimes games are going to be fun, sometimes they are going to be silly, sometimes the games aren't going to make any damn sense, but odds are none will ever be boring.  When was the last time a game gave you the freedom to play it the way you want?  Why do we have to fit all games into the same small ass boxes?  Seriously, every damn game takes itself so seriously these days.  Where are the goofy ass games that play as well as the serious games with a sense of humor and allow you to play it however you want.

Seriously, every damn game takes itself so seriously these days.  Where are the goofy ass games that play as well as the serious games with a sense of humor and allow you to play it however you want.

I want a new Base Wars.  Lots more parts.  More weapons.  More bot types.  More fighting moves.  The option to play a full season.

I'll be happy with the same, for Super Baseball 2020.

Seriously, every damn game takes itself so seriously these days.  Where are the goofy ass games that play as well as the serious games with a sense of humor and allow you to play it however you want.

Oh, I'm really looking forward to this, but I want it to go even further.  I don't really want them to give me a choice of characters, I want them to give me full reign on who and what my character to be.  I want all the weapon types of a Timesplitters game with all the variations of a Borderlands game.  I kind of just want a game that puts all the fun parts of first person shooters in one package that allows you to play it in new and interesting ways.  Basically, when you log on to play online you could play a Moba style like Battleborn, horde mode like Gears of War, straight up deathmatches, and even vehicular combat.  Not only that I want it to have everything to be fully customizable with map, weapon, and character editors.  Basically a FPS, which is one of the most played out genres, that plays differently every single time you play it. 

Seriously, every damn game takes itself so seriously these days. Where are the goofy ass games that play as well as the serious games with a sense of humor and allow you to play it however you want.

Oh, I'm really looking forward to this, but I want it to go even further. I don't really want them to give me a choice of characters, I want them to give me full reign on who and what my character to be. I want all the weapon types of a Timesplitters game with all the variations of a Borderlands game. I kind of just want a game that puts all the fun parts of first person shooters in one package that allows you to play it in new and interesting ways. Basically, when you log on to play online you could play a Moba style like Battleborn, horde mode like Gears of War, straight up deathmatches, and even vehicular combat. Not only that I want it to have everything to be fully customizable with map, weapon, and character editors. Basically a FPS, which is one of the most played out genres, that plays differently every single time you play it.

Well Battleborn has SOME of that. It's not all MOBA-style. There's also a team deathmatch. There's also a full campaign that can be played with 5-player co-op.

No character, map, or weapon editor though. But there are 25 characters, which is more variety than most games.

Seriously, every damn game takes itself so seriously these days. Where are the goofy ass games that play as well as the serious games with a sense of humor and allow you to play it however you want.

Oh, I'm really looking forward to this, but I want it to go even further. I don't really want them to give me a choice of characters, I want them to give me full reign on who and what my character to be. I want all the weapon types of a Timesplitters game with all the variations of a Borderlands game. I kind of just want a game that puts all the fun parts of first person shooters in one package that allows you to play it in new and interesting ways. Basically, when you log on to play online you could play a Moba style like Battleborn, horde mode like Gears of War, straight up deathmatches, and even vehicular combat. Not only that I want it to have everything to be fully customizable with map, weapon, and character editors. Basically a FPS, which is one of the most played out genres, that plays differently every single time you play it.

Well Battleborn has SOME of that. It's not all MOBA-style. There's also a team deathmatch. There's also a full campaign that can be played with 5-player co-op.

No character, map, or weapon editor though. But there are 25 characters, which is more variety than most games.

I'm probably getting that game first day.  I'm a huge Borderlands fan and I enjoy their sense of humor, and I'm sure that game is going to insanely fun.  Honestly, if I could pick one developer to make the game I'm thinking of Gearbox would be #1 by far. 

• Like 1

I'm probably getting that game first day. I'm a huge Borderlands fan and I enjoy their sense of humor, and I'm sure that game is going to insanely fun. Honestly, if I could pick one developer to make the game I'm thinking of Gearbox would be #1 by far.

You and me both. Which console will you play it on, or are you a PC guy? I'm getting it on X-Bone.

I'm probably getting that game first day. I'm a huge Borderlands fan and I enjoy their sense of humor, and I'm sure that game is going to insanely fun. Honestly, if I could pick one developer to make the game I'm thinking of Gearbox would be #1 by far.

You and me both. Which console will you play it on, or are you a PC guy? I'm getting it on X-Bone.

Unless something crazy happens that changes my primary console, I'll be getting it on XBOne.  My PS4 is essentially only used for PS4 exclusives.

• Like 1