DVDVR Message Board

Design your dream game that will never, ever happen in real life...

Big Fresh

Most niche game idea ever, and I can't decide if it would be fun or get quickly frustrating, but me and Lariato were just fantasising about a World of Sport computer game on Twitter. 

Like the style itself it would be built around holds and counters and go at a slow pace. So imagine, like, you're trapped in a hold you have to point the direction button around until you're in the right place position to execute a counter, then a button prompt will come up so you push that. That's the first part of the counter. Then you've got to chain them together following that pattern or you end up back at square one. Similar principle when you're in control. Baggsy being Pat Roach

6 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

Most niche game idea ever, and I can't decide if it would be fun or get quickly frustrating, but me and Lariato were just fantasising about a World of Sport computer game on Twitter. 

Like the style itself it would be built around holds and counters and go at a slow pace. So imagine, like, you're trapped in a hold you have to point the direction button around until you're in the right place position to execute a counter, then a button prompt will come up so you push that. That's the first part of the counter. Then you've got to chain them together following that pattern or you end up back at square one. Similar principle when you're in control. Baggsy being Pat Roach

I don't know if I'd play that game, but I'd be happy if it led to a submission system worth a damn in an MMA and/or wrestling game.

I have been bouncing around a game in my head for months now that I guess I'd have to sum up as "Crusader Kings II but in space in the distant future", only in my mind, my game is actually not broken because that would be nice. I sort of imagine it focusing very heavy on running the politics and economy and, like CK, not as much micromanaging of combat. I also know the economics focus would turn off more people than it turns on, but that kind of sums up any grand strategy title that isn't a Total War game it seems. The thing that was fascinating about CK II was the interpersonal relationships and how characters react to each other, and it's really not been something other games have tried to re-image much yet. There would be a way wider range of government types though since you aren't tied to medieval history. I've been thinking about it ever since that Humble Bundle where they sold some gamemaker software that I didn't buy, and I've sort of regretted it since. I don't really know if I could ever even get such a project off the ground, but if they ever do another one of those I might just have to try it.

I've also been floating around the idea for a space colony simulation, but it would be pretty different than something like RimWorld (which in itself is a very excellent game). 

I have a lot of ideas really, and all of them come to nothing. It feels like a waste.

27 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

I have been bouncing around a game in my head for months now that I guess I'd have to sum up as "Crusader Kings II but in space in the distant future", only in my mind, my game is actually not broken because that would be nice. I sort of imagine it focusing very heavy on running the politics and economy and, like CK, not as much micromanaging of combat. I also know the economics focus would turn off more people than it turns on, but that kind of sums up any grand strategy title that isn't a Total War game it seems. The thing that was fascinating about CK II was the interpersonal relationships and how characters react to each other, and it's really not been something other games have tried to re-image much yet. There would be a way wider range of government types though since you aren't tied to medieval history. I've been thinking about it ever since that Humble Bundle where they sold some gamemaker software that I didn't buy, and I've sort of regretted it since. I don't really know if I could ever even get such a project off the ground, but if they ever do another one of those I might just have to try it.

Distant Worlds: Universe actually checks off a lot of the boxes you're looking for, although you don't get the CK2 character-based stuff.

14 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

I've also been floating around the idea for a space colony simulation, but it would be pretty different than something like RimWorld (which in itself is a very excellent game). 

I have a lot of ideas really, and all of them come to nothing. It feels like a waste.

I'd take a game that had the depth of city/kingdom building of Civilization with the political/economical depth of Crusader Kings II.  Something where you go from trying to barter with neighboring kingdoms, to having to negotiate marriage pacts, all the way to free trade agreements over generations while doing all the technology development, and such you do in Civilization.  So, you start as a savage who decides he'd rather settle down and start a family than to continue raping and pillaging, and over generations you build to the point where you are a super advanced, space faring society.  You would have to decide whether or not you are going to continue your monarchy or if you are going to start sharing the power, and there are definite consequences that you'll have to navigate based on those decisions.  Alliances between nations would change as leaders changed, and you'd have to constantly be vigilant about what alliances are going on in the world.  

• Like 1

I know it would be a big departure for the series, but that honestly sounds like what the next Civ game should be. There hasn't been a huge jump from one iteration to the next since II to III really, unless I'm missing something. While I still love the series, I'm playing each game less and less as they come out. This would be a huge step in the right direction of keeping it fresh.

I envision something that has builder elements but is more a game about dealing with bureaucracy and bullshit than it is directing "put a structure here". IE say your faction settles a world so you dictate "hey build an advanced mining center, a health center and a military outpost on the main continent our colony ship is landing on" or whatever, but the actual speed and quality of said work depends partially on the Idiots You Work With much moreso than your ability to micromanage a menu, a resource icon, or a dozen worker peons. I guess what I'm saying is more a game about dealing with the results of actions than micromanaging the actions themselves. Being able to choose specific people for specific jobs and having to live with the consequences of hiring or firing people. A game about how people react to each other, as much as it is about building correct buildings.

Builder games are fun as hell (I have lost countless hours to them and I have a couple more wishlisted), but I feel like CK II tapped into the sense of "you're in charge but your job is dealing with The System, not assigning the average citizens 450 different tasks" that I find interesting. I think that element of the genre is still, relatively, untapped, and as AI's continue to get a little more interesting, those kind of games seem to have a ton of potential.

On 2/6/2014 at 12:54 PM, Domino_Not_Deuce said:

Battle Royale. 72 hour time limit ala Dead Rising but with randomised worlds, randomised weapons, randomised combatants (from a pool of however many you want to name), you have your wits about you and have to survive. If you explore, you can find all sorts of crazy shit on the island, form partnerships with friendly AI or run afoul of the hostile ones or you can camp up in the lighthouse with your gun and only move when you're forced. Try to attack the HQ like the movie or just survive and be like the girl with the teddy bear at the start, I don't care, it's your game, brother.

Then have the option to do that online and play it all out with real people. Somehow.

I just wanted to bump this one for actually happening

• Like 1

Pretty much. My PC is a fucking tank and it crashed it just as I got into the last 10. It's fine but the huge appeal is not something I understand entirely. All students talk about now is playing Fortnite. The bathtub meme is hilarious tho.