DVDVR Message Board

The Podcast Thread

Dana Gould's podcast is heaven.  He did a whole segment on Rondo Hatton. 

It's kind of weird that for almost 25 years or so now I've been pretty sure Dana Gould is the funniest man on earth, but he shows up so rarely anywhere I might see him.  Like, I didn't even know about his podcast until he showed up on SVENGOOLIE and talked about the Lon Chaney JR Wolfman.  Apparently Dana Gould met Vampira at some point when she was super old and was basically like her caretaker for awhile.

That combination of funny and obsession with old shit is real perfect.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Dana Gould's podcast is heaven. He did a whole segment on Rondo Hatton.

It's kind of weird that for almost 25 years or so now I've been pretty sure Dana Gould is the funniest man on earth, but he shows up so rarely anywhere I might see him. Like, I didn't even know about his podcast until he showed up on SVENGOOLIE and talked about the Lon Chaney JR Wolfman. Apparently Dana Gould met Vampira at some point when she was super old and was basically like her caretaker for awhile.

That combination of funny and obsession with old shit is real perfect.

There's finally a new one up and it's out of this world.

Well, "funny and obsessed with old stuff" sounds like gilberts show. :)

Never heard Dana's show, so just just going by how you described it.

Haha, I get you. But really, everyone check out Dana's show. It's really unique. There's usually two sets of interviews with both groups of guests or single ones, that share some themes. They go back and forth between them, and then there's the "Two Guys From Boston" segment, his story about some cool thing that's usually followed by a recommendation of the book he read about it, (I've bought two books based on these stories). And it's a professional production . And most importantly it's hilarious.

Yeah, that HDTGM ep is great. Was laughing out loud at work.

This week's We Hate Movies on Terminator 3 is a particularly good episode for them as well.

EVERY How Did This Get Made is great. Even despite doing carny bullshit like suddenly appreciating Cool As Ice a hell of a lot more when they were interviewing Vanilla himself, as opposed to how they were talking about it during the actual review.

Someone recommended to me We Hate Movies. I went there, took one look at their Hated Movies list, and instantly retreated in disgust, never to return. They've got fuckin' masterpieces like The Rapture on the list, sitting right next to your usual suspects like The Phantom Menace and/or Battlefield Earth (as if any two of those movies were on the same level of quality, let alone all three).

Actually, listening to the Turtles 2 episode, I almost wanna take back my praise and just shit all over this show. They're deliberately trolling the New York crowd with a LOT of 9/11 jokes. And now the hosts are SERIOUSLY offended by a couple of audience members who are... wearing shorts? People being nauseated by short pants is still A Thing? I mean, they're barely even trying to joke, they're obviously, legitimately angry at this. Hey, HDTGM pricks: fuck y'all, m'kay?

Actually, listening to the Turtles 2 episode, I almost wanna take back my praise and just shit all over this show. They're deliberately trolling the New York crowd with a LOT of 9/11 jokes. And now the hosts are SERIOUSLY offended by a couple of audience members who are... wearing shorts? People being nauseated by short pants is still A Thing? I mean, they're barely even trying to joke, they're obviously, legitimately angry at this. Hey, HDTGM pricks: fuck y'all, m'kay?

Weren't all the 9/11 jokes made by Adam what's his face, the one-time guest?  

They really aren't offended......

Then why'd they spend so much time heckling their own fans, and never once even implying that they didn't seriously think these guys were total losers cuz their legs were visible? In general I've noticed them becoming more and more dickish towards the live fans over time, which isn't something I enjoy at all.

Weren't all the 9/11 jokes made by Adam what's his face, the one-time guest?

The multiple-time returning guest, actually. And I dunno for sure, his voice sounded rather similar to one of the hosts. (Sometimes, especially when they're talking over each other, this show turns into a verbal cacophony and I can't differentiate anybody but June.)

Yeah, it's "bust your balls" stuff. I love it. And as far as the 9/11 jokes go, they were funny and busting the crowds balls for being all "Oooh, I don't know if I should laugh " was great. It's a comedy show, people need to quit clutching their pearls.

• Like 1

When they started freaking out because they thought the guy with the sign was going to propose to his girlfriend I was nearly in tears. Everyone knows to expect ball breaking when they ask questions, and hopefully it keeps drunk assholes with terrible questions from stepping up.

• Like 1

I've never found "ball breaking" to be remotely funny. It just comes off to me as vicious, needless, and primitive. It's not even a meta joke on the comedians, like, oh, like how Sarah Silverman is with all the horrible shit she says. With that act, it's about the fact that Sarah-the-character is totally oblivious about how offensive she's being, which is clearly intentional by Sarah-the-performer. When the HDTGM crew is lashing out at the people who pay their salaries, I don't feel any similar kind of self-deprecation going on. They just seem like they're being loud assholes towards the people they should be nicest to. Check out other pods like Hollywood Babylon to see examples of worked ball-busting, where they obviously don't mean it. All too often, increasingly so in recent times, the HDTGM guys feel like they do mean it.