DVDVR Message Board

The Podcast Thread

• 1 month later...

I've gotten immersed in hardcoregaming101.net's podcast Top 47,858 Games of All Time. It's wildly uneven and I find a couple of the occasional cast members obnoxious, but always interesting.  

I've also now heard all of S-Town.  it makes me uncomfortable in a lot of ways, and it feels like Reed found one great "character" in John B and felt compelled to build something around him even though it meant spending a lot of time spinning wheels and creating tension where none should have been.  It felt really compelling and vital, but when you get to the end it feels like Reed built a mountain out of a molehill and got the wrong kind of invasive in the process.

• 3 months later...

This month's Dana Gould Hour is 75% about Jerry Lewis, because it couldn't NOT be.  It's pretty amazing; my favorite bit is the digression about Sammy Petrillo's sad, short career as a Jerry Lewis impersonator and Bela Lugosi Meets a Brooklyn Gorilla. But the whole thing is obviously great.  (And hey, new album next month. I should pre-order that.)

• 4 weeks later...

I kind of fell out of the habit of listening to Talkin' Toons long before Rob got sick and took a year off, because it was too irregular and too long when it did come out.  I literally had no idea he had brought the show (either as an addendum or a replacement) to Vrv's Nerdist channel, despite having had Vrv for nearly a year (because I don't really care about Nerdist stuff, so I never looked at that channel).  It's given him a chance to bring back old favorite guests like DiMaggio, the other TMNT and of course LaMarche and re-tell stories pod listeners have already heard, but it's also given him the ability to do things like have Conroy, Dini and Alan Burnett all on together.  It's probably not worth $10 a month, but if like me you'd have that subscription anyway it's pretty great.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Slate Hit Parade is so great; I wish it were more than once a month, but I understand that a music history podcast is a very different animal than three assholes making jokes about video games.  My favorite episode so far is probably either the one going into the history of multi-artist charity singles or "The War Against The Single", which details the years when record labels made a habit of releasing songs to radio, pressing just enough copies of the cassingle to get them on the charts, and then deleting them (or just not releasing them at all) to force people to buy the whole CD.

Posting this here because we're busting our asses but not getting enough listeners:

Read More Horror Comics - me and three of my friends talking about horror comics  - the horror comic stuff ends up being a framing device for other weird shit we talk about most of the time, though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This month's Hit Parade is about hip hop from "Rapper's Delight" thru about 1994.  The main focus is on the formation of Def Jam and its first wave of superstars, but Molanphy does a pretty good job of explaining the forces that got Simmons and Rubin into the same space at the same time and how Run-DMC, the Beasties and LL Cool J managed to break through in ways that other rappers couldn't at the time.  As always, it's really fun.

On 2/6/2018 at 12:14 PM, Johnny Sorrow said:

I just started listening to Good Christian Fun and it's great. It's two hosts, one of whom was half of Gilmore Guys, who both are Christian discussing Christian pop culture. I just listened to the episode  on Davey and Goliath and it's hilarious.

Looking into this, I HAVE to know how anyone could possibly spend two hours discussing the music of Steven Curtis Chapman, and I say that as someone who saw him live twice in high school.

4 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

Looking into this, I HAVE to know how anyone could possibly spend two hours discussing the music of Steven Curtis Chapman, and I say that as someone who saw him live twice in high school.

It’s a wonderful show, and I’m not familiar with most of what they’re discussing.

15 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

It’s a wonderful show, and I’m not familiar with most of what they’re discussing.

I've now listened to the Michael W Smith, dc Talk and Left Behind episodes and I am theoretically all-in.  I have a really bad habit of falling behind on long-form podcasts, but this was REALLY fun.  Having been Super Jesus Boy in the early to mid 90s, I have like a half dozen things I'd love to hear them talk about (I'd be REAL interested to hear them dissect legendary Christian comedian and con artist Mike Warnke, whose show was a mix of competent G-rated stand-up and warnings about a totally fictional Satanist conspiracy that he stole note for note from 70s con artist/preacher Johnny Todd WHO WARNKE HELPED DEBUNK.)

1 hour ago, Cliff Hanger said:

I've now listened to the Michael W Smith, dc Talk and Left Behind episodes and I am theoretically all-in.  I have a really bad habit of falling behind on long-form podcasts, but this was REALLY fun.  Having been Super Jesus Boy in the early to mid 90s, I have like a half dozen things I'd love to hear them talk about (I'd be REAL interested to hear them dissect legendary Christian comedian and con artist Mike Warnke, whose show was a mix of competent G-rated stand-up and warnings about a totally fictional Satanist conspiracy that he stole note for note from 70s con artist/preacher Johnny Todd WHO WARNKE HELPED DEBUNK.)

I sent Kevin and Caroline an e mail telling them how much I love the show and linked them to info about the Christian Archie comics from the Seventies and some other stuff. Kevin replied the next day with a nice thanks and replied that he was going to check them out. 

And the closed Facebook group is an oasis of pleasant in the middle of the cesspool of FB. I cherry picked eps at first as well, but quickly went back and listened to all of them. Their live show from Brooklyn on Vimeo is hilarious.

Hi! I have a podcast now.

Here's the summary: Two of my friends have been intentionally divebombing a netflix account for years to see how bad they can make the recommended queue. When one of them asked me how to record a podcast, I said I would do it for them as long as he funded my next home studio upgrade. This netflix account is named Bob. When its time to watch a bad movie, we dial Bob for bad.

http://www.dialbob.com

We record two kinds of episodes: some are just us bantering about San Diego and this leatherbound quote book we found in a crate and other things that amuse us. The other episodes are commentary tracks over the bad movies Bob picks for us. New episodes go up on some Saturdays so if yr plans fall apart, you'll always be able to hang out with us at least.