DVDVR Message Board

The Podcast Thread

• 2 weeks later...

Los Angeles NPR station KCRW launched a music history podcast, Lost Notes, last month. So far I've only listened to the New Edition episode but it was pretty cool. Other eps are about Louie Louie, Caprain Beefheart and pirate station WBAD and I look forward to digging in.

• 2 months later...

Hi! I'm still out here making a podcast with my friends. (short pitch: dial Bob for bad is a show about film and resolve. my friends have poisoned a netflix account (Bob) with hideous movies. half our episodes are stories about this big dumb grave of a city, the other half are commentary tracks for the movies from Bob's recommended queue)

We had an idea about an excursion- a summer vacation of sorts- and now I present the results, complete with a photo gallery and a collection of videos.

Here is our tale of the San Diego stop of the final Vans Warped Tour.

• 4 weeks later...

It has to do with him being on Stitcher Premium and/or Earwolf.  Only the last 6 months or so of the regular episodes are free, otherwise you have to subscribe.  The Colossal Obsession podcasts are subscription only now.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Not sure what the general opinion here is of JRE, but I listen to select clips on YouTube and hardly ever the entire thing as it's usually really long and I have a short attention span and easily get bored after a bit.

He brings on a group of guests from different backgrounds in different fields with interesting points of views.

The Eddie Bravo uneducated conspiracy talk is funny at first, but gets tiresome after a bit.

4 hours ago, Edwin said:

Not sure what the general opinion here is of JRE, but I listen to select clips on YouTube and hardly ever the entire thing as it's usually really long and I have a short attention span and easily get bored after a bit.

He brings on a group of guests from different backgrounds in different fields with interesting points of views.

The Eddie Bravo uneducated conspiracy talk is funny at first, but gets tiresome after a bit.

I run hot and cold on JRE, but the recent episode with Jake The Snake is really awesome.

I tend to keep JRE for when I'm attending events and have a lot of miles to drive due to the length. The only ones I really listen to are when he has Jordan Peterson, Peter Hancock, Henry Rollins or Joe Diaz on though. Sometimes he'll have an interesting guest on that I'll check out or if it covers something I'm interested in but I'd say I only dl one a month if that.

The Art of Manliness is a good podcast covering a broad bunch of topics that always has something to take away if anyone is looking for a recommendation. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Listening to Gilbert's new podcast with J. Elvis Weinstein (dying for his James Mason "Boys from Brazil" bit) and I have to ask: did Gilbert have a stroke or something similarly debilitating? His voice sounds really off compared to a few years ago...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I fell a month behind on Hit Parade because I tend only to listen to that show when I can do so in one sitting without having to pause and wearing good headphones.  So Wed I listened to the Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation 1814 episode, and today I listened to the Halloween ep (which was centered on The Cure's "Lovesong" but extended backward and sideways to cover the entire rise of UK post-punk and how it inspired the launch of Billboard's Modern Rock chart, which then led to goth and post-punk acts like the Cure, New Order and Depeche Mode making the jump from college rock to mainstream).  Both were of course excellent, Molanphy's a great curator and a great storyteller.

• 4 weeks later...

The hosts of How Did This Get Played (Earwolf's bad-games podcast hosted by Birthday-and-Doughboy Nick Wiger and ex-Whose Line performer Heather Anne Campbell) fucked up HARD this week.  First, they thought it would be fun to do Custer's Revenge on Thanksgiving week.  Then they invited Native comedian and TV writer Joey Clift on as their guest.  And it's harrowing.  Clift plays along thru the first half of the show, then as soon as it's time to talk about the game he shuts shit down.  And it's great.  Clift doesn't pull any punches, the hosts acknowledge how fucked a choice it was, while explaining why they made that choice without defending it.  I thought it was amazing but I don't feel like I can encourage or discourage listening for anyone who isn't 'a well meaning white guy who has inadvertently hurt a friend" or a Native angry about tokenism

• Like 1