DVDVR Message Board

The Podcast Thread

Just now, (BP) said:

The best part might be Jason saying "Pretty Boy" Ric Flair like five times and finally telling the one guy in the audience trying to correct him that he didn't care. 

They were too busy knitting infinity scarves to correct him.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So as a follow up to the Solarbabies episode of How Did This Get Made, Blake Harris who does the oral histories of a bunch of the movies interviewed Mel Brooks concerning Solarbabies.  Apparently, it almost busted the bank for Mel.  It's worth a listen because Mel is pretty awesome.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

There isn't really a perfect spot for this so I will mention this here - and folks that this will be relevant too probably already know

Meg Turney is no longer with Rooster Teeth

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

As "deep dives into historical comics" becomes more and more of a genre, my new favorite is Titan Up the Defense (formerly known as Teen Titans Wasteland). Every week, two brothers (one a hardcore collector, one more Mundy but receptive) read either an issue of Teen Titans (they did the entire 60s-70s run and have now started NTT) or Defenders (they just started this, only done the first 2 appearances). It's modern people attempting to parse Bob Haney Titans. what more do you need?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been wondering what happened to Talkin Toons for awhile now, and a new one popped up on my feed. Turns out Rob Paulsen had throat cancer and he's spent the last year in treatment . Fuck. 

The treatment was successful but he has the side effects of his saliva glands being toast and he can't really taste food.

Oh shit. Rob is literally the nicest person I have ever met at a con; he saw me squinting and leaning to read signs near his booth on his break, snuck behind me and said "if you're looking for Rob Paulsen, save your money. That guy's an asshole." He talked to me for a good 15 min and was just incredibly kind and cheerful and excited to talk to fans, and has been such at every show I've seen him at. I wish him only the best.

• 1 month later...

I was poking around twitter and saw this:

So apparently the Nerd Poker crew are working on a  new season.  They've stated that it will not be on Earwolf and they have not announced where they are going to end up.  It looks like Brian, Dan, Blaine and Ken are in a pic posted recently on the twitter. 

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Jeremy and Bob sold out and have taken Retronauts to PodcastOne.  I'm torn between wanting to support those guys turning games-historianing into a career and "ugh, Carolla." I don't have anything else to talk about wrt pods because work has gone to shit and I'm so far behind on audio that I haven't even started the final War Doctor set so podcasts not called Retronauts or related to politics have completely fallen off my sched.

I think maybe you can still get the episodes on Soundcloud.

I don't really have a problem with PodcastOne besides the shows having commercial breaks.  They still seem to think radio formatting really works.

On 11/15/2016 at 11:15 PM, odessasteps said:

this vet/newbie model seems everywhere in pods across the genres. i can think of at least 4 or 5, either in comics or tv shows.

Generally, not a fan of the gimmick. 

I've been listening for about a month. I thought I wasn't gonna enjoy Hub's wit, but he's pretty non-offensive. Plus, he got extra points from me for his CORRECT pro wrestling and hip hop references. 

On 12/31/2016 at 0:47 AM, Johnny Sorrow said:

Hey, everyone! Crimetown is not only the best podcast out there right now, it's the best anything out there right now. 

Holy shit, it's fucking tremendous.

Oh man, I'm 4 episodes in and it's so good.  I already knew about Buddy Cianci and Providence being mobbed up in general terms, but learning all the specifics is amazing.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/13/2017 at 2:03 PM, Red is Dead said:

Took a completely weird left turn at the end of episode two and then just petered out. 

I dont quite get what they were trying to do. It was an interesting listen, nonetheless.

Yeah that was pretty much my thoughts but I think that's partly our fault due to preconceived notions. I guess we were led into expecting intrigue and excitement (MURDER! HIDDEN TREASURE! A MAZE! COMPROMISED RELATIVES!) when no, there's none of that and it's just a man's sad story and how he affected those around him. No real resolution, no happy ending, no moral really, lots of loose ends, just like real life

• Like 1