DVDVR Message Board

The Podcast Thread

Thanks to this thread, I've listened to "How Did This Get Made?" for this first time today. It's cracking me up at work. Especially the Street Fighter episode and the exchange of "What exactly is a 'Street Fighter'? Which one of these characters is the 'Street Fighter'?"

But it pisses me off that me and my buddies didn't think of this idea first. It's so fucking simple.

Marcos, the last 2 weeks imparituclar of the RT Podcast have been great due to the rare appearances of Joel. Especially last week's which was live at an RTX panel, and Joel gave out Jack's cell phone number publically.

Thanks to this thread, I've listened to "How Did This Get Made?" for this first time today. It's cracking me up at work. Especially the Street Fighter episode and the exchange of "What exactly is a 'Street Fighter'? Which one of these characters is the 'Street Fighter'?"But it pisses me off that me and my buddies didn't think of this idea first. It's so fucking simple.

Any and all later, shitty Al Pacino movies they've done are amazing.  88 minutes, Devil's Advocate...

Re: Penn's Sunday School

That one is actually very high on my list, but I didn't mention it since the politics are hardcore libertarian and the Ape asked for lefty stuff. They can go weeks without any politics, but when they go there it's loud and angry enough that I am reluctant to recommend it to someone who is antipathetic to a that POV.

That said, I am hoping that one day I can use "It's not rocket science, Batmqn!" In real life.

• Like 2

I've been a fan of Marc Maron since I saw him on HBO almost 20 years ago, and his "WTF" podcast is fucking great. He's one of the best interviewers out there and can get a great show out of guests you'd think might not be that funny or interesting. His interview with Micheal Keaton was hilarious, and his one with Mel Brooks was fantastic. Really, everything is really good.

• Like 1

For gaming, there is only the Giant Bombcast

Sports, well I used to listen to lots of MMA stuff but now I don't find I have the time for listening to 4 hours of Jordan Breen every week, so it's really just the Guardian's Football Weekly show. Which is twice weekly during the soccer season, mostly focused on the English league but with roundups of interesting stories from elsewhere in Europe.

Comedy: There's The Bugle, which I assume most podcast savvy people are aware of. And the BBC has The Infinite Monkey Cage, which is a Radio 4 show with physcists Brian Cox & comedian Robin Ince & a few guests where they talk about sciencey stuff in a light hearted but still interesting manner. There was an episode about Space Tourism a couple of weeks ago which had the actor Brian Blessed on which is particular worth a listen, because he's so passionate about getting to do it. It's fun, but be forewarned that they can be quite dismissive of "fringe" views which aren't scientifically proven. And I really enjoy some of the stuff that British standup Richard Herring has done, the sketch show As It Occurs To Me was entertaining, & there's also a series of interviews he's done with comedians, writers & the occasional classicist, Richard Herring's Leicester Square Theatre Podcast, & it's offspring Richard Herring's Edinburgh Fringe Podcast, done during the month long Fringe Festival. There's also Collings & Herrin, but that was a podcast mainly talking about the weeks news, so it'll all be out of date by now.

And then there's 2 history podcasts, The History of Rome, which covers the myths about the founding of the Eternal City all the way to the fall of the Western Empire with Romulus Augustus. And The History Of Philosophy Without The Gaps, 138 episodes in & we're still dealing with early Islamic thinkers, having covered several pre-Socratics, Socrates, plenty of episodes on both Socrates & Plato, Stoics, Cynics, Skeptics, Epicureans, Middle Platonists, Neo-Platonists, people like Galen, Marcus Aurelius, Cicero, Philo, Plutarch, & then early Christian philosophers such as Augustine. If you've any interest in philosophy & the development of things like ethics, metaphysics & politics then this is well worth downloading & listening to.

Here are a few of the Podcasts I enjoy, no particular order

• Smodcast Fatman on Batman (Kevin Smith and his love for Batman among other Comic creators)
  • Art of Wrestling
  • Stone Cold Steve Austin Show
  • Get Up On This (Although I really enjoy the spinoff within the show Get Off Of This,  I still kind of think of Jensen Karp as a pretentious douche bag at times though)
  • MetalCast ( a great heavy metal podcast usually broken down into the sub genres.  Where else can i find a podcast on Pirate or Folk Metal specific)

Do NPR shows count as "podcasts" since they're produced primarily for terrestrial broadcast?

If we're listing radio shows that get uploaded to the 'Net, then by all means check out Q with Jion Ghomeshi.  Basically the Canadian version of "Fresh Air" with a host who's willing to ask tough, insightful questions of his guests (he badgered Willem Dafoe until he got Dafoe to admit that he doesn't care about the 'motivations' for a character he's playing and instead chooses parts based on how much physicality is involved in the role).

To The Best of Our Knowledge has been awful for the past two years or so, as Jim Fleming obviously doesn't give a shit anymore and just sleepwalks through each episode.  Some weird topic choices, like doing "The Best Short Stories of 2012" in the middle of March 2013.

Is the Kevin Pollack podcast different than those long, rambling Youtube interview shows he posts?

I like Bill Simmons when he's focusing on football of baseball.

I'm too much of a cynic to really care for "storyteller" shows like This American Life or Snap Judgement.  I had a friend who tried to get me to listen to the episode of American Life that launched the "sleepwalk with me" meme while we were on a long car trip, and I was like "Why are we listening to this?  So a comedian fell out of the window of a La Quinta Inn while sleepwalking. Why is this on?"  Just not a show that appeals to me, though I won't deny it has a lot of fans.

Marketplace is a pretty good financial program, and Kai Ryssdal does a good job of keeping his own economic/political views under wraps, unlike NPR's Planet Money team which is basically an unpaid advertisement for globalization and those "Freakanomics" books. 

If we're counting NPR shows then you should be listening to Wits.  It's like Prairie Home Companion for people under the age of 60.

Comedy-wise I also really like the sadly-defunct You Look Nice Today.  It's just three funny guys shooting the shit and doing some gentle schtick.  They do have an extensive back catalog to listen to.  The episodes with John Hodgman and Jonathan Coulton are particularly choice.

Thanks to the thread for introducing me to How Did This Get Made and Nerd Poker.

OH!  One I keep forgetting to mention, which is sadly pretty irregular these days but has a nice backlog, is "Talkin' Toons" with Rob Paulsen. It started off as just Rob (voice of, among others, Yakko and Pinky on Animaniacs, Raph on 80s TMNT, Donnie on Nick TMNT, etc.) talking about his own career, giving advice for people who want to get into voiceover, etc. but the show really took off once he started having his buddies on. Twitter questions tend to devolve into fans asking for improv bits in famous characters, but anyone who loves cartoons and video games (as all right-thinking people do, of course) will find plenty to enjoy.  Highlights include the two hour Mark Hamill interview from 5/4/12, anytime Maurice LeMarche or Billy West is on, anytime he gets a big cast group (like the Turtles, the Warners, etc.) on, and David Kaye as Megatron having a VERY creepy chat with Yakko.  Oh, and Steve Blum telling this amazing story about being at a con and having this enormous dude come up and hug him because of the positive effect Blum's Digimon character had had on the guy's autistic son.

Both of these for sure. HDTGM? is one I discovered maybe 2 weeks ago and I've almost gotten through the entire archive. This week's special episode featuring Sharknado was amazing.

Wait, there've been new episodes of How Did This Get Made? *checks* Aw, crap. They changed their rss feed from libsyn to feedburner. Bastards.