DVDVR Message Board

The Podcast Thread

I figured I'd start this because I remember we had a pretty lively thread about podcasts on the old board, and I just got Downcast for downloading podcasts.

I listened to Harry Shearer's "Le Show", which is pretty amusing if you like Seymour Skinner going over the current events of the day.

So I figured my life needed more things like that.  Here's my preferences.

-Comedy.  It can be high-brow stuff like Le Show or any of the other NPR stuff, but I'll also listen to good ol' standup and that kind of stuff.  The only thing I care about is if it's funny.  Satire and the like are fine, too.

-Sports?  Preferably soccer, baseball, and maybe hockey.

-News stuff, maybe politics, preferably left of center.

-Gaming, too.

So what're you listening to these days, and what do you think I'd dig?

Sports: men in Blazers, football weekly, tuesday club, si soccer pod, beyond the pitch, 5 live, prime time sports (toronto), tsn drive (toronto), baseball central (toronto), marek vs wyshynski, espn fc, joe posnanski (hiatus), inside si

Comics: house to astonish

Comedy: smartest man in the world (greg proops), danny baker

Science: Naked Scientists, DR Karl

Media: mission log (star trek), media talk (guardian)

Freakonomics and Econtalk are the only current-events podcasts I listen to; Econtalk is pretty hardcore laissez-faire in its politics but they have on a lot of guests not talking directly about "economics" as we understand it; the episode a few weeks ago about the written versus unwritten rules in sports, and why sometimes safety equipment makes the game more dangerous, was pretty excellent.  And even when Roberts does talk specifically modern economics in terms of monetary and fiscal policy, taxation, etc. he's refreshingly eager to bring on opposing viewpoints and have an honest conversation with them.  Freakonomics, meanwhile, is pretty much the best thing ever in every medium its curators choose to explore. 

Gotta second the love for House to Astonish.  War Rocket Ajax is REALLY hit or miss for me, but when they're on they're ON.  I feel like it's partly dependent on the guests, partly on how fixated Sims is on something stupid from real life that week.  I have tried to pick up other comics casts but never stick with them.

Gaming, the only things I listen to are Retronauts (welcome back!) and Playstation Nation.  PSNation, much like WRA, can be really great or a chore to sit through.  Retronauts, meanwhile, is absolute must-hear every time at bat.

I'll third the recommendation for House to Astonish, which strikes the perfect balance between taking comics seriously but also recognizing they can be a bit silly at times. I also like How Did This Get Made, a comedy podcast about bad movies with Paul Scheer and a few other comedians.

In gaming, my favorite podcast is the Giant Bombcast, but it's a terrible time to pick it up as one of the regulars tragically passed away at the age of 34 a couple weeks ago.

I used to listen to quite a few podcasts before my computer died, now I've kinda fallen out of the habit.  My favorites were the general Wrestling Observer family of casts, several of Kevin Smith's Smodcast spin-offs, a few casts by the ubernerds over at That Guy With The Glasses, and sometimes some Prairie Home Companion or some equally classy NPR stuff.  I've also helped several different wrestling podcasts over the years, but they were all bush-league stuff with audiences in the dozens (on a good night) and I would be absolutely shocked if anyone had every heard of 'em.  

I also like How Did This Get Made, a comedy podcast about bad movies with Paul Scheer and a few other comedians.

I caught the Birdemic episode, and it was quite awesome.  They did a long interview with the lead chick who starred in the movie where she told all these awful stories about what a trainwreck the shoot was, and had Weird Al Yankovich onhand to crack random jokes too!  

I also like How Did This Get Made, a comedy podcast about bad movies with Paul Scheer and a few other comedians.In gaming, my favorite podcast is the Giant Bombcast, but it's a terrible time to pick it up as one of the regulars tragically passed away at the age of 34 a couple weeks ago.

Both of these for sure. HDTGM? is one I discovered maybe 2 weeks ago and I've almost gotten through the entire archive. This week's special episode featuring Sharknado was amazing. I really like "Get Up on This," hosted by Jensen Karp and Matt Robinson. The hook is that they introduce listeners to new and unknown pop culture "stuff" (music/comics/apps/whatever) before it gets huge. I also like the Sklar Brothers podcast. Basically, I think I like stuff with comedians who aren't talking about comedy...

I'm still at the point where the only podcasts I listen to are Penn's Sunday School (because Penn Jillette is frickin' great) and The Adam Carolla Show, which I guess pretty much everyone listens to.

I am looking to expand my horizons on this front. But both of those are pretty good.

• Like 1

I'm not a huge podcast guy, but I will second the love for Sklarbro Country. Every once in a while, Radiolab will have something I find really interesting. I guess I will also mention the occasional episode of Art of Wrestling is pretty okay, although Colt grates on me as an interviewer. 

I gave up on carolla's show because- same political points over and over- an intense loathing of theresa strasser.- not enough dameshek

Teresa has been off the show over two years, replaced by Alison Rosen. Dameshek is on once a week for 'sports.'

Carolla is my favorite podcast, I get to listen to a lot during the day:

- Art of Wrestling: Cabana's podcast is good, but lately some of the guests have been stinkers

- House to Astonish: Great comic podcast, covering tons of stuff

- War Rocket Ajax: Weekly with varying comics guests

- Aw Yeah Podcast: Art Baltazar & Franco (Tiny Titans, Superman Family Adventures) with John Siuntres of Word Balloon just shooting the breeze in a (mostly) PG way

- the Film Vault: Every Friday, covering a different "Top Five" every week (this week is top five introductions)

- Norm MacDonald: is on hiatus over the summer, but the past episodes are worth a listen

- the Indoor Kids: not much of a gamer these days but Emily and Kumail are funny enough to make me listen to a 90 minute podcast about games I will never play

- Greg Fitzsimmons: great comedian, really funny podcast

- Dinner for Fiends/Foycast: from the Dread Central horror site. I wish they were more frequent :(

Anime: Anime World Order, Ninja Consultants, AAA

Games: Fast Karate for the Gentleman, Analogue Shtick

I haven't really found any video game podcasts besides Fast Karate for the Gentleman and AS that have really struck my fancy, although there are tons of good shows for anime out there. 

Stuff I listen to that hasn't been mentioned....there's a lot, since I work from home and pretty much listen to eight hours worth a day.

-History of Rome. This one is over, so it's just a 190 episode archive, but man is it fantastic and informative.

-Bertcast. Kreischer is the one person from Deathsquad aside from Rogan and Your Mom's House that actually has a feel for what the fuck he's doing anymore. His guests are usually pretty diverse and interesting as opposed to the same crop of people trotting out the same shit over and over.

-Hardcore History. Eps only come out every couple of months, and they're absolutely worth the wait. Actually considering buying some older episodes.

-Behind the Dish. After ESPN killed Baseball Today, Keith Law got his own podcast and it's different from the other baseball podcasts online...it's pretty much an interview plus a "closing rant", and if you like his columns and Twitter, you'll like this.

-Startalk. Neil Tyson is the man. That is all.

re: Carolla. I actually have a system for listening to his shows. I immediately skip all live shows, because they are generally terrible. Any political guest immediately gets skipped, because the same point gets beaten home time and time again. Whenever he goes onto one of his stupid political rants, I skip ahead 15 minutes, and if he's still talking about it, I'm done with the ep. At the end of the week, I probably end up listening to ~five hours of the ~eight hours of the pod each week...which I guess is a success.

I'm still at the point where the only podcasts I listen to are Penn's Sunday School (because Penn Jillette is frickin' great) and The Adam Carolla Show, which I guess pretty much everyone listens to.I am looking to expand my horizons on this front. But both of those are pretty good.

Penn is one of my heroes and I recommend Penn's Sunday School to everyone.

I'll third the recommendation for House to Astonish, which strikes the perfect balance between taking comics seriously but also recognizing they can be a bit silly at times. I also like How Did This Get Made, a comedy podcast about bad movies with Paul Scheer and a few other comedians.

Guys!  Guys!  This movie is literally, like, next-level bananas.

Posted Image

The best guy.

Guys! Guys! This movie is literally, like, next-level bananas.

Posted Image

The best guy.

Literally bonkers.

How's the Doug Benson movie podcast. I generally find him fairly unfunny, but he usually has some fun guests.

I stopped listening to Carolla's show for the most part a long time ago.  He kept rehashing the same stuff over and over.  I think between doing 5 shows a week and live appaerances, he stretched himself too thin, and his material suffered. 

It doesn't help that he surrounds himself with no talent cronies like Bald Bryan, who is fucking useless IMO and him playing the same three drops make the podcast sound like a second rate morning zoo show.  The live shows were particularly horrible, they were just mostly a clusterfuck of a half drunk Adam repeating the same stories.

Also a lot of the guests are just horrible.  And then when Adam does get a good one on, he never lets them talk anyway.

I don't really care about Adam's political views, it's just that he is so hypocritical to me.  Like when he rails on people for being bad parents when he is having his nanny basically raise his kids and he does stuff like call his son derogatory terms for a gay person or his daughter a bitch.

Podcasts currently on my iPod...

99% Invisible - Short (20mins-ish), fairly interesting pieces about architecture and design. Only started listening recently. It's kinda hipstery.

A Way With Words - Two lexicographers answer questions regarding etymology of words and phrases. Informative and fun.

The Adam & Joe show - It's not really on anymore now that Joe Cornish is off making movies (there was a brief Adam & Edith period, but it's not as funny) Anyway, there's a backlog of shows from BBC and XFM, that have literally made me look like an hysterical idiot on the train.

The CHUD show - 3 guys (usually) shoot the shit about movies. I love it for the obscure movie references, and the occasional funny pun. Also a ton of bad puns. Be warned though that if you're offended easily, it's not for you. They can be very misogynistic and full of offensive jokes.

Filmspotting - Haven't listened in a long time because I haven't been watching a ton of films lately either. But I'd highly recommend this for some smart film discussion.

Tobolowsky Files - An oldie and I believe it's finished. A genuinely moving collection of short stories told by actor Stephen Tobolowsky based on moments in his life.

Great Lives - British personalities discuss the lives of famous people they've admired.

Also just recently got started on Kevin Pollak's show, How Did This Get Made?, Comedy Bang Bang and Steve Austin's show.

I do! I'm getting back into RoosterTeeth a lot recently. I've kinda let Red vs. Blue pass me by a bit, but I've been watching a ton of "Let's Play"'s and I listen to the podcast. Those guys have the best jobs in the world.