DVDVR Message Board

Phillip Seymour Hoffman dead...

Just Dave

I don't have an issue with Drake's feelings.  While indeed selfish, they're honest.  He simply should have kept them to himself.

I think it says a lot about how much of a bubble guys like him are in when you write something like that, hit post, and never does it once cross your mind "This is going to make me look like an absolute scumbag to people."

• Like 1

I'm all for progressive mental health movements, but as someone who has done some significant dabbling in his past, the "addiction is a disease" POV couldn't be further from the truth. Lack of self control isn't a medical condition.

We can debate what constitutes a disease, but addiction has been previously identified as a series of genes. It doesn't really have much to do with a 'lack of self control'. I obviously don't have knowledge of Hoffman's generic make up, so I don't know that this applies, but if he had the markers, he could have all the self control in the world in some aspects of his life but fall deep into addictive behavior due to various environmental factors which he was clearly exposed to.

• 4 months later...

Also he was an addict. So making good life decisions wasn't his strong suit sadly.

The fact that his will was done in 2004 I think says a lot. I am sure he was more focused on getting his next fix than thinking "I should get with my attorney and update my will."

Also he was an addict. So making good life decisions wasn't his strong suit sadly.

The fact that his will was done in 2004 I think says a lot. I am sure he was more focused on getting his next fix than thinking "I should get with my attorney and update my will."

His accountant apparently advised Hoffmam to update his will on multiple occasions.

Hoffman being worth $35 million is a bit of a shock. He didn't really break out until the last few years and, even then, he only worked a handful of roles in big blockbusters and stuck to mostly lower key stuff. Obviously he had money, I just didn't think it would be THAT much.

They get a lump sum when it first gets signed, then decent amounts every time it airs, depending on what they signed for. Artie Lange had said on Stern's show, the smartest decision he'd ever made was doing Elf, as he'd get paid a ridiculous amount of money every December.  

I'm gonna guess a good part of PSH's money came from Mission: Impossible 3 though.