DVDVR Message Board

Phillip Seymour Hoffman dead...

Just Dave

He was really great. It's a big loss.

On a related note, good fucking luck to whoever has to recast Mockingjay. Big shoes.

Well it looks like they had already finished the first part of Mockingjay - and its entirely possible he had finished all his scenes for Part Two

My Top 6 Favourite PSH performances

'The Master': PSH as L. Ron Hubbard basically.  He works so hard to present himself as an intellectual and a messiah, that when he snaps and screams at people it's alternately funny and sad.

'Jack Goes Boating': PSH directed himself in this, about a lonely guy who falls in love and has to figure things out for a shot at happiness.

'Doubt': He seems like such a good guy, playing a priest, that the accusations against him just cut you to the core.

'Happiness': As the lonely obscene phone caller who gets rejected by the object of his affection.

'25th Hour': As the sad teacher whose friends is going to jail, he's the emotional core of the film.  His flirting with his student is funny and devasatating all at once.

'Love Liza': He plays a man whose wife committed suicide, who has taken to huffing gas to cope and can't bring himself to read the suicide note.  He's just staggering: alternately pitiful and sad then ebullient and enthusiastic.  It's hard not to view this as a deeply personal role, now, considering his late life struggles.

And, man, that leaves out a lot of great roles/characters: Capote, The Big Lebowski, Magnolia, The Savages, Before the Devil Knows You're Dead, The Talented Mr. Ripley...I could keep going still, too.

Just absolutely horrible.

He had a history of drug addiction so not terribly surprising, but still absolutely tragic and a HUGE loss to acting.

Really really sucks.

This. Hard to talk. Kinda saw that guy as my cinematic avatar. Was a LOT like me in so many ways. Really wanted him to play basically-me in a movie I wrote one day. Damn. Fuck.

So sorry for your loss.

• Like 1

'The Master': PSH as L. Ron Hubbard basically.  He works so hard to present himself as an intellectual and a messiah, that when he snaps and screams at people it's alternately funny and sad.

PIG FUCK!

I'm not one for RIP threads ever but PSH was a titan of the cinema. He's one of the mot talented actors ever. I went to his IMDB and forgot about how many insanely good movies he was in. He had great taste in picking roles and also made those roles even better. I had no idea he had drug issues.

My favorite role of his was Brandt, the synchophant in The Big Lebowski.  But he's great in pretty much everything.

'The Master': PSH as L. Ron Hubbard basically. He works so hard to present himself as an intellectual and a messiah, that when he snaps and screams at people it's alternately funny and sad.

'Jack Goes Boating': PSH directed himself in this, about a lonely guy who falls in love and has to figure things out for a shot at happiness.

'Doubt': He seems like such a good guy, playing a priest, that the accusations against him just cut you to the core.

'Happiness': As the lonely obscene phone caller who gets rejected by the object of his affection.

'25th Hour': As the sad teacher whose friends is going to jail, he's the emotional core of the film. His flirting with his student is funny and devasatating all at once.

'Love Liza': He plays a man whose wife committed suicide, who has taken to huffing gas to cope and can't bring himself to read the suicide note. He's just staggering: alternately pitiful and sad then ebullient and enthusiastic. It's hard not to view this as a deeply personal role, now, considering his late life struggles.

And, man, that leaves out a lot of great roles/characters: Capote, The Big Lebowski, Magnolia, The Savages, Before the Devil Knows You're Dead, The Talented Mr. Ripley...I could keep going still, too.

No love for "Charlie Wilson's War"? I have a weird love for that movie.

Owning Mahowny was a really great movie of his, too. Hell, it's hard to name a bad Philip Seymour Hoffman movie.

That might be his best of his little-seen films, and I may even watch that tonight in tribute.  The scene where he goes on the winning streak of his life and his shocking lack of reaction to it is haunting.  And Jesus Christ, he was amazing in Before the Devil Knows You're Dead too. 

I'm not sure I'll ever be able to watch Synecdoche, NY again though.  It's already one of the most depressing movie experiences I've ever had, now it's only moreso considering how the sadness in the movie must have carried over into real life too.

• Like 1

PIG FUCK!

Assuming people have seen this, but it's still awesome, and NSFW, someone took the trailer for the movie 'Her' and replaced Scarlett Johanssen's voice with quotes from PSH movies.  It's incredible, and does indeed use the quote you mentioned (Which is my favourite part).

EDIT: Can't get the link to C+P because that never works on here for me, lately. Just google "Philip Seymour Hoffman Her trailer" and you should turn it up.  I know for a fact it's on Film Drunk

'The Master': PSH as L. Ron Hubbard basically. He works so hard to present himself as an intellectual and a messiah, that when he snaps and screams at people it's alternately funny and sad.

'25th Hour': As the sad teacher whose friends is going to jail, he's the emotional core of the film. His flirting with his student is funny and devasatating all at once.

'Love Liza': He plays a man whose wife committed suicide, who has taken to huffing gas to cope and can't bring himself to read the suicide note. He's just staggering: alternately pitiful and sad then ebullient and enthusiastic. It's hard not to view this as a deeply personal role, now, considering his late life struggles.

No love for "Charlie Wilson's War"? I have a weird love for that movie.

You know, I haven't actually seen it.  I'm moving it to the mid-burner, to watch after I finish with the 2013-watching.