DVDVR Message Board

24...getting a few episodes coming in May

misanthrope304

Doesn't a "few episodes" go against the only unique thing about the show? I dropped off during the first season, but isn't the whole thing based around a single day with 24 eps representing only an hour? Did they continue pushing this through the series?

It was all down hill after the first season where they'd already put all the cards they had on the table and just kept rehashing them. I dropped out after season 3 and I assume it was just more of the same for how over many seasons they had after that.

I predict there will be a mole in CTU. That place really needs to work on its background checks.

THERE'S NO TIME!

Does this mean I'll actually have to finish that awful last season now?

The last few episodes are a really "fun" bad because it's just Jack not giving a crap and going completely rogue.

Doesn't a "few episodes" go against the only unique thing about the show? I dropped off during the first season, but isn't the whole thing based around a single day with 24 eps representing only an hour?

Not really. That was the initial hook, but there definitely was a point where they could have walked away from it. (In fact, in the later seasons, they were playing pretty loose with the real-time gimmick, as there would often be these odd leaps in time and place that went beyond even the usual "Jack can make it across LA in 15 minutes at rush hour" business.) What was unique about the show, what really made it interesting when it was at its best, was that it would put Jack in these impossible moral situations and force him to make the choice that no one else could make. At the height of its powers, there wasn't another show on network TV doing anything like that. Even to this day, there still isn't, although cable is a much bigger deal now and filled with men bucking conventional morality.

Stubborn adherence to the 24-hour conceit is one of the many things that ultimately dragged the show down, and I'm hopeful, not overly optimistic but hopeful, that ditching it will free them up to get back to the basics of the show. If nothing else, 50% fewer episodes should mean 50% fewer preposterous swerves.

Another thing that really hurt the show over the long haul was their insistence on killing off or otherwise dispensing with every supporting character except Chloe and Kim. The last few seasons were such a drag because you always had to wait for them to set up all the new characters, instead of being able to just hit the ground running with a bunch of established characters with years of backstory built in. And, of course, by then the show had trained you to expect that of the new characters, 1) at least one of them would be a mole, and 2) half of them would probably be dead by the end. So why even bother caring?

The only character introduced in the latter seasons who really "stuck" was Renee Walker, the FBI agent who comes around to doing things the Jack Bauer Way in season 7 and kinda goes crazy between 7 and 8. She was neat. So obviously they killed her. I think that was the point I was offically glad the show was ending.

I think the highest point of the show was when he took control of a commercial jetliner full of people while in the baggage compartment by cutting open the hydraulic ducts or whatever and physically pulling the cables attached to the ailerons? maybe?

I'm fuzzy on the details because I was jumping up and down in my bedroom screaming "HE DOIN' THAT!!!!! HE DOIN' THAT!!!!"

Almeida is still alive. He was shot in the hand and taken into FBI custody after his return from the dead as a villain.

The 24 gimmick helped in the beginning but it also led to plots being drawn out far too long. A tight 13 episode season would be much better and I am PUMPED for the return

I didn't even realize that was Chloe under Jack's arm until I saw it mentioned on Twitter. They totally Lisbeth Salander'd her up. So Jack is gonna have to save her from her assignment infiltrating London's underground punk raves?

Also, best moment ever was "I'm gonna need a hacksaw..." (narrowly ahead of Jack kneecapping Robocop's wife) and Renee was awesome. It sucked that they killed her off just so they can force-feed us that "love story" between Jack and Audrey when Renee was by far the better match for him.

• 1 month later...