DVDVR Message Board

The Assassin's Creed Series

EVA

Yeah, I totally blanked on the Ezio Trilogy already getting a remaster.  But I still don't think Rogue was overall good enough to remaster unless they're doing it as a lead in to remastering 3 (which I wouldn't mind, since I found the combat in 3 to be the series best), and Rogue is at least good at setting the table for the secondary plot of 3.

• 4 weeks later...

I finished ORIGINS last week, and I really liked it.  My #1 criteria for these games at this point is how much I simply enjoy being in the world.  Are the locations vast and beautiful?  Are there enough things to do that the world doesn't feel barren, but not so much that it's overwhelming?  Is traversal simple and convenient?  Does the base gameplay loop feel satisfying?

For me, ORIGINS gets a resounding yes to all.  Sure, the plot is kinda "blah" (though the relationship between Bayek and Aya is REALLY good), and the new combat is probably not all that well-realized, but those are well down the list of the things I'm looking for in an AC game.

I'd probably put it as my 3rd favorite entry in the series, behind the Ezio trilogy (really hard for me to distinguish between those games) and Black Flag.

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi AC thread, which thanks to that PSN Ubisoft Publisher sale, I ended up grabbing the entire series on PS4 for $110, which is good if I want to replay the Ezio's, 3, 4, and finally finish Rogue.  However, I haven't played an AC game this gen, so time to recitify that:

3 Sequences and a few hours into Unity, and WOOF.  I see why this game got some shit.  Already hit a couple graphical glitches, which is kinda alright given that this was kinda rushed to get out near system launch.  But holy fucking shit, did Ubisoft take a giant step backward in overall play.  After the slick, silky smooth gameplay of 4 and Rogue, they for whatever reason decided to scrap all that and resurrect the husk of 1 and build the game off that.  So yeah, levels are back, game worked into the "RPG Elements" of modern games where you have to slowly level up and buy all your techniques, which makes some sense as we're playing someone on Ezio at the start of 2's level with barely any training.  But 1 unselectable Hidden Blade after 6 games of 2 that you can use as your melee weapons is not great.   Combat is not great as everything is a blade sponge, after 4 games of kill streaks and quick kills.  And the free runnings, fuck, free running was great in 4 and Rogue, like they had it nailed, now we're back to needing 2-3 buttons to do anything and Arno handles like a pregnant yak most of the time.  The only thing I'm really annoyed about is that some of the costume upgrades (like Arno's upgraded standard outfit) is locked behind co-op missions, and I'm thinking my likelyhood of getting actual co-op partners non-existant, so I probably have to overlevel to go back and get that stuff (since I can solo them, but lack of kill streak combat and fighting more than 2 people at a time is pretty much instant death).

So yeah, I'm going to run and complete this for completion's sake, and that it only really cost me $6.33 since it was in the 3 pack with 4 and Syndicate so I'm not mad about getting it, but yeah, I just want to power through this and get to Syndicate, which I heard corrects all Unity's mistakes. 

This entire series is my biggest "pile of shame" backlog 

I am still stuck at Revelations which I think I have started 3 times

I own III, Black Flag and Syndicate and definitely want Origins and Odyssey

I might jump to Odyssey since it is so different than the rest (and has the Mass Effect feel that I want)

I thought about jumping to Odyssey and working backward but I want to eventually play everything and in playing games that don't take place "chronologically" (Yes, I know the AC series takes place correctly for the Current Day setup but the proper stuff is out of order) is that playing them out of order screws with you since the controls/features are different and make less sense (see, the Metal Gear Series).  I will probably swing out and play the III remaster (since I get it free with Odyssey) when it comes out since III is my co-favorite of the series with IV.

So... Unity fucking sucks.  I mean, the story is fine, but the gameplay is NOT fun at all, upgrades are locked behind co-op missions, which fucking suck to solo, leveling up takes FOREVER because story solo missions only give 2 points.  The controls are horrible and buggy, it's just not fun at all.  I think I might actually tap and move on to Syndicate, because I'm starting to hate play this game and that's not fun and I got better things to do with my time than hate play a game.

I hated it and it was the one where playing AC went from a joy to a chore. They somehow made one of the most fascinating points in modern history boring. Syndicate was a bit better but I stopped playing it when RDR2 came out and am in no rush to pick it up. I am tempted to skip it to get to the "re-energized/different direction" AC games that came after that are near the top of my pile of shame.

Just now, Oyaji said:

You didn't like the naval battles in Black Flag?! WHUT?! I think you're the first person I've seen that opinion from.

Fucking hated them. Never finished the game because of them.

• Sad 1

23 hours ago, Raziel said:

I mean, if you only played 1 and 2, I can see it, but coming off Black Flag and Rogue, nope.  

I had played the entire series before Unity came out .  And, yes, coming off Black Flag, Unity is a great game.  As good as AC2 or Black Flag?  No.  But still great.

12 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Fucking hated them. Never finished the game because of them.

I can see that.  I liked them, and loved Black Flag, but I can totally see where they could be annoying.  There were definitely times when I found them annoying and frustrating.

• 4 weeks later...

I really want to love Odyssey, I do.  It's gorgeous, I love the Cult hunting and the Mercenaries, and how wide open it is.

But holy fucking shit does the combat SUCK.  I mean, Origins was good, but for all the improvements all around they did with Odyssey, they managed to completely fuck up the combat, then toss in the bullshitty super health bars on some enemies and over emphasize the ability upgrades at the same time making it impossible to balance Assassin skills and Warrior skills.  I'm getting frustrated as hell with up to level equipment and skills getting constantly fucked up by a Cultist that started 2 levels below where I am now because I have to hit them 234523453245 times while only able to take 5 hits myself.

I honestly thought I just sucked at the game.  For all I know I probably still do but it's at least nice to know I'm not alone on hating the combat.  I still need to play it again but after trying to get through one area repeatedly I just gave up for awhile.

I mean, Origins had Shields and the different types of swords had bonuses and strategy around them (like I loved using Scythe Swords because they spun targets around for critical hits to the back), but Odyssey has none of that, power swings are SO FUCKING SLOW, and the bad guys have too many unblockables.  And it's kinda a big fucking error that a Spartan 2 generations from Leonidas doesn't use a fucking shield.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...