DVDVR Message Board

The Assassin's Creed Series

EVA

Unless I try to go for 100% on this, I'm done with everything and the Jack the Ripper DLC. Logged I think about...60 hours?

Anyway, I loved it. In my opinion, this is the best non-naval AC game since Brotherhood. Side missions that weren't tedious? A main storyline that flowed well, yet was still open-ended? Very little present day stuff? It ticked all the boxes. Allowing you to play as two characters was awesome too - Jacob was more the brawler, Evie was the stealthy figure, so you could play how you wanted when you weren't in an "exclusive" mission. Plus, variable hand to hand weapons - knives, cane swords, or kukris, your choice! I exclusively used cane swords, fwiw.

The usual AC glitches were there, but not to the degree of Unity. I would have liked to see more of the murder mysteries come back, but you can't get everything you want. I loved how you could plow through the main missions at your own pace and ignore the side missions, or vice versa, but eventually needed to take care of everything if you wanted to struggle much less throughout the course of the game.

Bringing the game into a modern era didn't hurt like I expected - the carriages were a cool addition, and I really liked the rope launcher too, even if I didn't use it a ton.

Next up, I would love to see Moscow or Berlin from roughly the same era - I think that would be awesome.

Yeah, whoever designed the progression for this game did a really nice job. The main missions really propel you along. Yesterday, I looked up and realized I was already at Memory 5 of 8 and couldn't believe it. But, at the same time, they do a nice job of keeping the level of enemies you encounter in the main story just stronger than what your own power level would be on a straight play-through without additional XP from side missions to keep it challenging without making it so maddeningly difficult that you feel like you MUST grind the side stuff to have a fighting chance.

Just finished Memory 5, and, to this point, I feel like Starrick is by far the best villain of the whole series. The scene at the end of 5 where he's playing the piano and singing the sad song to himself is just so wonderfully idiosyncratic in a way that the villains of this game never are.

I keep fucking up the unique kill assassinations because I listen to them talk too long. Come on! If I've gone through the trouble of pulling the scenario off, the game should execute the kill whether I press the button or not.

Glad they're slowing down production. The past 5 years have been too inconsistent.

AC3: underwhelming

Black Flag: excellent

Unity: dogshit

Syndicate: excellent

Good idea to skip the next disappointing year in the cycle.

Black Flag was seriously one of the best games I've ever played.  I absolutely adored the pirate ship, from traveling and hearing the shantys to hunting white whales to battling other ships.  Syndicate didn't hook me the same but the play is still awesome and the atmosphere in London is perfect.

• Like 1

Rumors about Empire originated this morning on the 4chan boards, of all places, where an anonymous poster claiming to be a developer at Ubisoft

stahp

I thought so too but the editor did say it lined up with what he had been hearing. Isn't Kotaku a fairly credible source?

Agreed with everything Sweetser said. Black Flag's ship boss battles were sooo difficult yet rewarding when victory is finally achieved. The 2v1 handicap match in particular. One of the best games I've ever played and that's with what I'd consider an above average story. I liked the story in 3 better but the locale and mechanics of Black Flag were incredible. Unity was so flippin' dull after experiencing the near face melting awesomeness of BF. I'll pick up Syndicate when the goty edition is $30.

Edited by Oyaji

The beauty of Black Flag was that it gave you everything you like about the AC series done really well PLUS this whole other great game about being a pirate.

It was just FUN to play with that ship. There were days I was content to just troll around, pillaging and plundering, without any regard for missions or side quests.

I doubt they'll ever top it.

• Like 2

Rumors about Empire originated this morning on the 4chan boards, of all places, where an anonymous poster claiming to be a developer at Ubisoft

stahp
I thought so too but the editor did say it lined up with what he had been hearing. Isn't Kotaku a fairly credible source?

Well, rereading, Schreier said his "usual sources" inside Ubisoft confirmed the 4chan poster's claims, so it's not as bad, (and Schreier rightly and properly cited the original source, as much as I'm sure he'd prefer to have a more reputable person to attributed it to.)

Glad they're slowing down production. The past 5 years have been too inconsistent.

AC3: underwhelming

Black Flag: excellent

Unity: dogshit

Syndicate: excellent

Good idea to skip the next disappointing year in the cycle.

You skipped Rogue.

And, personally, I liked Unity even if its story sucked.

I meant to make a note I was only talking about "major releases," which I don't include Rogue among becasue, while it's a good game, it's clearly just a reskinned, pared-down version of Black Flag that was pushed out the door so they'd have something to sell to gamers who hadn't made the next-gen jump yet. They dumped it on the same day as Unity with little fanfare or support.

I haven't had much time to play this yet, but I'm just getting through Evie's opening assassination and this is really great so far. Much better than the shitty tutorial that opened Unity, and, really, more fun than the island chase from Black Flag.

Got this during the Thanksgiving sale and finally started tonight. Got through the prologue and the first kidnapping. This game is fantastic.

It's gorgeous, plays smooth, restores the features unity was missing, the characters ate awesome, and they're already assassins when the game starts? Um, yes please.

I liked Unity, but this feels like it could be the new best in the series it at least best non-Ezio game.