DVDVR Message Board

The Assassin's Creed Series

EVA

The story looks more interesting, which has historically been a good thing. The thing about putting out a new AC game every year is that they can't really revamp everything. The gameplay for Black Flag was the same as III, with a slightly more expanded sailing system and it was the best one since the Ezio trilogy.

They've completely bungled the contemporary storyline and they have no idea what they are doing with that anymore.

What they should be doing is dropping it entirely.

Target has Unity for $10, is it worth picking up?Ā  I don't really care if the story is bad, just wondering more if it is even playable with the glitches.Ā  I recently played through Freedom Cry and the glitches got really annoying at points to the point I almost quit on it.

Target has Unity for $10, is it worth picking up?Ā  I don't really care if the story is bad, just wondering more if it is even playable with the glitches.Ā  I recently played through Freedom Cry and the glitches got really annoying at points to the point I almost quit on it.

Ā 

Yeah, for $10, it's a no-brainer. And like the others said, the glitches are largely gone anyway. I had one small one that I noticed my whole time playing.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still saving up Amazon gift cards (thank you Bing Rewards!) but plan to buy this just in time for my annual Christmas vacation. Here's hoping Amazon has a good sale at the right time :)

Side note: Sign up for Bing Rewards, y'all. You get points for doing searches. Just by doing dummy searches on Bing (I search the years 1901-1930 every day), I get enough points every 2-1/2 weeks for a $5 Amazon gift card. It's not much but it's free money. I'd be halfway to AC Syndicate by now if I hadn't been a nice guy and used my points on a Starbucks GC for my wife...

I'm still saving up Amazon gift cards (thank you Bing Rewards!) but plan to buy this just in time for my annual Christmas vacation. Here's hoping Amazon has a good sale at the right time :)

Side note: Sign up for Bing Rewards, y'all. You get points for doing searches. Just by doing dummy searches on Bing (I search the years 1901-1930 every day), I get enough points every 2-1/2 weeks for a $5 Amazon gift card. It's not much but it's free money. I'd be halfway to AC Syndicate by now if I hadn't been a nice guy and used my points on a Starbucks GC for my wife...

I do that with mpoints/mplaces. Usually get a $10 BN/Amazon/BW3 egc every month or so.

Anyway, now that we've all revealed how we're beating the system...

How's the game? I picked it up today as part of the Target sale and installed it along with a bunch of the DLC that came along with it, but I'm probably not going to start playing until next week.

• 2 weeks later...

I've logged roughly 10 hours (but probably more) into Syndicate, and I have to say...this is probably my favorite AC game since ACII. yeah, even better than Black Flag, for as much as I loved the naval combat.

Ā 

The grappling hook makes climbing and traveling so much easier. Much less worries about taking a minute or two to climb a spire to sync a viewpoint, or start a mission, or traverse across the city.

Ā 

Each section of London (I think there's six) is broken up into multiple different districts, which can be opened up by completing a given mission - the usual assassination, a kidnapping, a stronghold takedown, or a factory mission, which is essentially "child slavery that needs to be broken up".

Ā 

Each area of the city also has stronger enemies, so you can't exactly mow through the entire city in one night syncing all the viewpoints and such.

Ā 

Multiple missions can only be done with either Evie or Jacob, so you can't just rely on one and not the other. Furthermore, many of the items require you to be at a certain level or mission to equip them, so it's a lot harder to just farm for XP and get the best gear right away.

Ā 

The combat is less button mashing than in the past - enemies will need to have their blocks countered and their attacks parried quite often. You can't just keep smashing the A button and expect to succeed.

Ā 

The missions themselves seem quite varied so far for where I am (sequence 4), with some stealth, assassination, and creativity needed to max out.

• 1 month later...

Okay, I finally started up SYNDICATE last night. I only played through to the point where the first district of London opens up to you, but I can already tell this game is going to be worlds better than UNITY. The way it throws you straight into the action is very reminiscent of BLACK FLAG. And Jacob and Evie already display more personality than Connor or Arno ever did.

Tutorials don't have to be boring!