DVDVR Message Board

The Assassin's Creed Series

EVA

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Assassins Creed: Syndicate (not Victory)

Set in Industrial Revolution London.  Two main characters, interchangeable in open world play, but locked on a specific one for each mission.  They say it's more of a "brawler" than previous games.

I'm mostly done Unity and it's got to be among the weakest entries in the series. Just how much of a slog Unity can be is highlighted when contrasted with the ridiculously fun gameplay of Black Flag. There's nothing engaging about the story, gameplay, characters, and they even made the French Revolution boring (I understand how a lot of leftist politicians were pissed with how the revolution was portrayed). Not feeling it in the slightest.

Victorian England is another boring choice for a setting. Why not the end of the Tokugawa Shogunate/Meiji Restoration? Or the Opium Wars in China? Or the colonization of Africa? All three of those settings would fit the whole assassins vs. templar storyline like a glove. Or anything not covering Western Europe or America? And if you're going to do England, Cromwell is your prototypical villainous historical figure they love to trot out, so why not 17th century England? I suppose going from one revolution where they killed a king to another would be boring but I'm sure Jack the Ripper and trains will fix everything for Syndicate. 

Fuck you tromataker, I've been asking for Victorian London since the second one!

My idea was for it to tie into the Springheeled Jack mythos though, Jack The Ripper is overdone.

This and Arkham and The Witness means I know have to buy a PS4 :(

• Like 1

Thought the trailer and gameplay footage both looked fantastic. Looks like they've decided to de-congest the city streets a bit to keep up the framerate, unlike the last game. That's a very good thing. As always, the environment looks incredible. The new moves and techniques look like fun, too. Only question now is the story...

Off the top of my head.

Industrial revolution.

Isimbard Kingdom Brunel.

Crystal Palace (not the team, the actual palace)

Death of prince Albert, maybe?

And sidequests of developing chemicals, tansportation

This could be really cool.

• 1 month later...

Okay - Black Flag is going to be the Free with Gold game starting July 1 on the Xbone

I will get it but my question is this - since I can't remember.

I still need to play/beat Revelations and III but can I play Black Flag without ruining those other games?

• 3 months later...

Anybody picking up Syndicate on Friday? I'm still a little miffed at Ubisoft over the Might & Magic Collector's Edition fiasco - even though I am not personally impacted by it - so I will probably hold off on buying it. Also, we all know that Ubisoft games go on sale 5 minutes after their release, so why pay full price? Been burned on that before. So...the goal is to find it for cheap, preferably used, before my Christmas vacation :)

Unity was a bland piece of shit, particularly so after being a pirate in Black Flag. I got about 95% through the story and realized I had no desire to play it any longer. It's collecting dust at a friend's place. 

This game looks an awful lot like Unity, so I'll wait until it's $15 or $20 max. Time for them to move towards something not so white with their setting to recapture my interest. Or bring back pirates.