DVDVR Message Board

NHL/Sochi - February 2014

Dolfan in NYC

I'm not saying there are no other good referees. I'm saying refusing to use good referees because they're from Windsor instead of Detroit even though they referee the same pro players in the same pro league and both got invited to the same Olympics on the same system of merit, is the same logic that ends in some Paraguayan cab driver refereeing France vs. Italy at the world cup of soccer and it's fucking stupid.

If the idea is referee "neutrality", then the idea that using Americans, Russians, or any of the other major countries achieves that is so unbelievably bad logic I can't even begin to fathom why we'd just draw the line there. Either go all the way with it, or don't.

He probably took an Advil or some such nonsense. I'm all for keeping drugs out of sports but the Olympics have an amazingly draconian drug policy - and they still probably miss stuff. Good thing football isn't an Olympic sport because I doubt more than a handful of them would pass their drug test.

Anyway, the media evidently voted on an MVP and All-Star Team.

Teemu Selanne was voted Tournament MVP.

All Star Team:

G: Henrik Lundqvist D: Erik Karlsson; Drew Doughty, F: Teemu Selanne; Phil Kessel; Mikael Granlund

He probably took an Advil or some such nonsense. I'm all for keeping drugs out of sports but the Olympics have an amazingly draconian drug policy - and they still probably miss stuff. Good thing football isn't an Olympic sport because I doubt more than a handful of them would pass their drug test.

All Star Team:

G: Henrik Lundqvist D: Erik Karlsson; Drew Doughty, F: Teemu Selanne; Phil Kessel; Mikael Granlund

No fucking way the NFL would ever let it's players compete in an Olympic tournament. It would be like the IFAF where the US team was all college graduates from all three divisions and the NAIA with zero pro experience.

All Star Team:

No fucking way the NFL would ever let it's players compete in an Olympic tournament. It would be like the IFAF where the US team was all college graduates from all three divisions and the NAIA with zero pro experience.

Outside of Canada and maybe mexico is there any countries that could fill teams?

Maybe a better example would be baseball since we already saw what insulting the Olympics by withholding the A, B,C, D, and E level pros results in for game quality (and there were still crazy people complaining it got the axe). But everyone passed their tests! I really do feel for Backstrom because it seems like he (and his doctor) made an honest mistake, and it wasn't one that needed to result in more than a warning, now his Olympic memory will always be tainted asking himself "what if" about if he'd played.

If the NHL does pull out, which would be shit, hopefully they at least just make it an extension of the world juniors and not into a glorified Spengler Cup.

All Star Team:

Outside of Canada and maybe mexico is there any countries that could fill teams?

The IFAF does a World Cup (I learned this through Dean and his love of international gridiron) with teams the likes of the UK, Canada, Germany, Japan... they don't have any handicaps the way the USA team does (though other than Canada none of those countries has a football league above the semipro level), but the NFL AND AFL's leftovers have curb stomped all comers with the exception of Japan in 2007.

If the NHL does pull out, which would be shit, hopefully they at least just make it an extension of the world juniors and not into a glorified Spengler Cup.

This. Olympic soccer is basically a glorified junior World Cup, so why not hockey?

Though other than soccer and (to a lesser extent) hockey international team sports are mostly a joke. Baseball's trying with the World Baseball Classic, but football and basketball?

I should have clarified; I was referring to the international levels of the sports most prominent in North America. As for hockey, I can't take a "world championship" seriously if it takes place during the club level's most prestigious playoff. That'd be like FIFA deciding the World Cup was happening during the Champions League. (Yes, I know the Champions League is spaced out over a farther stretch of time, but my point still stands.)

• Like 1

Down Goes Brown ‏@DownGoesBrown 5m

OK, at least Kesler had some foreshadowing, but turning Martin St. Louis heel right before the deadline is just sloppy, on-the-fly booking.

Legit worried these Kadri/Kesler rumors have some steam behind them. The radio guy I listen to on my way to work every morning is losing it on twitter already.

You gotta take Luongo too.