DVDVR Message Board

NHL/Sochi - February 2014

Dolfan in NYC

It is an extremely painful time to be an Islanders fan, every time they get some momentum they start throwing players away. It's horrible and extremely disheartening. They are looking to trade MacDonald as well now. When are they going to start playing NHL players real NHL salaries? If they cannot consistently put a good product on the ice no one is going to come watch them & moving to Brooklyn won't mean shit. They need real owners and a real GM. Enough is enough damn it.

As an aside, I still think it's a crime that Okposo isn't on Team USA.

I seriously doubt a contender would trade three roster talents for Vanek. I think it's just the Islanders being cheap.

Oh I never said three roster talents, I sad three contracts.  That could be a big appeal to a team looking to acquire Vanek.  Say, for instance, the Minnesota Wild (Not saying this is happening or anything) decide they want Vanek.  They could then say "We'll give you one of our good young players (say like Mikael Granlund or Charlie Coyle), you have to take Dany Heatley (for contract reasons) and another slot say Mike Rupp, Josh Caron or Colton Jobke and since you're taking the last two off our hands (opening up a contract slot to grab someone off of waivers or pick up a guy for a pick) we'll throw in a pick, as well."  Like I said, I'm not saying it will happen, but it's a possibility now.

What is and isn't considered a hit in women's hockey is very basketball block/charge like. When people say there's no hitting in women's hockey, that isn't exactly true especially for some of the craftier ladies.  I can also see why concussions are so high because there's a lot of people making "blind" plays and not expecting to get hit but someone gets in their way.

Dave Hodge - TSN @TSNDaveHodge 6m

From what we've heard of journalists' hotel rooms in Sochi, I'm guessing they resemble the current state of the Vancouver Canucks.

First time Dave Hodge has beat me to a joke I wish I'd thought of first.

Also, Jon Quick has been sort of garbage lately. Team USA should be Ryan Miller's all the way now.

Dave Hodge - TSN @TSNDaveHodge 6m

From what we've heard of journalists' hotel rooms in Sochi, I'm guessing they resemble the current state of the Vancouver Canucks.

First time Dave Hodge has beat me to a joke I wish I'd thought of first.

Also, Jon Quick has been sort of garbage lately. Team USA should be Ryan Miller's all the way now.

I don't think Quick has been, I just think the team in front of him is playing pretty crappy in terms of converting scoring chances.

Though I think Miller has earned a shot at the starter spot.

"So, Eddie, is the larger Olympic ice gonna help generate offense?" "No, not really. Defensemen will just defend between the dots and let guys skate down the sides where they aren't dangerous."

*Swedish forward flies down the side of the ice and blasts a shot past the Czech goaltender*

The expert analysis of Eddie Olczyk, ladies and gentlemen.