DVDVR Message Board

NHL/Sochi - February 2014

Dolfan in NYC

Official NHL records lists the pick that year as forfeited, but the Sabres still list Taro in their media guide. Still one of the greatest NHL stories ever.

It's the most ridiculous radio talk in history. "Canada has so much talent they could send 3 teams and sweep the medals" followed by "OMG HOW IS CANADA GOING TO SURVIVE IF STAMKOS DOESN'T GO???"

C'mon now, everyone knows Team Canada will be eliminated in the QF's after PK Subban tries a spin deke, gets caught up ice and Russia scores on a 2-on-1 going the other way.

Literally no one other than the most unbelievable mouth breathers thinks we're doomed without Stamkos. Not that talk radio wouldn't, you know, encompass plenty of that.

PK Subban would be the #1 defensemen on that mighty Russian team. Plus being a black Russian would clearly not be Don Cherry's favourite beverage. I can only imagine the rants.

I think the idea that any one player affects things for almost any of the big 4 is kinda questionable. I mean, the US without Kessel and Kane would have a lack of scoring pop, but it wouldn't be a back breaker, there is not one player the Canadians could lose that would make me think they were not a threat, and I think the same could apply for the Sweeds and Russians.

The fact is, Olympic Hockey is a crap shoot. Any of those teams can beat any of the others. If we are talking playoff series, the Canadians would be heavily favored, and rightfully so, but it just takes one game with one hot goalie to eliminate anyone.

Literally no one other than the most unbelievable mouth breathers thinks we're doomed without Stamkos. Not that talk radio wouldn't, you know, encompass plenty of that.

PK Subban would be the #1 defensemen on that mighty Russian team. Plus being a black Russian would clearly not be Don Cherry's favourite beverage. I can only imagine the rants.

EDDIE-MURPHY-48HRS.jpg

• Like 1

Henrik Sedin appears to be out for Sochi as well. No word on if Daniel has also been injured through action of Stigmata.

Rumor is Mikael Backlund, of Calgary, will replace him.

Lots of rumors at this hour that EDM-LAK are in heavy talks on a deal around Sam Gagner and Kyle Clifford.  If Edmonton trades a 25-year-old C who averages about 40 points a year for a 23-year-old who has 5 points this year...well, it will be hard to defend.

Because Crosby never had any 100 point seasons before Chris Kunitz!

LOL That's the other great thing I hear on the radio - "Who will Crosby be able to play with?" Uhhh... anyone?

Man Canadians gets wacky during the Olympics.

Chicago trades a 4th round pick to NY Islanders for Pierre-Marc Bouchard and Peter Regin.  

Interesting move for a few reasons

-Isles GM Garth Snow's entire summer's worth of acquisitions were worth one 4th round pick. (I stole that one from Chris Botta)

-Chicago gets some depth for nothing, especially since New York is picking up 50% of each contract to the end of the year.  Regin's a 4th line center who probably won't play much, but Bouchard is interesting.  He was terrible on Long Island and overpaid at $2 million, but if he gets going at $1 million, I could see him looking good on Chicago's power-play.

-New York dumping some money, contract slots, could be indicative of an impending Thomas Vanek move as they could now move Vanek for three contracts without going near the max (I don't think they're close anyway but...), and if they're moving out some salary, it seems like maybe Vanek could be bringing back a roster player with some salary, too.  Maybe?  Or it's the Isles being cheap again...